Synergy Owners Thread

I finally caved and ordered a Synergy setup: a SYN-2, along with the Uber and Powerball modules. They should arrive in time for the weekend.
First impressions: The Uber module is almost perfect. It’s thunderous but tight. It has decent on-board EQ options, though I like it just fine in the “standard” configuration. I prefer the Blue channel to the Red channel; Red has far too much gain. Everything starts squealing if the gain knob is set higher than 9 o clock-ish. If the Red channel had a more usable range on the gain control, it would be perfect. At least I feel that way—even if it did have a more usable range, I’d still be cranking that hog for some good old fashion chugs.

The Powerball module is a nice companion piece. The Blue channel can do a decent clean tone if I coil-split and the Red channel is responsive and articulate. I do like the more mid-scooped voice on this one.

I run an OD boost 99% of the time (modeler or physical amp), but I actually preferred the modules without a boost pedal.

First impressions: The Uber module is almost perfect. It’s thunderous but tight. It has decent on-board EQ options, though I like it just fine in the “standard” configuration. I prefer the Blue channel to the Red channel; Red has far too much gain. Everything starts squealing if the gain knob is set higher than 9 o clock-ish. If the Red channel had a more usable range on the gain control, it would be perfect. At least I feel that way—even if it did have a more usable range, I’d still be cranking that hog for some good old fashion chugs.

The Powerball module is a nice companion piece. The Blue channel can do a decent clean tone if I coil-split and the Red channel is responsive and articulate. I do like the more mid-scooped voice on this one.

I run an OD boost 99% of the time (modeler or physical amp), but I actually preferred the modules without a boost pedal.
Have you tried the Cathode select switch on the Uber? This can impact the headroom of the module so can make the gain more useable.
The Powerball module is very versatile and as you mentioned can go from clean to really high gain. I to like the scooped voice on the red channel but will dial the depth up a little of the Fryette powerstation to compensate.

Have you tried the Cathode select switch on the Uber? This can impact the headroom of the module so can make the gain more useable.
The Powerball module is very versatile and as you mentioned can go from clean to really high gain. I to like the scooped voice on the red channel but will dial the depth up a little of the Fryette powerstation to compensate.
Good call. I see that right in the manual 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Re: the power amp, I was using my Fryette LX II, which has (for all intents and purposes) fixed presence and resonance settings. I was pleased with the sound/feel. I'll try the PS100 as well at some point--probably when I get to rewiring these racks.

Good call. I see that right in the manual 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Re: the power amp, I was using my Fryette LX II, which has (for all intents and purposes) fixed presence and resonance settings. I was pleased with the sound/feel. I'll try the PS100 as well at some point--probably when I get to rewiring these racks.
Eh, I thought there were trim pots on the top of the unit to adjust the presence and depth?

Eh, I thought there were trim pots on the top of the unit to adjust the presence and depth?
Yes, but those are entirely inaccessible when the unit is racked. So they are technically adjustable, but it is a massive PITA if the unit is racked, so I consider them “fixed.”

Yes, but those are entirely inaccessible when the unit is racked. So they are technically adjustable, but it is a massive PITA if the unit is racked, so I consider them “fixed.”
Yeah no one buying power amps and running a preamp or modeling "solution" into said power amp would ever need to adjust presence or depth.

:oops: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah no one buying power amps and running a preamp or modeling "solution" into said power amp would ever need to adjust presence or depth.

:oops: :ROFLMAO:
ALL YOUR GUITARS AND PREAMPS SHOULD WORTH WITH THE RIG WITHOUT TOUCHING A KNOB!!!!! PRS TOO DARK??? SELL THAT MOFO BEFORE YOU TOUCH TYE PRESENCE KNOB!!!!!

Fair. I'm not sure why it is not on the face of the unit, or even the back of the unit. Kind of silly, frankly.

I like that it’s not another chugger. There are only so many slot you can fill for the brootz.

I have just about enough credit at MF to get a Synergy module. I already have the Uber, Powerball, and Z Wreck modules. It’s also worth noting I have 5150 and HBE tones covered by amps I own.

What module could be worth adding? OS, 2C, and Fryette are the ones that immediately come to mind when I consider what would add something I don’t currently have covered.

I have just about enough credit at MF to get a Synergy module. I already have the Uber, Powerball, and Z Wreck modules. It’s also worth noting I have 5150 and HBE tones covered by amps I own.

What module could be worth adding? OS, 2C, and Fryette are the ones that immediately come to mind when I consider what would add something I don’t currently have covered.
Fryette UL imo

Don't get the OS. It is really versatile, and you'll want more than one. Get one that basically does one thing and only one thing.

Back