Marshall JMD-1 inbound

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Really enjoyed the one I tried in the local GC a little while ago but they were asking 800 bucks for it at the time w/o the proprietary footswitch. Been on a passive hunt for one with the footswitch and had to jump on it. 400 bucks +taxes and shipping total was 465. The one I played through had V30's in it and I have a pair just sitting in boxes waiting for an amp if this one doesn't tickle my fancy immediately. Having owned and used a 2203 JCM800 and a 1987x, this amp brought me back in full force. It's crazy how dead on it is.

These are legit good amps and hopefully this one makes it to me intact. GC had it listed a s a 50w head but this is the 100w 2x12 combo.

1694961251877.png

Last edited:
Nice, congrats. :banana

Thanks. I'm pretty psyched. These amps did have some issues on first run but what gives me hope as far as reliability is that the issues popped up within the first couple years, and these amps are well over 10 years old. The chances that this one has problems are very low becuae it either did already and was repaired, or was not part of the early runs that had issues.

This post here is what sold me. This person is a well respected "Marshall guy" who is also very technically knowledgeable with amps

1694967253783.png

All that said none of it matters if the thing doesn't make it to me safely. The last 2 amps I bought from GC online were destroyed in shipping.

Thanks. I'm pretty psyched. These amps did have some issues on first run but what gives me hope as far as reliability is that the issues popped up within the first couple years, and these amps are well over 10 years old. The chances that this one has problems are very low becuae it either did already and was repaired, or was not part of the early runs that had issues.

This post here is what sold me. This person is a well respected "Marshall guy" who is also very technically knowledgeable with amps

View attachment 10944

All that said none of it matters if the thing doesn't make it to me safely. The last 2 amps I bought from GC online were destroyed in shipping.
i hope you like it. I never played those models but in general i do like Marshall tone. Post some clips one you have it :)

Last edited:
I’ve had a JMD:100 head for around ten or so years, I really should dust it off and fire it up one of these days. Marshall really hit a home run with these amps, then proceeded to shit the bed with the Code series.

I fear that the dial on the far left tells me all I need to know about this amp :unsure: Maybe I am wrong :unsure:

Last edited:
Well, what else would you expect? It’s an early generation digital/tube hybrid amp.
Certainly. It's the end results associated with an amp that does that. Though I wouldn't throw a Peavey Vypyr tube wtfever out of my jam room if I got for uber cheap :rofl

Certainly. It's the end results associated with an amp that does that. Though I wouldn't throw a Peavey Vypyr tube wtfever out of my jam room if I got for uber cheap :rofl

These are a far cry from Peavey Vypers and Line6 Spyders. The amp modeling in the JMD series was done by Softube, and it sounds really really really good.

These are a far cry from Peavey Vypers and Line6 Spyders. The amp modeling in the JMD series was done by Softube, and it sounds really really really good.
The Vypyrs have good word of mouth all things considered? Bob is a fan of the Spider Valves as well.

I have 3 Tube Vypyrs and 3 Spider Valves but I only use the SV's as tube power amps. I hate the modeling in them other than the Twang setting.
How do you like the Vypyrs? Always wanted one but couldn't ever bring myself to buy one.

Yeah from what I am reading even the objective die hard Marshall tube fanatics give big respect to these JMD amps. The tube layout is similar to Spider Valves and Vypyrs in that they are tube powered with a 12ax7 PI but it pretty much ends there from what I gather.

How do you like the Vypyrs? Always wanted one but couldn't ever bring myself to buy one.

I really like the tones but gigging them is difficult for what I do. Even with the Sanperra II controller. There's literally no difference between the Vypyr 6505 and a true 6505.

Back