The Fuzz Thread

I have the big muff op amp pi, fuzz factory, jimi fuzz face, and j mascis muff. In general my favorite are the muffs but the fuzz factory is super unique.

Ive tried the EQD Eruptor (wasn't a fan) but their Hoof is amazing. Even better is the Hoof Reaper combo.

I also tried our Fjord Fuzz pedals which were unique both aesthetically and tonally

Fuzz pedals are so much fun 😀

In terms of Muffs, nothing beats the TX Pedals Animalizzer, imo. All the muff options and it has a built-in pre-boost. It can also do high gain RAT type tones with the right settings and goes all the way from thick and chunky wall-of-fuzz to spittery-sputtery goodness.

My other absolute favourite fuzz of all time is the DeadFX I Can’t Feel My Face Super Fuzz. Not the most versatile pedal but absolutely nails the super fuzz sound while offering better tone shaping. This is really a sleeper when it comes to fuzzes, I feel.

The DOD Carcossa is a great modern Si Fuzz Face, too. Love it a lot!

EDIT: forgot to mention the KHDK Unicorn Blood V2. Best looking fuzz by far and it sounds huge AF. Really enjoy it into my Friedman IR-X.

Well, there are various basic types of Fuzz, as well as each being unique. I saw somewhere online a collection of hundreds of fuzz faces.

Off the top of my head…

Fuzz Face: Dunlop Hendrix Mini, 65 Amps Colorface
Octave Fuzz: EHX Octavix, Spaceman Nebula, AmpTweaker TightFuzzPro can go Octave as well
Muff: BAT Pharaoh (well, mine’s a Coven)
Germanium: Spaceman Sputnik III
Germanium/Si: Spaceman Gemini IV
Catalinbread Katzenkonig: RAT with a Tonebender
Tonebender: Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe
Whatever the hell a ZVEZ Fuzz Factory is.
Unsure but like ‘em: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth, Orpheum, Spaceman Titan II

Going through my collection of fuzz boxes...

MXR Octavio Hendrix 70th Anniversary

My first of many octave-fuzz pedals, and one I tend to come back to for convenience's sake.

Fulltone 69 Mk2

My 'fuzz face' of choice. I haven't really tried many other alternatives.

EQD Fuzz Master General

A more aggressive alternative to the Octavio, which I quite like a lot.

Skreddy BC239

My first foray into the 'Big Muff' world. A mainstay on my session work and extremely versatile.

Fulltone Octafuzz

Another alternative to the Octavio.

Devi Ever Shoegazer

Really cool dual fuzz that can cover a lot of ground. I haven't been using it recently, and I'll need to rectify that.

Darkglass Duality

My sole bass fuzz.

Third Man Plasma Coil

Not really a fuzz, but certainly aggressive enough to have the same characteristics. And it looks damn cool.

Wampler Fuzztration

Got it for utility purposes, for the sake of many options in one unit. Sounds great.

EQD Hizumitas

My second 'Muff' variant. Basically, a more is more, instant Armageddon in a box.

I've been really into fuzz for the last two years, mostly self built at this point.

Sun Face clones - BC183 and germanium

Tone benders Mk 1 and II. The mk1 is absolutely brutal. It's a fantastic drive pedal.

Zonk Machine - Weird take on a Mk1 Tone bender that does it's own thing but definitely worth having alongside a Mk1. This pedal was a bitch to tune. You need to get the gains and leakage just right to have any sweep on the gain control.

Thorpy Muffroom Cloud clone. First big muff I've really liked.

I've also been collecting parts for a few special builds, I've even got some custom made enclosures, but haven't had a lot of time for building recently. When I finally get them started I'll put threads in the DIY section.

A JHF1 fuzz face (easily my favourite silicon FF, the clean up is incredible)
A Nkt275 Sun Face clone
A Tone Bender MkII with OC81Ds.

I'm no collector but I do like a good Fuzz Face. I have an older Dunlop red Ge and a MXR BC108 Si.
Also have the BAE Hot Fuzz, which is a Tonebender and separate Rangemaster circuit. Versatile and great sounding pedal.
While I don't use it often, the BitQuest has a digital Fuzz circuit that's pretty badass especially when used with the filter effect.

I kinda consider my BK tube drivers to be refined fuzzes. I have 2 of the big box and 1 of the old tube works 3 knob version. Pro Co RAT would be another.

I still need an octave fuzz, can't believe I don't have one yet.

Never tried the helix ..or any model in it ....but I have a fuzz face model and Octavia model in my modeler, and was surprised that they were actually pretty decent... especially if you put a light oD....or a boost before the modeler.

But I am sure everyone here knows that already....

I prefer my gain structure to be analog, just because my ears like that better....that's why I run all my dirts and fuzzes into the front of the modeler. Which I am sure has been said before.

I just love the octava, it has the fuZ..octave....blend....and a pre ...with a sweet low cut filter...makes it so perfect to tweak ...also....you can turn the fuzz off ..and get all that, or not, without the fuzz....so useful especially for the $120 I paid for it.

I prefer my gain structure to be analog, just because my ears like that better....that's why I run all my dirts and fuzzes into the front of the modeler. Which I am sure has been said before.

I just love the octava, it has the fuZ..octave....blend....and a pre ...with a sweet low cut filter...makes it so perfect to tweak ...also....you can turn the fuzz off ..and get all that, or not, without the fuzz....so useful especially for the $120 I paid for it.
Ultimately I prefer it that way too, I often run my dirt pedals into the helix. There's just a bit more punch and presence that way. The modeled drives sound great too, not knocking them at all and I do use them as well.

The Octava sounds interesting.
I've been eyeballing the Fulltone Octafuzz for a long time which seems like a good one too.

Ultimately I prefer it that way too, I often run my dirt pedals into the helix. There's just a bit more punch and presence that way. The modeled drives sound great too, not knocking them at all and I do use them as well.

The Octava sounds interesting.
I've been eyeballing the Fulltone Octafuzz for a long time which seems like a good one too.
I do use some modeled drives occasionally, but usually just to drive an amp model on the split (r) side, and usually with little to no gain on it.

I have heard good things about that....but I'm now at the point that I am just going to build any future fuzz I need .... especially the ones I want to try ..it's just cheaper, and more fun to build them ..and fuzz is pretty, or can be, straight forward schematic wise ..as I am sure you know already.

..and fuzz is pretty, or can be, straight forward schematic wise ..as I am sure you know already.
Yeah, but I've been trying to avoid that haha. I don't need to go down another rabbit hole with building pedals! Not that it wouldn't be fun and easy to do a fuzz, I just know I wouldn't stop at one :LOL:. I need to limit my wiring projects these days and just play more.

Yeah, but I've been trying to avoid that haha. I don't need to go down another rabbit hole with building pedals! Not that it wouldn't be fun and easy to do a fuzz, I just know I wouldn't stop at one :LOL:. I need to limit my wiring projects these days and just play more.
Yep ...I go through the same cycle.....

Enjoy it!

Fuzz is weird because it’s an effect I want to love but have traditionally had a hard time meshing with.

I have an Op Amp BM, which is Siamese Dream in a pedal. Awesome pedal, but you really have to be going for that thing.

I’d really like to try the Beetronics Vezzpa for that gated Velcro thing. (Knowing I’ll either insta love or hate) Also need to try the DOD Carcosa.

Fuzz is weird because it’s an effect I want to love but have traditionally had a hard time meshing with.

I have an Op Amp BM, which is Siamese Dream in a pedal. Awesome pedal, but you really have to be going for that thing.

I’d really like to try the Beetronics Vezzpa for that gated Velcro thing. (Knowing I’ll either insta love or hate) Also need to try the DOD Carcosa.

Fuzz Face into the crunch channel of your JVM is spectacular. Also putting a klone in between your fuzz face and the jvm crunch channel is :chef

Not gonna lie, I've got about 100 fuzz boxes. :facepalm

Partial to Fuzz Face and Tonebender circuits, but always trying different Muffs thinking one day I'll find one that works for me. Still waiting, lol.

BDXfWukl.jpg

51qqTVgl.jpg

PUbrgNyl.jpg

Back