Strymon Cloudburst, it was real after all

Dynamic hall with the vocal effect on it and/or the new shimmer verb will be able to pretty much nail it. I think this pedals point though is that it has those sounds in one small enclosure with really simple controls. The range on the controls and how they programmed them is pretty clever, those who have built these sounds “from scratch” can appreciate that. Will work well for Billy Joe Lunchbucket who just wants to turn it on and fiddle a few knobs.

That’s a more straightforward way of what I was trying to say earlier I think… I was interested in it back when it was a sound nearly nothing did. I overused it with my first axe-fx because it had been one of those sounds I only dreamed of having before and still almost nothing on the market could do it. Now, I think “gross” is the right word for me too.

D
Particle 'verb's makin' a comeback

Particle 'verb's makin' a comeback

I wasn’t referring to particle verb, they made a new shimmer for helix a while back that is really stellar for that kind of thing.

But speaking of particle verb… I threw that in a preset I was messing around with a few weeks ago in stable mode in serial with a 100% wet dynamic hall reverb on a parallel path. Damn that sounded good.

D

I remember when Strymon first got popular and the shimmer cloud type stuff was on records it sounded like the coolest thing but I could not afford it. Then five years later I can afford effects with it and never wanted to use it.

I wasn’t referring to particle verb, they made a new shimmer for helix a while back that is really stellar for that kind of thing.

But speaking of particle verb… I threw that in a preset I was messing around with a few weeks ago in stable mode in serial with a 100% wet dynamic hall reverb on a parallel path. Damn that sounded good.

D
Yeah, was just noting the cyclic nature of some of this stuff.

Yeah, was just noting the cyclic nature of some of this stuff.

I’ve got a zoom ms100bt I’ve been meaning to sell, some really good sounds to be had in that thing especially if you can put it in a parallel mixer. They punch above their weight class in a tiny, convenient package.

D

Didn't Mr. Black code/create a lot of the OG shimmer 'verb thing with his Eterna and Supermoon offerings?

Didn't Mr. Black code/create a lot of the OG shimmer 'verb thing with his Eterna and Supermoon offerings?
Come On Reaction GIF

Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, the edge…

D

Uhmmm.... yeah. I should have clarified, "in compact pedal format."

Last edited:
Yeah shimmer sucks. If you drop it to octave down and turn down the tone knob it starts getting tolerable, but then you realize you are just doing everything in your power to make the shimmer not sound like a shimmer and should just pick a different verb type.

This thread is toxic. Now I am messing with the various "shimmer" Reverbs in the Fractal.

Time to pass the plate!! :LOL:

pass the plate shade GIF
That gorgeousness in FAS delays and verbs is a THING :love You get sucked in and an hour later you're like
season 10 episode 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yeah shimmer sucks. If you drop it to octave down and turn down the tone knob it starts getting tolerable, but then you realize you are just doing everything in your power to make the shimmer not sound like a shimmer and should just pick a different verb type.
Shimmer definitely needs a level control. It works well on the Nightsky, plus you can adjust it to any other pitch if it doesn't do it for you. Octave up with maybe like 30-40% level can add a bit of something on a more pedestrian reverb.

I bought a TC Hall of Fame X4 II late last year, and honestly it's pretty amazing. It cost half the price of this Cloudblurst pedal too, and does a ton more stuff.

As ever.... sounds great... not sure I want it though. I actually don't own any Strymon gear at the moment!

I bought a TC Hall of Fame X4 II late last year, and honestly it's pretty amazing. It cost half the price of this Cloudblurst pedal too, and does a ton more stuff.

As ever.... sounds great... not sure I want it though. I actually don't own any Strymon gear at the moment!
I don't remember if it was the 2 or 1, but HoF was yuck to me. When did they come out with the X4? Better yet, when did they come out with all these pedals I don't recognize, holy crap was their catalog always this big?

Lots of talks of shimmer on this thread, but...

The Cloudburst's ensemble effect sounds distinctly different from shimmer... Traditional shimmer's just some sort of pitch shifting followed by a lot of shmearing. Ensemble clearly sounds like it's a generated synthy-stringy thing rather than having the characteristic shiiiiiii(mer) pitched-up sound of shimmer.

I get that it belongs in the same musical camp maybe, but y'all be talking like it's the same thing, it ain't! :hmm

Lots of talks of shimmer on this thread, but...

The Cloudburst's ensemble effect sounds distinctly different from shimmer... Traditional shimmer's just some sort of pitch shifting followed by a lot of shmearing. Ensemble clearly sounds like it's a generated synthy-stringy thing rather than having the characteristic shiiiiiii(mer) pitched-up sound of shimmer.

I get that it belongs in the same musical camp maybe, but y'all be talking like it's the same thing, it ain't! :hmm

I was referring to the best of the modern takes on shimmer when different intervals are used than just one and two octaves up. That’s what ensemble is. It’s good at it, very well executed, but it’s a sound I’m bored with.

D

I was referring to the best of the modern takes on shimmer when different intervals are used than just one and two octaves up. That’s what ensemble is. It’s good at it, very well executed, but it’s a sound I’m bored with.

D
That's not what ensemble is. What "best of the modern takes on shimmer when different intervals are used than just one and two octaves up" sounds like ensemble?

I get the sentiment, but it's not the same thing.

Ensemble == chorus

Nothing to do with string synths or shimmer, TBH.

If they're doing something other than a choral derived effect, then ensemble is the wrong word for it.

Back