Rock Star
Edgelord
I play in Drop-C usually. So low to high:
C G C F A D

But for some new songs we've been doing:
G G C F A D

So I wanted to experiment with some strings. Now normally I use these:
1708212641589.png

And even though they're a little light for Drop-C, I make do with them and my intonation is fine and the tension feels good, and I'm generally happy with them. But that low string simply won't do a G.

So I bought some of these:
1708212581218.png

First of all... I really like them. The 54, 42, and 30... they sound great. The 11 and 15.. they sound great. And all of these strings tune and intonate easily.

But the 22p? Bloody hell it is awful. It feels like playing piano wire, and it doesn't tune very well, and it sounds nasty and choked off. Doesn't seem to be to do with the action of the bridge, and the nut slot looks to be wide enough to me.

So what do you think??

I took it off and binned it, and put a 17 in its place.

I've also ordered a set of these:
1708212852055.png

However... the low strings are a bit thicker again, and I'm not sure I want to go that high.

I don't want to be one of the custom gauge wankers.... but it seems to me really what I want is:
54 42 30 17 15 11

Which would mean buying individual strings. Thoughts??

Last edited:
If nothing else, the wound third will have a lower output than a plain third, which could account for some of the tone change

I play in Drop-C usually. So low to high:
C G C F A D

But for some new songs we've been doing:
G G C F A D

So I wanted to experiment with some strings. Now normally I use these:
View attachment 18768
And even though they're a little light for Drop-C, I make do with them and my intonation is fine and the tension feels good, and I'm generally happy with them. But that low string simply won't do a G.

So I bought some of these:
View attachment 18767

First of all... I really like them. The 54, 42, and 30... they sound great. The 11 and 15.. they sound great. And all of these strings tune and intonate easily.

But the 22p? Bloody hell it is awful. It feels like playing piano wire, and it doesn't tune very well, and it sounds nasty and choked off. Doesn't seem to be to do with the action of the bridge, and the nut slot looks to be wide enough to me.

So what do you think??

I took it off and binned it, and put a 17 in its place.

I've also ordered a set of these:
View attachment 18769

However... the low strings are a bit thicker again, and I'm not sure I want to go that high.

I don't want to be one of the custom gauge wankers.... but it seems to me really what I want is:
52 42 30 17 15 11

Which would mean buying individual strings. Thoughts??
I use this gauge on occasion, from D'Addario. I've tuned down to C# standard on a strat (with 7.25 radius), sometimes C, and they hold up fairly well. If you're playing a longer scale, or using the EverTune bridge, then I know they'd be just fine.
Granted, I'm not a typical chugger style player so take my experience with a grain of salt.

8149V0s2gmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If nothing else, the wound third will have a lower output than a plain third, which could account for some of the tone change
Possibly. I should've recorded it. I think I have one pack left, so next time I do a change I'll record that string in isolation and as part of a chord, and then I'll replace it with the 17 and do the same thing... show you the difference.

The plain 22 sounds gash.

This is the stuff I really noticed when finding the right string gauge for a 5-string bass tuned down a step; the thicker the string, the less snap and clarity it has.

I pretty much hate the sound of all strings thicker than 10-52’s. I prefer the tension/feel of thicker strings and have to be cognizant of over bending due to using 10’s, but it’s one of my idiosyncrasy things I won’t really budge on.

sometimes thicker strings sit funny in the nut and sound choked/bad because they’re not resonating cleanly.

I’ve had the same experience as you before and just gone back to my tried and tested. I do quite fancy trying some lower tunings and figured if I was going to do it, to take it to someone so they can file the nut and check the frets and everything just so it’s all behaving.

sometimes thicker strings sit funny in the nut and sound choked/bad because they’re not resonating cleanly.

I’ve had the same experience as you before and just gone back to my tried and tested. I do quite fancy trying some lower tunings and figured if I was going to do it, to take it to someone so they can file the nut and check the frets and everything just so it’s all behaving.
That could be it. It is hard to tell by eye sometimes, especially if you're a peen like me.

A plain 22 is actually quite stiff in itself and that really doesn't help.
Yeah I think you're probably right tbh. I didn't like the sound of it at all, and I'm not convinced it was an issue to do with my nut, on reflection.

Back