Technical question: How is this possible?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Really digging my Blackstar HT-20 head. I think I have become a Blackstar whisperer. Anywho, I decided to try it as a tube power amp for my Helix LT by plugging straight to the return like I do with my Spider Valve and every other amp I have tried it with BUT when I do that there's no output at all. This amp does have a master volume that should control the overall level after I set my level on the LT but no matter what I do I can't get it to make any sound. Thought maybe plugging in the footswitch and changing channels would help but nope...nada. So I hit the fx loop jacks real good with DeOxit and air and made sure to spray some on a patch cable and work it in and out a bunch. Still nothing.

Here's the kicker. It works fine using 4cm! How is that possible?

I mean it's not a big deal but just sticks in my craw a bit. The master volume and presence on my Spider Valve make it so I can get great tones at any volume. I just wanted to see what it sounded like with the Blackstar.

Some kind of pre-/post- setup inside the LT creating an issue?

Nope I have the Blackstar sitting on top of my Spidervalve and if I just move the cable to the SV's return it works as it should. The out is set to line. The Blackstar does have a button for line or instrument on the FX loop but neither button position helps.

Did you try a jumper cable sent to return?
Try some DeoxIT in the return jack and plug a 1/4" a few times.

Try pushing the 1"4 harder, some jacks have TRS with two contacts to disconnect the circuit, you might reached only the first 'click'.

Did you try a jumper cable sent to return?
Try some DeoxIT in the return jack and plug a 1/4" a few times.

Try pushing the 1"4 harder, some jacks have TRS with two contacts to disconnect the circuit, you might reached only the first 'click'.

I did clean it out really good. It's definitely pushed in all the way and I tried stereo and mono dummy plugs on the send but I havent tried a TRS cable to the return yet. may try that next.

No I mean the return jack is TRS, the cable should be standard mono TS, but you've already tried that.

Do you have a channel switching pedal plugged in? Try to unplug it form the amp.

The only sound I can get out of it is a POP when I either hot swap cables in the return or when I change outputs from/to line/instrument. Also when I changed the main volume knob to control XLR only.

No I mean the return jack is TRS, the cable should be standard mono TS, but you've already tried that.

Do you have a channel switching pedal plugged in? Try to unplug it form the amp.

yeah I have tried it with/without the channel footswitch. This is driving me nuts now LOL

Bob, if you have nothing plugged into the input, could it be that the amp is going into standby mode when you're using the FX loop only?

From the manual:

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 12.12.14 PM.png

Last edited:
Nothing sticking out to the naked eye. R26 is missing but the trace terminates right after it.

IMG_20230616_100956091.jpg
IMG_20230616_100844804_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230616_100956091.jpg
    IMG_20230616_100956091.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Back