The one problem I have with all modelers

I think it's a combination of these two:

I never thought I would say it, "But Fletcher Munson."

One thing that's different about real guitar cabs is the significance of the baffle vibration that blends with the speaker tone.

I don't suppose that is as much of a thing in PA speakers? Then again, some of that effect should be captured in an IR.

I think how a wooden guitar cabinet with a guitar speaker and baffle reacts is the biggest and main difference between the two listening paradigms, and of course, Fletcher Munson comes into play, with both, at louder volumes, etc.

For me, this whole subject is all about where and how I'm listening to my guitar. If I'm on a stage, with a raw, loud, and live drum kit and bass amp, I'd rather listen to a conventional amp mixed in with that stuff. If I'm playing along with backing tracks or a recording, it goes the other way, I'd rather my guitar fit into the mix of what I'm playing along with.

Right now, I do a hybrid, because that is how I hear my band. I get the live drums, bass, and my amp, bleeding from the stage, into my IEMs, and I get all of our vocals, her acoustic and the keys, coming directly and just into my ears, along with my guitar, via cab sim.

Cant Hear Baby Boomers GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Why isn’t Jason here btw… he doesn’t like tgp ( understandable) and we won’t hang him by the neck for his opinions…

"....."
"WHAT?!?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
"I SAi......"
"WHAT?!?!?!?!?"
"I SAID IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!"
"OOOOOH!!!!! YEAH!!! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!! THE REAL AMP JUST HAS THAT SOMETHING THAT I JUST CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON. ITS REAL SUBTLE, BUT TOTALLY IMPORTANT!!!!!!"
"WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?!?"

"SUBTLTY!!!"

Perhaps because most people here are down to 5 minutes tones or less.

Yeah I tend to fast forward til I see the editor. Usually 12 minutes in or so for something like a shelf eq video but he's great. He do like to hear himself talk.

For sure...it can be kind of a moving target depending on monitoring situation and volume. I'll find that at low volumes even studio monitors don't sound great, but with a little more volume it's fine.

Oddly enough my little Blackstar Fly 3 sounds pretty good for what it is at very low volumes, where my Catalyst 60 sounds really dark until it's up a bit more. Maybe the speaker size plays a part.

For me the biggest annoyance is having too many options or needing to dig around too much to get a sound. I really like to just twist a few knobs which doesn't match up well with super powerful and flexible all in one modelers.

Back