TGF Do Something Challenge Week 5

OK back on the horse again. Here’s something a little different for me. Playing in drop C on a PRS P24 with tens. Virtual capo pitched down two half steps.

Amplifiers are all Axe3 on 21.04; mostly Orange, some Carol Ann OD2 and a little bit of FAS Lead 1.

Bass is a NI Ric w some synthesis bits to fill out

Drums are Logic

Love this stuff. Thanks for the playgroup!

Pulled SoundCloud Link - here’s a direct dl

Still sounds off a bit still (smearing details) - gotta figure this out.
Sounds good. All the drums drag n drop?

Thanks guys!

Drums are all Logic Drummer - with some careful edits/listening/variations. Not really much editing - truly.

Really impressed! Cymbals stink - but very pleased w/ the patterns. :rimshot

Oh, there is a little sub bass fx to pop the kick a bit.

Been at the desk all day. Some days the music beats you. Todays that day. I’m calling this one. Not my best work but I have to move on. 6 songs to go still.

Guitars are my Doug rappoport Knaggs Kenai and both the Soldano SLO 100 and Friedman BE100. Wall of sound plugin. I think the lead was fractal.

Vocals were the Townsend mic, with the exception of my vocal was the Townsend as well as the Warm WA47. Wanted to compare the model to the clone. Spoiler alert: don’t buy the clone if you own the Townsend or UA mic. It’s similar enough to call it redundant. I do like having it and it is a little different but not 1k bucks different. Great mic though if you want a tube mic centerpiece for your home setup.

Not too thrilled with this mix. Guitars are too heavy. Vocals not sitting right. Drums sound good I guess but it could be better overall. I really should stop using the originals as reference. The original drums sounded like ass and the guitar sounds were nothing to write home about. There is also no making us sound vocally like this song so it’s doomed from the get go.

Man, I just relistened to your clip - and that production is superbly crisp.

I'll ping you via PM and see if you'll part with some wisdom.

breaking bad jeans GIF

Originally started the song in GarageBand at 60 bpm (slow and heavy), then moved to Logic and retracked the few main parts at 70 bpm (a little more tempo). But then it got way too poppy, so going back to 60 bpm.

Won't get something done this week, but at least I've been actively working!

Nice work on the submissions everyone!

Here's my entry for week whatever this is... :rofl ... looking for my lost marbles over here, so no bandwidth to know what day it is, much less week.

Guitars 1-4: 1994 Ibanez RG470 w/Duncan Distortions
Guitar 5: Jackson JS22-7 w/Dimarzio Paf 7 (neck pup/clean parts)

Guitar Rig 1 & 3: Helix Preset - SD1>Sol Lead>Mesa OS cab
Guitar Rig 2 & 4: Helix Preset - SD1>DZL Lead> Mesa OS cab
Guitar Rig 3: Helix preset - Fender Twin>Fender Twin Cab>Hot Springs Reverb>Tape Delay>Courtesan Flanger
(3 variations of Rig 3 using GarageBand sims for atmospheric FX)

Bass: Solar A2.4 into Mesa Helix preset

Drums: Beta Monkey loops

Voice: If you can't tell, you're seriously missing out on life.

Excellent job everyone! :chef:chef:chef

I'm not getting in on the action as my week has been a literal hellscape.

Bummer. Feel ya. :brick

I am tapping out for a bit. Just not the hours right now to commit
to doing anything remotely decent, and the pressure of needing to get
something in is just more shit on the plate already piled high with shit. :LOL:

It was fun for a month or so, but I have quickly realized there were legit reasons
I wasn't doing it in the first place. Music is my fun/chill space in a world of
"We want to fuck you in the ass Buddy!" I want/need to keep it that way. :beer

Ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this… Maybe better in recordings? Dunno.

After listening to the mix for a day - I made some small tweaks in 15 mins to take a little bit of bass out, and pop the mid range a little bit - and thx to Drew and Gearzilla, learn to use the SoundCloud better. 😅

Also increased the average LUFS from -14 to -8. Mo’ betta!

Last edited:
Bummer. Feel ya. :brick

I am tapping out for a bit. Just not the hours right now to commit
to doing anything remotely decent, and the pressure of needing to get
something in is just more s**t on the plate already piled high with s**t. :LOL:

It was fun for a month or so, but I have quickly realized there were legit reasons
I wasn't doing it in the first place. Music is my fun/chill space in a world of
"We want to f**k you in the ass Buddy!" I want/need to keep it that way. :beer
Mojo sent on your end! I started off the week with jury duty and covid :oops:

I'll get back on the horse hopefully next week

Ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this… Maybe better in recordings? Dunno.

After listening to the mix for a day - I made some small tweaks in 15 mins to take a little bit of bass out, and pop the mid range a little bit - and thx to Drew and Gearzilla, learn to use the SoundCloud better. 😅

Also increased the average LUFS from -14 to -6. Mo’ betta!

Sweet playing, sweet tones, sweet mix. :stirthepot

I know I'm not getting anything more than that No More Tears vid done this week. I have all the new parts written for the song I'm working on, but I'm having a bitch of a time dialing in a tone(s) for this song. My sinuses have been jacked up all week and my ears are just hearing absurd amounts of bass and really high top end, oddly enough. Presets I haven't tweaked in months sound horrible right now. I just tracked 5 different amps in various configurations, all the ones I normally use and some new ones, it all sounds f*cking horrid. :rofl

I can't wait to be done with this. It was barely even a cold, I had a sore throat for 4-5 days and my sinuses weren't even that bad, it's just my ears really. I just wasted so much f*cking time tweaking and tracking, raising and lowering my pickups....my lord, this better pass soon or I'm going to end up one of those guys who says a modeler makes you tweak too much. :ROFLMAO:

Mojo sent on your end! I started off the week with jury duty and covid :oops:

I'll get back on the horse hopefully next week

Holy shit! That's a nasty-ass duo, JT! :(

Did one of those things get you out of the other? :idk

Most of my issues are just the responsibilities of being a single-parent. No Mojo needed, but appreciated.
Hope your Horse is primed when you get back on. :beer

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Holy s**t! That's a nasty-ass duo, JT! :(

Did one of those things get you out of the other? :idk

Most of my issues are just the responsibilities of being a single-parent. No Mojo needed, but appreciated.
Hope your Horse is primed when you get back on. :beer
I went two days through selection, getting worse as it went on. Ended up puking a number of times beyond normal symptoms as well as nodding off after I got selected when I was in the box. NOT a good situation. I am more than happy to do my civic duty but I had to bow out :oops:

Back