t.c.electronic modeling pedals

Lol, a couple of you are getting a little TheOtherPlaceTM-ish, with the price :LOL:

Tech 21 releases Character pedals, for $249.00, years ago, WITHOUT USB connectivity, and WITHOUT boost or channel switching, (the Amplifire box was more as well), but this one, at $200.00 is just too damn much. :LOL:

Lol, a couple of you are getting a little TheOtherPlaceTM-ish, with the price :LOL:

Tech 21 releases Character pedals, for $249.00, years ago, WITHOUT USB connectivity, and WITHOUT boost or channel switching, (the Amplifire box was more as well), but this one, at $200.00 is just too damn much. :LOL:
I BET THIS HAS AN IR LOADER TOO!

That would depend a lot on what type of bands you go see. Might be also a difference between US and Europe where Fender would be cheaper in the US than Vox and vice versa. Here you mostly see the lighter 1x12 Vox amps out there because nobody wants to move a Vox AC30 2x12 combo around.

That said, to me Fender Blackface, Marshall Superlead and Vox AC30 are the trifecta of the most important amp tones. It's no surprise that they are the most emulated because just those three can cover a lot of ground when paired with some choice overdrives. I get we have a lot of high gain players who might not agree with that, but that doesn't change that you can trace back the lineage of many amps to those three.

Vox is considerably cheaper here in the states too. An AC30 is $1,300 and a Twin Reverb is $2,000. AC15 is $800 vs a $1,600 Deluxe Reverb. New prices. Not sure what the used market looks like.

The tech 21 stuff is analog though. Digital pedals usually have different expectations.

D

I think there are certain pedals we allow ourselves to cheap out on, and others we don’t. We could argue it’s the cost of technology or just a perception thing, but amp models and reverbs seem to be sacred.

+1. I'm waiting for the audio samples but, honestly, $200 is *quite* reasonable if TC Electronics honors their pedigree and make these pedals sound good; UAFX pedal-in-a-box line start at, what, $399?

Also, the split DI out makes... a lot of sense in this format?

Man, I think the only time I’ve ever seen an AC30 onstage was at an STP show. I can’t remember a single time I’ve seen one in the wild, despite seeing them in stores and knowing plenty of people play them. I never even thought of that before.

I must be really cheap because $200 a pop sounds expensive to me for a single model. At that price range, I would just pony up for an Ampli-Firebox ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Or something from Zoom. Not much more. Like I said elsewhere (and maybe here as well), more than about $100-130 will be a hard sell.

Wow, everyone is really bagging on these! I happen to think the Fender model is really good, would apparently be in the minority here. Why so cranky? The UA’s do sound good, but I’m on a tight budget. Headphone out is a win in my book (no computer 😢), and the reverb is delicious!

That's so weird, I've regularly seen AC30s among bands I've shared stages with, and mid size to big acts I've seen live. Basically at every strata, and in different Genres. Off the top of my head, U2, REM, Roger Waters (Snowy White), Elbow, Thrice, Foo Fighters all tour(/d) with AC30s.

But... the glory of a good AC30 is in how it fills a room, a big part of it is the cab and the speakers. I see no joy in getting a little pedal to cop that sound, it's gonna be a one dimensional caricature of the real thing.

Funnily enough, I once owned one of the Joyo AC30 sansamp ripoffs. You know the only place it sounded good and like a cranked ac30? into a clean ac30.

Back