The MIJ Guitar Thread - Let’s See Them!

EOengineer

Roadie
The title says it all. We have some beautiful Japanese built guitars floating around this place. Let’s share pics and details!

I’ll start!

This is my 2015/2016 Tokai LSS-124. Has the typical Goldilocks 59 profile.

33901708-4201-45A4-BFE2-E497F3BD8B72.jpeg

This is a Tokai LS-138 (iirc) - snagged because I love plain tops. This guitar has the fattest 58 neck profile I’ve ever seen.

CF99AE49-1C99-423A-9046-549CDF2CF8BD.jpeg

2003 Burny RLG-90 - this one is a monster. 59 neck, Fat Diane pickups, 50s wiring, long neck tenon. Based on the pickup routing it’s been confirmed to have come out of the Tokai factory.

0612E435-9B7D-415F-A30F-528582A30586.jpeg

2004 Burny RLG-85VLD - another killer that I’m pretty sure came out of the Tokai factory due to some of the routing. 59 neck, burstbucker pros, crazy resonance.

06D1754C-BF14-4F1B-85DF-6F88741AC6B8.jpeg

2012 Fender TL-62 - I’m usually into baseball bat necks, but I’ve kept this guitar because it just nails the sleek 60s Fender vibe so thoroughly. Came from the factory with nicely rolled fret edges, low action, and plays like butter. Pickups are the Fender PV 64 tele set.

03A5A9BA-6BD2-43CC-9DAD-B0761C6BA1EB.jpeg

Last but not least a 2013 Fender TL-62B in trans blue - again, nails the 62 vibe but if I’m being totally honest I picked it up because it’s a total looker.

B838FD55-5C37-4233-9544-9552B5F14CBF.jpeg

Starfield Altair SJ Special

12898381_10208982498538990_161009051788646021_o.jpg

I also have this Burny RSA-65 which is dope but I'm not sure if it's actually MIJ or not

jgUKWvx.jpg
Beautiful guitars!

That’s so funny that you call out the Burny RSA. Back when I was investigating 335s last year I instinctively turned to the MIJ stuff because I’ve had such awesome experiences with the Les Pauls and Teles. I ran into the same issue with the lower numbered RSAs where it was less than transparent where they were actually manufactured.

What’s your take on that RSA?

My first trip to Tokyo, I got to go to the Ochanomizu district. Basically every building on both sides of the street for two city blocks is a multi-floor music store, and most of those are guitar stores. Inventory literally spilling out onto the sidewalks. I saw everything from cheapies to amazing vintage pieces and anything in between. I was so overwhelmed, I couldn't trust myself to make a rational decision. All I bought that trip was a Boss pedal, lol.

gjgy76Fh.jpg

EYVkVpHh.jpg

uj9empdh.jpg

LGBSDaNh.jpg

4vgSmy1h.jpg

at5HoI9h.jpg

kBDxhBMh.jpg

2HRhfM4h.jpg

ImxX6dBh.jpg

On my second trip I was a little more prepared, knew what to expect, and had a strategy in mind to prevent being shell shocked again. I had the clear cut mission of buying a Japanese Tele; didn't matter what manufacturer, it just had to be a T shaped guitar and made in Japan. The third shop I entered, I was fortunate enough to get a salesman who spoke perfect English. He helped me to three Teles, a Tokai and 2 Fenders. The Tokai and the first Fender had necks that were on the smaller size, but the third one was a good fit, so I went ahead with the purchase. My dude proceeded to wipe the guitar down like it was gonna be in a photo shoot, went over all of my documentation since it was in Japanese, and talked to me about the customs process and documentation. When we were finished, he walked me out the front door, bowed, and presented the guitar like a samurai sword. It was by far the coolest buying experience I've ever had! It's a Traditional 60's Telecaster...

EDEdn4Kh.jpg

0vOiUQah.jpg

My first trip to Tokyo, I got to go to the Ochanomizu district. Basically every building on both sides of the street for two city blocks is a multi-floor music store, and most of those are guitar stores. Inventory literally spilling out onto the sidewalks. I saw everything from cheapies to amazing vintage pieces and anything in between. I was so overwhelmed, I couldn't trust myself to make a rational decision. All I bought that trip was a Boss pedal, lol.

gjgy76Fh.jpg

EYVkVpHh.jpg

uj9empdh.jpg

LGBSDaNh.jpg

4vgSmy1h.jpg

at5HoI9h.jpg

kBDxhBMh.jpg

2HRhfM4h.jpg

ImxX6dBh.jpg

On my second trip I was a little more prepared, knew what to expect, and had a strategy in mind to prevent being shell shocked again. I had the clear cut mission of buying a Japanese Tele; didn't matter what manufacturer, it just had to be a T shaped guitar and made in Japan. The third shop I entered, I was fortunate enough to get a salesman who spoke perfect English. He helped me to three Teles, a Tokai and 2 Fenders. The Tokai and the first Fender had necks that were on the smaller size, but the third one was a good fit, so I went ahead with the purchase. My dude proceeded to wipe the guitar down like it was gonna be in a photo shoot, went over all of my documentation since it was in Japanese, and talked to me about the customs process and documentation. When we were finished, he walked me out the front door, bowed, and presented the guitar like a samurai sword. It was by far the coolest buying experience I've ever had! It's a Traditional 60's Telecaster...

EDEdn4Kh.jpg

0vOiUQah.jpg
Literally drooling over all those Tokais on the wall in those photos.

The double binding on your traditional tele is killer. I’ve also found many of the Japanese 60s necks to be thin. What worked for you about the one you bought?

gjgy76Fh.jpg

EYVkVpHh.jpg

uj9empdh.jpg

LGBSDaNh.jpg

4vgSmy1h.jpg

at5HoI9h.jpg

kBDxhBMh.jpg

2HRhfM4h.jpg

ImxX6dBh.jpg

EDEdn4Kh.jpg

0vOiUQah.jpg

God I love that tele

Literally drooling over all those Tokais on the wall in those photos.

The double binding on your traditional tele is killer. I’ve also found many of the Japanese 60s necks to be thin. What worked for you about the one you bought?
Thanks man, I definitely prefer fatty 50s style necks! This Traditional 60s is still thinner than most of my other guitars but the shoulders are a little more full than the other ones I tried, like maybe more of a D than a C shape. So even though it's smaller than what I'd consider "normal", it still works for me.

Thanks man, I definitely prefer fatty 50s style necks! This Traditional 60s is still thinner than most of my other guitars but the shoulders are a little more full than the other ones I tried, like maybe more of a D than a C shape. So even though it's smaller than what I'd consider "normal", it still works for me.
I’ll have to keep an eye out for one of these. I’m in the same boat as you where I dig the 50s necks but the 60s bodies. The only thing I would change about my 2 Japanese teles is that they could have a little more meat on the neck profile. Obviously a contentious topic though.

Were finished, he walked me out the front door, bowed, and presented the guitar like a samurai sword. It was by far the coolest buying experience I've ever had! It's a Traditional 60's Telecaster...

0vOiUQah.jpg

I'm never buying another guitar from a store again unless the sales guy bows and presents the guitar like a samurai sword. That's the new bench line.

I'm also not buying a katana unless the sales guy plays air guitar on it first without hurting himself.

Great looking tele BTW. What colour is that? Daphne blue?

gjgy76Fh.jpg

EYVkVpHh.jpg

uj9empdh.jpg

LGBSDaNh.jpg

4vgSmy1h.jpg

at5HoI9h.jpg

kBDxhBMh.jpg

2HRhfM4h.jpg

ImxX6dBh.jpg

EDEdn4Kh.jpg

0vOiUQah.jpg

It's like the Red Light district for guitarists. I'm immediately thinking of all the guitar stores I've visited in the United States where the staff is sitting around chatting while guitars on the wall are unplayable.

Back