Steve Vai in the eyes of Generation Z (warning: Polyphia contents)

Piing

Roadie
Vai is coming to Bangkok. The organizer has written a short bio to announce the event at their Facebook, and the only achievement he highlights is that he had the honor of playing with Polyphia :facepalm

Translated from Thai:
"The best legendary guitarist in the world, "Birth of the 6-String Wizard", who was recently honored featuring a new band, Polyphia, and now it's time that everyone has been waiting for. with a visit to Thailand, meeting fans and playing divine music again. See you on October 28, 2023, MCC Hall, 4th floor, The Mall Life Store Ngamwongwan. Thai fans can't miss it at all"

:puppet

That was the Thai version. The English version, probably written by someone older, goes like this:

"The American Guitarist, who has worked with Frank Zappa, Whitesnake, Alice Cooper and David Lee Roth among others in a three-decade-plus career, hits the stage for “Steve Vai Live in Bangkok 2023” October 28th 2023 at MCC Hall Flr.4 The Mall Lifestore Ngamwongwan"

giphy.gif

Look, I get it. Tim Henson is somewhat of a virtuoso with all that slapping, tapping, and popping he does. But to a hip hop drum beat? :wat

Just different cultures. Reminds me of the time Van Halen opened for Bon Jovi in Europe.

I dig me some Tim btw. Monster player. Polyphia ain’t my thing, but that dude and the other guy can play

Look, I get it. Tim Henson is somewhat of a virtuoso with all that slapping, tapping, and popping he does. But to a hip hop drum beat? :wat

Prog Pop? Not even that proggy. I don't know what it is. Just doesn't resonate with me. Not a single song
I have heard was I ever like, "I need to hear that again."

As cool as some seem to think it is there is something played out and redundant about it. Like I have heard
it all before somewhere else in Modern Pop Production. :idk

Translated from Thai:
"The best legendary guitarist in the world, "Birth of the 6-String Wizard", who was recently honored featuring a new band, Polyphia, and now it's time that everyone has been waiting for. with a visit to Thailand, meeting fans and playing divine music again. See you on October 28, 2023, MCC Hall, 4th floor, The Mall Life Store Ngamwongwan. Thai fans can't miss it at all"

I think it’s just a language thing.

They could have meant that Polyphia were honouring/paying respect to Vai.

Polyphia's Tim and Scott are monster players for sure but their music dont move me does nothing for me
Tim is somewhat of a arrogant little fuck but Scott on the other hand is pretty cool dude

If someone has any tips on how to change my mind, be my guest.
No need. Old f*ucks didn't like ragtime, then they didn't like jazz, then they didn't like rock'n'roll, then they didn't like metal, then they didn't like disco, then they didn't like rap, then they didn't like hip-hop, then they didn't like techno... Today's old f*cks don't like Polyphia.

1692865885855.png

I admire and respect them and what they did for popularization of guitar, but that doesn't mean I have to listen to it (I listened two whole albums, just not for me).

I don't really get Polyphia or Steve Vai tbh. I totally respect the ability but the music doesn't float my boat. :sofa

The best description I ever heard for Polyphia was Elevator Core.

I respect them all as musicians and creators. Vai is so original and has an eclectic background and thinks very differently, which I love. Polyphia is just not my thing musically. Nothing draws me in (i've tried). It's not because they're newer music, and I'm just getting older (49). I listen to way more newer music from typically younger artists then I do older stuff. I love instrumentals but even the music I buy now is probably 80% with vocals and female singers.

If I had a nickel for every virtuoso I respect but don’t enjoy listening to…

And then there’s Polyphia.

The only thing worse than listening to Polyphia is listening to the tired old adage that if you don’t like something new it’s because you’re old. As if every single “new” song is objectively the greatest song the human race has ever known and the only possible explanation for anyone not liking it is that they’re old and out of touch :facepalm

As already stated, the Polyphia guys have chops for days. I wish I played half as well as either of them. I don’t think they’re good writers though.
The Polyphia songs I’ve heard are very static harmonically and lack development. It’s like they’re the backing track waiting for the singer or rapper. It’s interesting for a minute but doesn’t hold my attention. Being good at any instrument doesn’t automatically make you a composer (I think this applies to a lot of big name instrumental players so they’re not alone).

Their playing style is a new direction for guitar and will become more and more common. Hell, I’d like to learn some of their techniques. It will be interesting when the style is used by a really good composer. Who knows? Maybe it has been and I don’t know about them.

Now excuse me while I go play music composed 100s of years ago on an instrument that doesn’t use electricity.

Back