Ten billion profiles/captures = one amp

Re: the static capture/profile vs a modeler vs. a dynamic profile

• Yes, that simply makes the capture as good as a top quality amp sim.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No, capturing is superior to even the best amp modeling to date so that would be a Game Changer!

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Yeah tbf I load up a good JCM 800 capture and do I really need to tweak it more?

I will disagree with the mark series. Some of their switches do drastically change the tone (especially the presence shift) and then Friedman's with BE HBE
it does something fore sure

I wonder if everyone has the same definition of tweak? In my case an amp has a #1 tone and my tweaking of it comes down to adjusting for things like ear fatigue, a little bit of messing with BMT depending on what I'm jamming to, etc. Nothing drastic to the point of it being anywhere near what would be considered a different tone.

I found Kemper to be 100% fine for this with profiles.

Yeah tbf I load up a good JCM 800 capture and do I really need to tweak it more?
Possibly. Just because it sounds great in your home studio through your speakers on your DAW, doesnt mean it will sound the same if you wanted to use it live through FOH or even through an amp and cab using a Tonex on your pedalboard.

I wonder if everyone has the same definition of tweak? In my case an amp has a #1 tone and my tweaking of it comes down to adjusting for things like ear fatigue, a little bit of messing with BMT depending on what I'm jamming to, etc. Nothing drastic to the point of it being anywhere near what would be considered a different tone.

I found Kemper to be 100% fine for this with profiles.
For me it's just the BMT. But idk I'd say messing with just even that can drastically change the tone (especially in some amps) and then you have amps that rely on power amp distortion.

The really nice thing about fractal that truly isn't hard to edit, is the speaker impedance curves. But I guess that would get captured in a full amp/cab capture?

Possibly. Just because it sounds great in your home studio through your speakers on your DAW, doesnt mean it will sound the same if you wanted to use it live through FOH or even through an amp and cab using a Tonex on your pedalboard.
True! But could post EQ help with that? I also think the ins and outs matter more to those who have truly played the amp in question. For example, I couldn't tell you at all how the BMT on say a Matchless interact. You could edit that all in post and I wouldn't know lol

If you have an amp with 10 knobs, no other switches, channels etc and you ‘capture’ every permutation of the knob settings you can capture the ‘whole’ amp.
Then you have a control ‘model’ that lets you adjust 10 virtual knobs to dial in the amp sound you like.
and you have some kind of machine learning to interpolate the missing data between the captured states of the amp.

Do you then simply have a top quality amp simulation? Do you have something better?
Tone Stack and correct impedance interaction plus potentiometer resistances and values plus different tube simulations plus correct transformer s simulations is what makes Amp Simulation different than a simple profile, think about it. How would a profile capture all that!

The tech is not there yet.

Tone Stack and correct impedance interaction plus potentiometer resistances and values plus different tube simulations plus correct transformer s simulations is what makes Amp Simulation different than a simple profile, think about it. How would a profile capture all that!

Well I'd argue it can capture all of it in a static instance, no?

But idk I'd say messing with just even that can drastically change the tone.

For example, I couldn't tell you at all how the BMT on say a Matchless interact.

Doesn't matter what the range and/or interaction of the BMT controls are though if your desire with a tweak is just to alter real finer points of the core tone and never to go to far from that. On one amp maybe I just have to nudge one knob a smidge while on another I may need to play a little with two. I'm not looking for drastic so it doesn't matter what the amp's controls can do past that.

Doesn't matter what the range and/or interaction of the BMT controls are though if YOUR desire with a tweak is just to alter real finer points of the core tone and never to go to far from that. On one amp maybe I just have to nudge one knob a smidge while on another I may need to play a little with two. I'm not looking for drastic so it doesn't matter what the amp's controls can do past that.
Sure, but that's the pro with modelers, if I did want to do more than just nudge, you can and ideally it'll interact appropriately

It will capture it fine - you just can't change it afterwards. But if changing all of that dynamically is important to your use cases, you'd simply not want to use capturing. I don't drive a Miata and expect to fit my 412 in it

Sure, but that's the pro with modelers, if I did want to do more than just nudge, you can and ideally it'll interact appropriately

So our definitions of what we expect out of a 'tweak' are different then. :beer

Last edited:
It will capture it fine - you just can't change it afterwards. But if changing all of that dynamically is important to your use cases, you'd simply not want to use capturing. I don't drive a Miata and expect to fit my 412 in it
Soon AI will solve this issue or limitation with captures/profiles.

Is it bad the thread title just made me think, “two girls, one cup”? :rofl

Disgusted Judge Judy GIF

Logic thinking. A profile has no idea what tone stack, amp model etc it is capturing. It is analyzing a stream of waves.

It doesn't need to know in order to reproduce the sound though. If it nulls it nulls, whether there are 50 pedals or none - the sound is the sound. That's both the blessing and the curse of it. You only get what you get, but you definitely get it

Back