The one problem I have with all modelers

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Is that none of them sound their best to me until I hit about 97db @10ft or so when playing through a PA. For me that's not so true with my favorite guitar amps. Anyone else feel this way or experience similar and fixed it? If you did fix it what did you do to fix it?

Always better up loud. Which of course tends to negate certain advantages they have. But they are still enjoyable at a good range of volume levels across the board. I'd say at least?

Whilst louder is certainly better, I get pleasing sounds from an FM3 at significantly lower SPLs e.g. 84 dB or less (measured at 1m), but sat at about 8 feet away with a real cab, and no IRs or PA. I don't suppose that helps?

Last edited:
I definitely have more fun with one through real cabs at higher volumes because the physical feeling/interaction, but tonally it doesn't really matter what volume I'm at, I can find something in there that works. That said, I'm often mixing with my speakers down really low, like almost whisper quiet at times, my perspective on tonal stuff is most likely coming from a different place as a result of that.

Whilst louder is certainly better, I get pleasing sounds at significantly lower SPLs e.g. 84 dB or less (measured at 1m), but sat at about 8 feet away with a real cab, and no IRs or PA. I don't suppose that helps?

Yup. Sounds great to me at 6 to 8 feet through Studio Monitors, or into a power amp/cab setup at band volume.

I know I am doing something wrong. Not enough struggling here. ;)

@Bob Zaod Could you describe the aspects of the sound of your modeller at 97 dB through a PA that are pleasing you, and aren't there at a lower SPL?

Could it be a slight touch of speaker compression, even in a supposedly flat response speaker? That doesn't explain why it's not an issue for your guitar cab, though 🤔

One thing that's different about real guitar cabs is the significance of the baffle vibration that blends with the speaker tone.

I don't suppose that is as much of a thing in PA speakers? Then again, some of that effect should be captured in an IR.

Last edited:
@Bob Zaod Could you describe the aspects of the sound of your modeller at 97 dB through a PA that are pleasing you, and aren't there at a lower SPL?

Could it be a slight touch of speaker compression, even in a supposedly flat response speaker? That doesn't explain why it's not an issue for your guitar cab, though 🤔

I am guessing it's the dreaded "amp in the room" thing because I dont get the same experience outdoors.

I am guessing it's the dreaded "amp in the room" thing because I dont get the same experience outdoors.

Could well be. That's pretty much why I ended going the Amp where I'm at route with an SS power amp + cab and modeller. IRs are cool for recording or sending to FOH, obviously... but IRs + "FRFR" are not quite as pleasing to me when I'm just playing for my own pleasure; despite the loss of flexibility.

I do find that a subtle amount of compression added somewhere in the signal chain helps, though... depending upon amount of amp gain used, obviously. I tend to play low gain / cleaner, though.

Could well be. That's pretty much why I ended going the Amp where I'm at route with an SS power amp + cab and modeller. IRs are cool for recording or sending to FOH, obviously... but IRs + "FRFR" are not quite as pleasing to me when I'm just playing for my own pleasure; despite the loss of flexibility.

I do find that a subtle amount of compression added somewhere in the signal chain helps, though... depending upon amount of amp gain used, obviously. I tend to play low gain / cleaner, though.

Yep I use the JSAD LA COMP suggestion at the end of every single patch I make. Gives it more life.
htrhrfhbrtbrre.JPG

Any "slight touch" of signal chain compression is likely swamped out by ear compression at those spl: http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Nonlinear.htm

Back