Steve Vai in the eyes of Generation Z (warning: Polyphia contents)

They’re still young, I’ve kind of put them in the “Check back in a few years down the road” box. There’s only so many techniques I can hear crammed into one lick or melody line before I lose interest and the pick, pop, slide, harmonic, slap, slide, harmonic thing in different combinations gets a bit samey for me. Outside of that, I got nothing bad to say about them. They’re packing their live shows with a crowd of men and women, which is pretty fucking crazy for instrumental guitar.

7wto7k.gif

If I had a nickel for every virtuoso I respect but don’t enjoy listening to…

And then there’s Polyphia.

The only thing worse than listening to Polyphia is listening to the tired old adage that if you don’t like something new it’s because you’re old. As if every single “new” song is objectively the greatest song the human race has ever known and the only possible explanation for anyone not liking it is that they’re old and out of touch :facepalm

Yup. A retort for the brain dead who can't think of anything novel to reply with. :LOL:

No offense to anyone currently using it, or has used it in the past. :hugitout

Another retort that needs to extinguish itself is, "You are just jealous and don't like them
because they are successful. Yeah, I don't like Pizza either because it is so successful, or Tacos." :facepalm

How hard did you have to work for those replies, Buddy?? :hmm

:rofl

And now old timers might understand why Vai went to play on a Polyphia song... Polyphia doesnt need Vai... Vai needed Polyphia to gather to younger generations. I know I know... its very hard to grasp for some, but read it again ;)

And now old timers might understand why Vai went to play on a Polyphia song... Polyphia doesnt need Vai... Vai needed Polyphia to gather to younger generations. I know I know... its very hard to grasp for some, but read it again ;)

Definitely no way Steve Vai simply respects them for pushing boundaries and dug the song, there absolutely had to be an ulterior motive at play! No one does anything just for the sake of doing it anymore, not without considering that cash!

There is nothing wrong with all the above.
Polyphia respects Vai, Vai respects Polyphia. Both may also see the opportunity to garner fans from each's camp.. No harm in that?
Who doesn't want to reach a larger audience with their art?

Ban me, I love Polyphia - incredible live show too! Are they Vai? No - but heck, there's even a lot of Vai I don't like listening too just because of the key signatures and cheerful vibe and Vai is one of my favorite players too.

Also I can't help but laugh seeing people react to Tim's appearance with such immediate and strongly negative takes. I realize that's probably his goal too but nonetheless.

Music is really generational and that's something I really like about it even though I don't like all new music genres and such.

Every time I hear Polyphia it reminds me of the scene from Amadeus

To be fair, that's what people have said about shred/guitar focused music forever (like batio).

Not a hook or earworm to be had.
Yeah, same here. I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree with that -- and admittedly I haven't listened to all their releases so maybe I've missed something that would draw me in.
But a lot of people will argue -- "you just don't like them because they're too fast and technical, new generation band, etc.."
I love technical stuff, especially when it has melodic interest or a theme mixed in. Rachmaninoff, Chopin come to mind for starters.

Love Steve, but I just “don’t get” Polyphia. If someone has any tips on how to change my mind, be my guest.
I'll admit I dig a few of their tunes, especially "Playing God". But after listening to all of their albums, it's all a bit samesy for me. A lot of slappy mcpoppy bullshit.

Don't get me wrong; they're hugely talented, and blow me outta the water. Hell, I'm not even in the same ocean. But yeah, I'd rather listen to Intervals, Plini, or Nick Johnston, if we're talking new gen instrumentalists.

Back