The Annual NAMM predictions rumours thread 2024

Helix 2 is almost certainly guaranteed. Maybe they'll call it "Double Helix".

I've always thought in the back of my mind that the next gen Helix will be called " Helix DNA " :)

Ben " ... marketing expertise ranked on a scale of 1 to 1000 is at 0 ..." Ifin

My fantasy NAMM.
UA introduces a small ‘board’ that holds 4 pedals. It is designed with their amp boxes in mind but could be used with a mix of types.. It has IO for stereo in/ out, XLR’, headphones and provides USB audio interface capability and midi. has a nominal set of stomp switches for presets and a small led screen. Has no WiFi or Bluetooth.
And is designed to provide power for all that while keeping the size very lightweight and compact.

Last edited:
Helix 2 is almost certainly guaranteed. Maybe they'll call it "Double Helix".

But on a touch more serious note .... D.I and the crew from L6 have repeatedly been hard-time slamming down any requests or wishes or rumours of a Helix 2 - pretty much saying its not even on the far horizon yet .... !?!?!?! so it would be kind of a big turn-around (?)

Plus I know for a fact from my direct personal sources that the Axe 4 is being announced on Jan 15 this year ;)

There .. you heard it first from me !!

Ben

They'll have a DJ there.

:oops:

:rollsafe
Turn Up Love GIF by Empire FOX

… or guests

But on a touch more serious note .... D.I and the crew from L6 have repeatedly been hard-time slamming down any requests or wishes or rumours of a Helix 2 - pretty much saying its not even on the far horizon yet .... !?!?!?! so it would be kind of a big turn-around (?)

Plus I know for a fact from my direct personal sources that the Axe 4 is being announced on Jan 15 this year ;)

There .. you heard it first from me !!

Ben
giphy.gif

This doesn't have anything to do with digital but since this is a NAMM thread, I suppose it can go here instead.

I want to see some amps or amp in a box that are completely analog and not even trying to sound like tube amps but try and do their own thing and really push guitar forward into the future. Enough Plexi/V30/Klon worship. Let's see what else humankind can dream up for subsequent generations.

Also I'm DYING for a new Yamaha multi-pad. I have their old DTX multi- 2 and it's fantastic but It's design is ancient and so are the sounds. The current Yamaha e-kits have sounds that rival VSTs in my opinion so I hope something like that will make it into a new multi-pad so I can use it as a mini kit live like I do with the M12.

I want to see some amps or amp in a box that are completely analog and not even trying to sound like tube amps but try and do their own thing and really push guitar forward into the future. Enough Plexi/V30/Klon worship. Let's see what else humankind can dream up for subsequent generations.
I'd like that too. Except those companies are likely to go under pretty quickly because people only want things based on the tried and true classics.

My money is on BAD expanding the Friedman IR-X line with some other amp brands.

When they did the mini amps friedman was the first brand to test the waters, then they did the bogner ecstasy, vh-micro and slo mini.

My money is on the next IR-X pedal being from another BAD brand

I'm hoping:

Headrush will release an MX5 replacement with XLR outs and the new Prime/Core-type firmware

Tonex will release a full pedalboard with more foot switches and built-in effects

Kemper will recall the Player and just pretend that never it happened

There .. you heard it first from me !!.

Ben
There will be a successor to the Helix this year. I can virtually guarantee it.

Line 6 has always used Analog Devices SHARC processors. The SC594 is *finally* in production. This is a 1GHz dual-SHARC plus ARM A5 SoC. It's a logical evolution of their product line. One of these chips will have roughly twice the power of a Helix.

Therefore they will be able to offer a considerably more powerful product which will actually cost less to manufacture than a Helix.

Line 6 has always used Analog Devices SHARC processors. The SC594 is *finally* in production. This is a 1GHz dual-SHARC plus ARM A5 SoC. It's a logical evolution of their product line. One of these chips will have roughly twice the power of a Helix.

Therefore they will be able to offer a considerably more powerful product which will actually cost less to manufacture than a Helix.
oooo I love a good prediction!!

So throwback to the Pod HD500 and Pod HD500X days?? Same product, but more power under the hood to add more things into a preset?? That'd be my initial guess. Probably the cheapest and fastest thing to turn around too?

Or maybe add a "high quality amps" preference, to increase the internal oversampling value? Who knows!

So throwback to the Pod HD500 and Pod HD500X days?? Same product, but more power under the hood to add more things into a preset?? That'd be my initial guess. Probably the cheapest and fastest thing to turn around too?

Or maybe add a "high quality amps" preference, to increase the internal oversampling value? Who knows!

Wow I'd be all over an HX Stomp 2 with dual paths and 16+ blocks with more DSP with the same form factor + 2 XLR outs.

I doubt it will be the same product. It's been, what, 8 years?

This will be a flagship product with all the punch-list features that marketing requests. I predict a touch screen, wireless, maybe an SD card slot, etc.

I doubt it will be the same product. It's been, what, 8 years?

This will be a flagship product with all the punch-list features that marketing requests. I predict a touch screen, wireless, maybe an SD card slot, etc.
It will be interesting, I suspect that many other companies currently using the SHARC
will switch to the new chips
NDSP being another that would likely use one .

So you say one chip is powerful enough to run the current Helix and beyond , if they use 2 of the new SHARC
How would that compare to the 2 TI chips in the Axe 3

Is there still advantages to the TI processors regarding sound etc

I love the fact we can conspire and scheme with two of the top modelling manufacturers on here! haha! Amazing! Top marks @DrewJD82 and the other admin!

I know this is cheesy/cliched, but all we did was set the place up. Igloo and Cliff don’t come here and just talk to us mods/owners, it’s certainly not us feeding Cliff amp specs that make their way into a Fractal, Igloo didn’t make a “TGF Mod Helix Update” thread for 3.7, that’s all you guys.

If anything, we have many thanks to give to our members for barely making us work and for upholding a community where we can have this kind of interaction with the people that make our dream gear. So top marks to you all!

Back