String Gauge ?

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all, Question for the fine folks here who play or have played in Eb, Stone would like to know what your String Gauge of choice was ?
I tried 40 and 42 and well the Low E sounded like ass, i do prefer a lighter gauge but dont want it sounding like ass either
I was maybe thinking something like 44-9.5 what you all think ?

Cheers
Mike

You can pull up a string gauge calculator, and plug in the gauge and scale of the ones you already have on a guitar that you like the way they sound and feel..., write down the tension of each string, then change the tuning in the calculator, then input the tension #'s you wrote down to see if you can get close.

Generally I use 10- 46 for standard or half step down although I have had guitars that felt right with lighter or heavier gauge strings. Sometimes I think the guitar will dictate what is best regardless of our personal preferences.

I have 10- 46 on my dk-24 and it’s half step down but I need to do another set up on it the string tension is a little sloppy for my tastes.

I always went with 10-46 in std tuning. When we decided to go to Eb for the singer, I went to 11-52, and did that for a long time. The last couple of years I played gigs, I went to 10's in Eb because my hands were having issues.

I pretty much play Eb most of the time now. Depending on the guitar, either 10-46 or 11-49. 10's are usually fine though.

Back when I gigged, I played my 25" PRS in Eb, and Les Paul (24.75" scale) in std, and used 10's on both. But I purposely used the longer scale guitar for Eb, to help keep the tension closer to each other, vs. the other way around.

Uh oh, this is where the trying to cop VH1 tones goes off the rails. :LOL:

I honestly don't know how Edward used a .040 or a .042. He must have had such a light touch
with both hands.

4KQA5jE.jpg

For me it's 10-46 on all 25.5" guitars in standard tuning, 11-48/50 for all 24.75" guitars in standard tuning and 25.5"s in Eb. I usually don't tune down, though.

I don’t even factor in scale length, 10-46 for standard/Eb, 10-52 for D-standard/drop C, 10-56 for 7-string in standard.

I always play in Eb.

9's - 42's.

Once in a while 10's - 42's, or 10-46's if adventurous.

Back