The Sweetest, Most Pleasing Tones Of Your Life??

la szum

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
For me, it is right now. I am floored and blown away by the tones I am able to get consistently,
easily, and in multiple formats. :love:love

It's instant and consistent. :beer

Had some great tones in the past that I loved, but it was never as consistent as they are now? Is
it experience? Better gear? An older, more easily pleased me? An aggregation of all of those factors?:unsure:

How about you? When, where, why, and how did you get the sweetest, most pleasing (or crushing!)
tones of your life up until now?

:beer

Pay obeisance to your Crystal Lettuce Tone God for blessing you with

The Sweetest, Most Pleasing Tones Of Your Life​

ALEXANDER_DUMBLE_FEATURED.jpg

A couple fun ones stand out.

One was the first time I realized how you're supposed to actually use a boost pedal running into a DSL50 and 4x12, turning up the Marshall on the clean channel until it started to overdrive then hitting with an SD-1. Just a major kick ass sound.

Another was this weird little class A amp from the 80's called a Bedrock, and it was the nicest clean tone I ever heard. Just the sound in my head, a warm squishy tube clean. I actually stumbled upon one a few weeks ago and this particular one was in awful shape, really noisy, and bad.

Hm. I do Tone Laboratorying so I'm always fucking around with shit and I've also been tone cloning for decades.

I've got a bunch of combinations (and I can't remember them all) that please the Tone Gawdz so here's some:

'68 Plexi circuit w/tube rectifier
+MXR 6-band EQ
+Wampler EQuator
+Catalinbread Naga Viper
+MXR CBMOD
+Danelectro Breakdown
+BOSS OD-1 clone
+BadgerFX 1011

'66 Fender Deluxe
+built-in tremolo
+Friedman BEODD
+BOSS OD-1 clone
+ProCo RAT
+J Rockett The Dude
+J Rockett Archer IKON

ADA MP-1 S.S. clean
ADA MP-1 tube distortion
+ProCo RAT

SR&D Rockman Sustainor clean
+SR&D Rockman Stereo Chorus
+SR&D Rockman Stereo Echo

NAM using Mesa Boogie MkIII redstripe profile

NDSP Fortin Cali
NDSP Mesa Boogie MkIIc+/++
NDSP Fortin Nameless

Softube Marshall 2203
Softube Marshall Plexi

and wayyyy back in the day late 80's with a boosted, cranked Marshall 2210 into a 4x12 cab.

Last edited:
For me, it is right now. I am floored and blown away by the tones I am able to get consistently,
easily, and in multiple formats. :love:love

It's instant and consistent. :beer

Had some great tones in the past that I loved, but it was never as consistent as they are now? Is
it experience? Better gear? An older, more easily pleased me? An aggregation of all of those factors?:unsure:

How about you? When, where, why, and how did you get the sweetest, most pleasing (or crushing!)
tones of your life up until now?

:beer
It's hard to disagree with this... I'm trying to figure a way to, but I can't? :LOL:

Never before have I had the plethora or tones that I enjoy than at this moment. We live in great times for gear choice.

Question: Can tones in isolation (outside of a musical/band context) be great? :unsure:

And how would we really know?? :idk

Not poking a bear here. Just super curious.

Is salt great on its own or better and more "pleasing" when paired with something
sweet or spicy or sour?

For instance, I think it feels great to play super loud sometimes in isolation, but I never think
it is a great tone. Sometimes it just feels too much. Too heavy, dense, and present.

For instance, one time I showed up at practice and my friend was dialing in his rig.
It sounded amazing. Then I realized he was playing so loud that the snare was rattling
like a motherfucker, and as soon as I noticed the snare rattling I could kind of only
hear the snare rattling. Suddenly his tone wasn't that great. :bonk

:idk

:rofl

Another awesome tone, if I remember this right (haven't played the amp in a while) is on the Dual Rec MW, clean channel, Volume dimed, then bring in just enough gain to start breakup, and use the guitar volume and picking for dynamics.

Never would've thought a DR could do that so well!

Question: Can tones in isolation (outside of a musical/band context) be great? :unsure:

And how would we really know?? :idk

Not poking a bear here. Just super curious.

Is salt great on its own or better and more "pleasing" when paired with something
sweet or spicy or sour?

For instance, I think it feels great to play super loud sometimes in isolation, but I never think
it is a great tone. Sometimes it just feels too much. Too heavy, dense, and present.

Well, I love the way that GE Dover Drive sounds coming out of a real cab, but I’ve yet to capture the same sound using IR’s/DynaCabs. I can get pretty damn close with the DynaCabs and the question isn’t modeler/amp because I love it going into the FM9 and coming out of cabs.

I’d consider that a great tone, though I have no clue what it sounds like in isolation. I know I’d definitely need to chop some low end off it to sit in a mix and I’m curious how it would work in a band setting due to the more scooped nature of it, but on its own it’s quite pleasing.

Back