The horrible 80s/90s gear thread

s-l500.jpg

I had one of these, and thought that it was THE s**t. Was so excited, I had to take it to my buddy's shop (same shop I now do web/photography for), and he just s**t all over it, in the most polite way possible. :D

What the hell is that logo? Is there a pole stuck in that cat butt? Or something spraying out?

The funny thing about the early 90's is that when I saw adds for the ART SGX stuff, I thought to myself "well, I guess as a guitar player I need every effect known to man". It was just something you had. So I thought.

Awesome, a thread up my alley!

My first amp:

000000113047505-00-720x720.jpg

My second amp, not an upgrade:

etvbyaulilvkkgqxvurm.jpg

Here's my third amp, which weighted about 100 pounds and had about five amps worth of scratchy pots:

vqefplctoxentfvsw9i6.jpg

Finally my fourth amp (I'm awful at amps):

bzsamtn4setzy9oxy5yp.jpg

My first pedal, which broke extremely quickly:

eg27q1zadpgkffuen3y5.webp

My first modeler, which was a blast and probably would sound horrible today:

lcqpdnri6ssnutngs6gd.jpg

My first amp:

etvbyaulilvkkgqxvurm.jpg

Here's my third amp, which weighted about 100 pounds and had about five amps worth of scratchy pots:

vqefplctoxentfvsw9i6.jpg

bzsamtn4setzy9oxy5yp.jpg

lcqpdnri6ssnutngs6gd.jpg
Jesus terrible streak! :rofl

My first amp:

etvbyaulilvkkgqxvurm.jpg

vqefplctoxentfvsw9i6.jpg

bzsamtn4setzy9oxy5yp.jpg

lcqpdnri6ssnutngs6gd.jpg

So now I have to know: What was your 5th amp?

Jesus terrible streak! :rofl

Honestly I'm trying to remember if I ever had a good amp...

Kramer KA22R practice amp
Gorilla GG-25 practice amp
Peavey Special 150
Marshall VS100R 100w head with matching 4x12 (actually not that bad)
Crate Vintage Club 30 (also not bad)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (bleh)

Then I sold my stuff and quit for a few years, and picked right back up with crappy amps...

Vox Valvetronix 15VT
Fender Champion 600
Fender Mustang I
Yamaha THR10 (not bad for a practice amp)

I tried a few tube amps again...

Fender Bassbreaker 15 (sounded awesome but had a bad effects loop and was too loud)
Fender Bassbreaker 07 (nowhere near as good)
Marshall DSL40 (way too loud, sounded horrible, and had bad tubes so I dumped it ASAP)

Now I've got:

Yamaha THR10X which isn't bad for a battery amp
Line 6 Catalyst 60

So probably pretty obvious why I've been mostly modeler for most of my life.

First amp: Peavey Backstage Plus.

peavey-backstage-plus-2844704.jpg

At some point a friend told me the Boss ME-5 would make me sound like George Lynch, so of course I bought it. And of course it didn't make me sound like George Lynch. George Lynch himself would get aggravated at trying to get a good tone out of it.

boss-me-5-2489182.jpg

Then I finally got a stack. A stack of crap. A Fender M-80.

6f1fb2420ad9614ac6eaab2d20ecfe66--rigs-guitars.jpg

My first good amp was the first run of the 5150.

s-l500.jpg

I had one of these, and thought that it was THE s**t. Was so excited, I had to take it to my buddy's shop (same shop I now do web/photography for), and he just s**t all over it, in the most polite way possible. :D

I always loved the little icons on this series. Never did buy any of them tho lol

View attachment 2110

At some point a friend told me the Boss ME-5 would make me sound like George Lynch, so of course I bought it. And of course it didn't make me sound like George Lynch. George Lynch himself would get aggravated at trying to get a good tone out of it.

View attachment 2111

View attachment 2112

I wish I could remember what my very first half stack was. I think it was one of those Crates that the Death Metal crowd loves. GX120L or something? I loved it back then but I bet it sounds like a giant can of bees to me now. I did have one of these M-80 heads back in the day for a spell too. I dabbled with guitar since the late 70's early 80's but was a drummer from about 78 til 1989 or so before I went full bore for guitar.

View attachment 2110

View attachment 2111

View attachment 2112

I had one of those M-80 turdbuckets, in a 1x12 combo. I got a ton of use out of it, quite honestly. But it was only because the clean channel was serviceable, for use with pedals.

I was 16-18 at the time, and thought "well, no one uses the gain channel for that anyway. Everyone uses pedals". I literally had no concept that people DID use the lead channels on amps that didn't suck :LOL:

I had one of those M-80 turdbuckets, in a 1x12 combo. I got a ton of use out of it, quite honestly. But it was only because the clean channel was serviceable, for use with pedals.

I was 16-18 at the time, and thought "well, no one uses the gain channel for that anyway. Everyone uses pedals". I literally had no concept that people DID use the lead channels on amps that didn't suck :LOL:
Those M-80s were like instant Fear Factory by way of early Cannibal Corpse tone. If that was your bag :bag

Back