The Gear Forum Home Pizza Thread

My experiment with a more hydrated Pizza Dough is over. You lose Internet! :LOL:

More hydration = less crunch and more chew. Also harder to work with. A lot harder.
I'll save the higher water to flour ratio for Foccaccia and Detroit-Style Deep Dish.

I do have 2 more balls in the freezer, but once I make those into pies I am going back
down to the 60-65% hydrated doughs. I love that crispy crunch, and where you still get
some chew inside the dough.... and it doesn't stick to every goddamn thing on the face
of this Earth. :hmm

At least it didn't stick to my Peel last night, and then rip, tear, and fold on the Pizza Stone.
And I was semi-drunk. :guiness

Has Vito Iacopellis YT channel been mentioned yet? He's telling you all about pizza made with typical home equipment (most notably the "not hot enough for a real prime time pizza" oven).
One sample video:

I take my homemade pizza serious, lol!! I use to work at the most popular pizza beer restaurant back in college. Started as a cook and eventually became a waiter too, so I am kind of a cheater here, but the owner worked at the original Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta then brought everything he learned back and started his own restaurant.

I have a RecTec Bullseye pellet grill I cook mine with along with homemade dough & sauce. All the neighbors bring their toppings and we have pizza night every few months.
Pizza Dough.jpg
Pizza 1.jpg
Pizza 2.jpg
Pizza 3.jpg
Pizza 4.jpg
Bullseye.jpg
Calzone.jpg

BTW, Those little pizza ovens are a lot more difficult to cook a good pie on. Just due to it's size, I have found that regulating the heat is a lot more difficult.

A pellet grill is perfect since the temperature stays very consistent. On mine, 450 degrees for 12-20 min is what it takes depending on the amount of toppings. A pepperoni only pie will cook in 12-14 min, but a garbage pizza with everything on it will take 18-20 usually.

Also picked up a few cans of San Marzanos to work on different variations of a Pizza Sauce.
As the weather gets shit out, I'll be spending more time in the house and this is some fun
stuff for me to experiment with. :chef
Share the recipe after you dial it in pls 🙏

Share the recipe after you dial it in pls 🙏

It may end up having Fish Sauce in it. The Asian version of Anchovies, I suppose. :LOL:

I've actually done it before and it is a nice touch. I'll see what I can come up with.

Bad results I promise to keep to myself, fret. :beer

It may end up having Fish Sauce in it. The Asian version of Anchovies, I suppose. :LOL:

I've actually done it before and it is a nice touch. I'll see what I can come up with.

Bad results I promise to keep to myself, fret. :beer

Come on… Go out and buy some nice white anchovies

Back