The Two New HIWATT Leeds 50 & 25R Spring Reverb Amp Heads

The Hiwatt Leeds 25 R comes with a separate switching PSU .

1728021164612.jpeg

1728020889031.jpeg

Hiwatt has changed hands so many times now that I'm just inherently (maybe unfairly?) skeptical of any of the newer stuff. I have not personally played through a Hi-Tone, but everybody (including my amp tech) seems to think they've really nailed it.

I've owned now for 2 years an equivalent model which was called Crunch. It seems identical to the newer Leeds series. It seems the only difference involves an effects loop which the Crunch 50R combo doesn't have.

IMO, the amp is very well built. It isn't light at all at 37Lbs therefore, if weight concerns you, it could turn into a problem. For myself, i only play at home. After decades of playing guitar in a number of bands (since early 70s), I do not do so anymore.

A few facts I should note before giving my opinion: Since 1974, I used a large variety of amplifiers including Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall 1987 (no master volume) with matching 8X10 cab, Hiwatt 50W DR model head, and too many regular or practice amps to enumerate. At the moment, I use a Marshall Ori20W combo, an Ori 2X12 slanted Marshall cab I use with my Orange Crush mini 3W (by itself terrible; with the cab must be heard to believe check this review ) and a EHX 5mm pedal amp with a number of pedals (very good setup). I know many players do not like 70/80s Celestion however they work very well for my style (blues and late sixties + early 70s classic rock). The tone controls do feel like quality ones. The clean channel is superb!

The Octopulse speaker: I didn't like much the speaker itself. Even after a normal breaking in period, it sounded too brittle for my taste. I suspect the manufacturer installed such speaker to please a wider variety of genre, especially for people who play with a huge amount of distorted scooped sound. For this reason, I installed a week ago a Celestion 70/80 and what a difference! I imagine a Vintage 30 or Creamback would also work well. Another benefit: with the 70/80, the amp isn't as heavy since the speaker is lighter.

Does it sound like a DR? Of course it isn't a DR though it truly has the Hiwatt flavour in a transistor format. Is it loud enough for stage ? I believe so unless playing large venues but, with today's PA, it isn't a problem. Is it better than other offerings? It is if one considers the the price bracket however, you might want to change the speaker if you are playing classic rock. Also, It's a little more expensive than the regular Orange Crush series (and better) except for their Crush Pro which are much more pricey. It isn't a Katana. Having said that, I'm not a Katana fan. I do understand many like them. I never cared for amps with too many this and that. Would I buy it again? Yes. On the other hand, since I play at home, I would get the Leeds 25W head which is very affordable. Is it easy to acquire? No, you won't find many dealers in North America. If you can't, you could check Reverb. It'll send you to the warehouse located in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.

Reactions: V|J
What, actually, DOES a dimed DR103 sound like? I've never even been in the same room as a HIWATT.
Every amp has a sweet spot, the DR103's just happens to be real F'ing loud. To me it has the thump or thwack (that thing you can feel in your chest) of a Marshall but the sweetness and sparkle of a cranked Twin. You'll know when your ears start bleeding and you're totally ok with it! :LOL:

Every amp has a sweet spot, the DR103's just happens to be real F'ing loud. To me it has the thump or thwack (that thing you can feel in your chest) of a Marshall but the sweetness and sparkle of a cranked Twin. You'll know when your ears start bleeding and you're totally ok with it! :LOL:
Hahaha, nice! Just like old Ampegs, where the gain starts to come in as the volume knob is pushed past noon...

Back