Tales from.. ..The StrapLab!

What a day! went over every strap, singed off stray threads, made sure they all have holes in the right places, (I normally check them out close before shipping), some needed tail straps, all that. Two duffel bags, plus two large suitcases full, guessing about a hundred and twenty packed. Three guitars, my strap rack, signage, a small tool bag, and a box of t-shirts, some leather Iommi crosses, a couple of tooled tele pickguards, a bunch of beanies and rehearsal space banners, and I'm packed for the show! Tomorrow I will be on the road for a four hour trip to edmonton, in traveling salesman mode :farley

Turned off the Reverb store because there's no way I'm digging through these to find the strap you just bought LOL!

Edmonton Guitar show is on Sunday, if you happen to be in the area, drop by and say hi!

LrGM14R4_o.jpg

One last strap that didn't make the beauty shots.... A bad Hombre in a new surfy turquoise colour! Very nice!
I only made the one but rest assured, there will be more coming probably late October.

pyTQhkmQ_o.jpg

Happy Friday, don't do anything I wouldn't do my brothers.

Phew! what a week it's been. Got all my inventory back sorted, and now the StrapLab can be back in operation after the guitar show madnezzes!

zl0o4tcL_o.jpg

If anyone here was able to attend, I didn't hear of it, but thank you! Overall, I covered my table, gas and travel costs, (had to pay my daughter too!), made a decent days wage, and maybe a good grocery run besides. But the important thing is, I met probably a dozen repeat customers, and made five or six new ones too. And, I ran out of business cards about 3/4 of the way through. I've come to the conclusion people will take a card as a polite way of showing interest, but moving on without buying anything. Hope springs eternal!

So, I backed up a few custom jobs getting ready for the show, here's one on the table now!

UAYTpUqn_o.jpg

Somebody was watching my facebook and saw my recent new "Mid-Evil" series happening. He figured maybe one in an amber/tobacco burst might be cool. I fully agree! So that is now underway.

Also on the side I am taking photos and listing some of the stuff I was making specific for the show, uploaded to the Well-Hung Reverb store.
Up now are Pink python (shell pink)

s0p848HP_o.jpg

A new Military strap I call BattleFront (neither of these, but similar) these are 3-1/2 inches wide, cordura cotton/poly blend
that does not feel like plasticky seatbelt material.

vwBnJOYB_o.jpg

And "Tentacle" - which is the one reaching out to do something impolite to you on the right, below.

49x34tvn_o.jpg

Most exciting for me was the public unveil of the "BeastMaster" guitar strap. I took three prototypes including the one below I made for myself. First two guys who tried them? Sold! Later in the day I even had an offer on the one on my own guitar below which was not for sale. Perhaps twenty people tried the strap/guitar combo below. After about the fifth one, I began to carefully watch the faces of the wearer. So gratifying when they suddenly realized the strap had just a bit of stretch to it, and then to watch how they tested that feature.... quite enjoyable!
It really is something else.

RAxSaiDh_o.jpg

So, I'm deeming it a success and will work in coming weeks to continue developing that line once
I plough through my custom queue -

New in the Well-Hung Reverb store just a bit ago, No Prisoners "Bonded" - definitely has a certain vibe don't it? You may be disappointed to hear with all this this beautiful black leather, rolled edges and luxe padding, well. gettin' strapped with this one is gonna cause far more pleasure than pain! Sorry, not sorry!

reSlZDFP_o.jpg

Much of my day spent assembling the custom Mid-Evil job. Coming out almost exactly how I saw it in my head, which seems to be happening more and more. I think this has to be a function of becoming more comfortable in the craft, and my own capabilities.

32pgHWJ3_o.jpg

This one has a real vibe too. Pretty proud of this design, and after three of them now I am getting a bit more efficient and finding less improvements to make. Strong, flexible, functional and pretty darn badass if I do say so myself! All that texture commands attention, but it still feels also feels hippie and vintagey laid-back.

"Tentacle" sold off very fast - had five watchers very quickly. That's why it's a MUST to follow my Reverb store and pull the trigger quick if you see something.

Still plugging away at custom work, nothing special to show right now... but also taking pics and uploading stuff that's sitting here waiting...
Eye In the Sky E2 Hawkeye, from the BattleFront is now up, this time in brown with the olive. Not much is said, written or done the E2 teams don't know about.

iPcEulm1_o.jpg

And "Grief-Stricken" - A Genocide series in bright reflective silver... though i did tone the brightness down with black antique... it was a little much. Also added a small gothic "coffin" feature to the upper front. Some black leather, a couple of studs and a smallish floral concho with a black stone center.
This one goes nice and long.

6cQ3EUGP_o.jpg

Last night I also ordered in some more booty bands so I can make more "BeastMasters"

Fun day today, first thing I did when I got into my shop? Spilled a container holding maybe 800 rivets all over the floor. :wat
It got a little better after that.

Tonight I plan to list "Tombstone" on Reverb, which is a tweedy body with fancy leather strip and a little bling. I took extra
care to make a "burst" sort of effect on the leather front and back, turned out pretty sweet.

h0LQH6Hd_o.jpg

The black and blue Mid-Evil straps will be going up on Reverb this week too. Saddle was a custom order.

oNsg1PAZ_o.jpg

Broke out a strap nose last night with some abusive guitar-shaking and neck-bending tomfoolery, which is probably not recommended by anyone, for anyone. But, in this case I am in a musical contest/journey on another forum, similar to "Do Something" and the latest challenge is to "Tame the Monster" or try to force feedback into something musical - so playing around with ideas on that. And as a result, here's what happened - big ol' nose leather bust-out!

7sxBDRzU_o.jpg

This is one of the few cheapy hootenanny straps I keep around here for kicks, also to remind me why I started building straps over dozen years ago for myself, and now for many others. I was asked if it was chrome-tanned leather or vegtan, and I suspect chrome. There is a burn test to find out but I don't want to stink up my shop worse than it already is LOL. Doesn't matter much anyway. It's not the type of tannage here in my opinion, but the choice of leather the manufacturer decided was "good enough" for a strap end.

Here is a measurement, I estimated it was 2mm, but it turns out more like 1.75 mm thick.

b8ref9qP_o.jpg

Music shop owners have told me strap manufacturers have steadily gone to thinner and thinner ends because the #1 reason guitar straps get returned to stores is, "It's too hard to get on the button." When a guitar strap gets returned, retailers return it to the strap company for compensation. Strap companies HATE that. Music stores don't mind these thinner ends because selling straps with flimsy ends gives them a fantastic opportunity to bundle in strap locks, which are high margin items, But anyone with any sense should know this absolutely does NOT address the problem, and only gives guitarists a false sense of security.

Here's one of my typical nose ends on a strap I built yesterday, shipped to Californy this morning.

TDu5oyI9_o.jpg

Not the best camera angle, but it's a little under 4.5 for millimeters, or about 3 times as thick. Try as I might, I'd probably bust the neck bolts out of my strat, before this nose would give way. I'm pretty sure I would not pull the button/screw out, because i have Well-Hung Pro-pins installed (a jumbo strap button of my own design). Here's the two nose ends side by side.

As you can see, a SIGNIFICANT difference. The broken nose leather, even doubled-over by the rivets is still not as thick as my strap nose leather - but it is at least one piece of leather.

av9ILHbM_o.jpg

But, in looking even closer at the other end I found another concern I didn't even realize.

k25CZSSo_o.jpg

On the tail end, (and I believe this is fairly common construction in nose or tail). See how the leather is two pieces sandwiched together? Combined, it is a bit thicker than the nose leather, say that 2mm, but that is built up of two thin pieces laminated together.

I also laminate leather in my shop from time-to-time. But there's no way I'd say two 1mm pieces of leather, no matter what kind of glue, how much sewing, or how many rivets is enough. But still, so far it has held my guitars. A broken strap end is no big deal for me. I have all the materials, tools and know-how to repair. Now that I have to swap in new nose leather, I'll change out the tail side leather for better too. once I get to it.

Anyway, all that is just a little food for thought. I never thought to look closely at the strap ends, and I'm in the friggin business LOL!

New in the reverb store today was "SwaggerMan" Mahogany. Custom order, sorry. I build these out of a special 3" wide fashion belt as I can source them. I love this strap so much, I've kept back two of them for my personal collection, a black and saddle brown. When this belt came in, ordered for a special customer in the UK, I so wanted to say.. "Deal's off" I'm keeping it for myself LOL

It really is something special. Patina is so great.

QxtGmBTZ_o.jpg

Mid-Evil Black is now in the Reverb store. An original Well-Hung design. Bold, macho, padded! That's sometimes an issue with "aggressive-looking" straps. They can feel aggressive on the shoulder too.

DuAs2CxL_o.jpg

While on the subject of strap/guitar security, I mentioned how I was using my own strap buttons during the blow out above.
Would be kind of two-faced of me if I wasn't LOL!

This morning out the door towards Jesse in Oregon, went eight pairs of Well-Hung Pro-Pins, jumbo pins of my own design.

GilXIBGa_o.jpg

I was thinking this morning, my "Comfortably-Hung" philosophy of guitarin' is not just about padded comfort in the shoulder of a strap.
It's also about having supreme confidence in the safety/security of your rig.

I can see my my Reverb stats this is J-mans third time back for my Pro-Pins. Happens a LOT actually.
He's a builder and one of several who are fully all-in. Dropped me a feedback even before I shipped!

qkwbGxcg_o.jpg

Here's something else to look at for your weighin' and measurin' pleasure.

NR4dRvfe_o.jpg

Bear in mind, once fellas finally decide to slap that straplock monkey off their backs, they'll find that larger screw left a bit of a hole to fill. Unless you practice a little toothpick & gluthiery, you often can't go back to stock. And, you'll find you probably opened up your strap button hole pretty good to accept the locking mechanisms. This is why Pro-Pins are there to save the day. The screw works fine in replacement, and you'll find the jumbo Pro-Pin button feels perfectly secure on widened-out strap holes too.

All I can say is, once you get under 'em, it's hard to get over 'em! They come in black, nickel & gold.

New in the Reverb store today is Mid-Evil Blue... Don't make blue straps that often,
but it's fun to have a couple in the store for all you blues-men!

rawspuNs_o.jpg

B-1"BattleFront" also did a supersonic low pass, then landed in the store. It's capable of handling any deadly payload you can load onto it.

BWvTmQjJ_o.jpg

And then there's also this: Bandido Turquesa!

4ndKajta_o.jpg

If I was doing it right, I'd include a sexy senorita, a bottle of tequila and fast horse! Alas, if I had any of those, you think I'd give 'em up?

New in the shop a rare Well-Hung B-stock.

For the life of me I could not figure out a way to attach this super shiny metal scale belt to a padded leather base. I ended up simply contact cementing it along the length, and sewing it both ends. How long will it last that way, before needing to be re-glued? Only whomever who picks it up will know for sure. Seems pretty secure, and contact cement has plenty of flex. With care, should last a good long while. Approx. sixty bucks less than I'd charge if I could have figured it out proper! Quite striking and really frickin' gleams.

1Ad44mOT_o.jpg

got this custom "Baby Leo" done yesterday, on the way to 'bama this morning. One of my favourite straps. I hadn't built it for a couple of
years and it's a good thing I kept one back for myself, because I kind of forgot how I first built the first run. I keep a "recipe book" with
measurements and details on how I do certain straps, but this one was not in there. It is now!

EGknE9Ik_o.jpg

Effectively the leopard print vibe divided by genre gives a fella 44% rockabilly / 20% metal / 18% kooky kountry, and the balance is Funky PimpStyle. This sling has a pad that will not slip around and looks super sweet on, and cools-up most any guitar, or guitar player by a un-measureable amount. Started two of them, the second one should show up in the store probably next week.

And this pic came in this afternoon from a guitar forum brother, multiple repeat Well-Hung warrior.

azw1Hpvm_o.jpg

Made "Erik the Red" for the guitar show, a braided leather No Prisoners strap. Dude tried to buy it before I packed. Told him if i didn't sell it at the show, it was his for a nice price. At the show at least four people handled it, almost had it off to one fella, but I think I got a little greedy with the price. I can do that more when people are able to hold and try my stock on, because Well-Hung straps are a fair bit "more" in person than what seems to show up in photos. Anyway, there were no takers, so off it went to Penn state. It all worked out kind of perfect, right? Sittin' there on that Vee, just look how it ties the room together!

Up here in the Frostlands, as we head into Thanksgiving weekend, I'll be giving thanks for my family, my amazing Warrior Tribe/clientele and anyone else interested in my craft. Can't forget my home and community, and the fact there'll be plenty food on the table and cool ones in the fridge.

Last edited:
Topping even the worst of the third world dictators, Great Leader Keith in Penn State proudly parades his arsenal of Well-Hung weapons
as a way to instill fear in the hearts of his enemies (of which there are few, for obvious reasons).

ZSC5kX1G_o.jpg

oph2SNCz_o.jpg

Peace through strength! Happy Canadian Thanksgiving my brothers!

Last edited:
Back