Stomp XL Expression/Wah - What You Got?

Byrdman

Roadie
Looking to add a Wah, but would like to be able to use it as a volume too if possible. I saw a slightly used Cry-Baby at the local GC that I thought would work, but I also have a NUX MG-300 that I could probably set up as a Wah and/or volume, but the switch is flaky and sometimes doesn't seem to engage properly or I'm not doing something right.

Please feel free to recommend or un-recommend and/or Good, Bad, or Ugly it up with what you have used or using.

Thanks!!
Byrdman

Love my Dunlop X Mini, which pairs beautifully with the Stomp / Stomp XL.

pxl_20230307_195735457-jpg.4823

Went through this journey a while ago, and it was painful and not worth the effort imo, to add a wah-volume or a seperate wah/vol pedal. Always a hassle. Also, with the new cabs and the newer amps, the wah models sound fantastic. Please get an expression pedal and just go with the HX inbuilt wahs IMO. So much more control, and you can tweak your wahs and even attach other params to get that sweet wah tone as you sweep through your pedal

I also tried to use a NUX modeler as a wah/vol at some point, with my HX, and not a good combo. Too much latency and volume level mismatches.

I use a Hotone golden label (do not get the red label.. different ohms.. not compatible.. learnt the hard way d-oh) and it works great as an expression pedal. Compact (and not too tiny), all metal and solid.

I also tried to use a NUX modeler as a wah/vol at some point, with my HX, and not a good combo. Too much latency and volume level mismatches.
That has been my experience so far, but thought I could have set it up wrong. Thanks!!

I’ve been using a Vox Stomplab mostly for wah and volume with my OG Stomp. It’s not inspiring but it works fine for cheap.
I appreciate the suggestion. I'll check it out but so far from my research the Mission and the Dunlop X Mini seem to work very well for a lot of people. Hell, @Digital Igloo recommended the Dunlop, so that says volumes.

Plus, I'm trying to move towards a "One and Done" vs what I have been doing in the past of getting cheap stuff to get by until I need better with my gear buying. I have stupid gear laying around that is practically worthless I have collected over the years and it's just wasted $$. So, waiting a little longer to spend a little more is okay. Plus the MG-300 can do it just not ideal so not sure that cheap cry-baby or other less expensive options are worth it.

Love my Dunlop X Mini, which pairs beautifully with the Stomp / Stomp XL.

pxl_20230307_195735457-jpg.4823
This, been using one with my HX FX for a while and really like it so far.

That said, it's also small and quite portable, but I'd consider upgrading to a DVP-3 some day, mainly due to the size tho (my feet go to 11).

Because I like them bigger. 😁

This, been using one with my HX FX for a while and really like it so far.

That said, it's also small and quite portable, but I'd consider upgrading to a DVP-3 some day, mainly due to the size tho (my feet go to 11).

Because I like them bigger. 😁
I see that I can pick up a bigger one for about the same price. I'll go check them out!

Agree that the Dunlop mini is great, however I just switched to the slightly larger version (8" DVP5) and like it better. Feels better under the foot, but doesn't fit as easily as the mini on small board.

Yeah, if space is not an issue, i'd consider its bigger brother.

The X Mini is about as long as the Stomp is tall, it's like they were designed for each other. Screenshot from some random YT video:

Screenshot from 2023-12-07 19-37-24.png

Also, wah-vol pedals don't sound like good wah pedals at all, so it is better to steer away from those IMO. Ymmv

By now (after getting used to it), I actually prefer my Hotone Soulpress II over my Crybaby 535.

Fwiw, especially in conjunction with the Stomp, I'd kill for a dual function pedal allowing me to switch between wah and EXP. The Soulpress has an EXP out - but it's permanently on (which is pretty pointless IMO). It's a wah/vol, too, but I'd rather have the volume control later in the signal chain, so I would prefer to skip the volume pedal function and switch between wah and EXP.
Hm, maybe a decent technician could modify the Soulpress...

There's a new (I think?) expression pedal with a footswitch coming from Hotone. Could interest some you.

Hotone Ampero II Press

I'd prefer a bigger one especially for wah use though. Is the Mission Engineering pedal the only full sized expression pedal with a footswitch?
Thanks for this! Need to upgrade my Hotone Ampero Press 2 to this. The switch is essential when using wah models, to avoid tap dancing.

Back