That was a lot of work for crap

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I got bored and swapped out my horizontal 2x12 of V30's for an ET-65 and a G12T75 and I don't know if it's that I am just used to the V30's, but these other 2 seem like a really bad combo together. I may stick a V30 back in there with the G12T75 because I do know I did not like the ET65/V30 combination cos I already tried that. The ET65 sounds so good by itself I want to mix it with something in my 2x12 but pretty much all of my other speakers are either 8 or 4ohm and this needs to be a 8ohm cab. The cab has some passive electronics (switching system for stereo/mono) in it so I can't just wire things in series.

Now I will admit that I did not re-eq my patches yet, so I may try that before I go through the work of swapping in another speaker.

You're not wrong. ET65 and G12T75 make a horrible mix. I know I've tried that exact combo. Couldn't get it to sound right with any of my amps or cabs. I actually tried it again this past weekend while figuring out which speakers I wanted to put in my 212. Didn't like it before and still don't like it now. Something about those two speakers' voicings fight each other.

The T75 mixes well with a V30. The T75 will handle the lows and highs while the V30 will fill in the midrange bite.
The ET65 will mix better with a Retro 30 than a V30. Retro 30 is a little more lower mid voiced than the V30. The big downside with WGS speakers is once you start pushing them into high/band volume they start to fall apart sonically. They are wonderful for bedroom to moderate volumes though.

If you're up to trying something a little off the beaten path give the Weber Gray Wolf and/or Silver Wolf a shot. The descriptions on their website are pretty spot on. The Gray Wolf is a great cross between a V30 & CL80. The Silver Wolf is more greenback-ish, but with a tad more emphasis on the lower mids. Both are really great on their own, but together they produce a full, massive tone. They're my go to speakers now.
I have no affiliation with Weber other than being a satisfied customer. Messaging CJ about the Gray Wolfs I bought though, he liked what I said about them and quoted me in their description.

You're not wrong. ET65 and G12T75 make a horrible mix. I know I've tried that exact combo. Couldn't get it to sound right with any of my amps or cabs. I actually tried it again this past weekend while figuring out which speakers I wanted to put in my 212. Didn't like it before and still don't like it now. Something about those two speakers' voicings fight each other.

The T75 mixes well with a V30. The T75 will handle the lows and highs while the V30 will fill in the midrange bite.
The ET65 will mix better with a Retro 30 than a V30. Retro 30 is a little more lower mid voiced than the V30. The big downside with WGS speakers is once you start pushing them into high/band volume they start to fall apart sonically. They are wonderful for bedroom to moderate volumes though.

If you're up to trying something a little off the beaten path give the Weber Gray Wolf and/or Silver Wolf a shot. The descriptions on their website are pretty spot on. The Gray Wolf is a great cross between a V30 & CL80. The Silver Wolf is more greenback-ish, but with a tad more emphasis on the lower mids. Both are really great on their own, but together they produce a full, massive tone. They're my go to speakers now.
I have no affiliation with Weber other than being a satisfied customer. Messaging CJ about the Gray Wolfs I bought though, he liked what I said about them and quoted me in their description.

I just may check it out. I have a couple Weber Blue Dogs that have been sitting in the shed waiting. My favorite Celestions are in this order

G12k-85
V30
CL80

So those Weber speakers sound very tempting.

I went swapping all kinds of speakers for a while. It was fun and I learned a lot, but it is a lot of dicking around and I got sick of it. Decided I love V30s and have stuck with them for a long time now.

Now I don't buy a cab if I don't like the speakers, can't be bothered.

I went swapping all kinds of speakers for a while. It was fun and I learned a lot, but it is a lot of dicking around and I got sick of it. Decided I love V30s and have stuck with them for a long time now.

I've got an empty Recto slant that needs speakers. I've had it for WAYYYYYYY too long and it kinda pisses me off the more I think about it :hmm

To me the G12T-75 doesn't sound good unless it's in a 4x12 and paired with a midrange forward amp. Marshall at minimum, Mesa Mark a potential candidate but I've never tried that.

I liked the V30 + G12H-100 combo I had in a 2x12 cab ages ago. The G12H-100 is more bass/treble with a flat-ish midrange so it complements the V30 nicely. The G12H-100 should be fairly cheap used since it's not a popular speaker.

I use V30s in my old Twin Reverb. Works out great. (y)

For me the speaker is as critical as the gain in your amplifier.
I can mess with her topless but not her topology.
It is what the speaker fizzes..
I learned also to stick with a cabinet company that works for you and don’t changed that AND your preferred speaker.
While I dig the complexities & bad ass nature of a V30,…-they need to be hot & bothered with driving volume for the super-killers.

BEFORE the player??
THE ROOM.
With the right room and flooring,
-I can get just about anything to sound good.
It’s how the cabinet resonates off the floor 1st.
RIGHT THERE,
-you can hear the super-killers lurking..MORE!,
the ‘more’ volume will translocate those
super killers with the ceilings while rumbling’
your nutz..

Speaking of nutz..,
What has 3 balls and comes from outer space?

-E.T. the extra testicle.

Cheers for YEARS & F’N YEARS dudes⚡

Back