Stereo

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all you model citizen,
so was wondering in a stereo setup do you need 2 amps and 2 paths ? I do use 2 ("FRFR" PA Monitors) for L&R
and if using a single amp which is Mono is there really any benefit to having delay and modulation in stereo

Thanks all for your valued input

Howdy all you model citizen,
so was wondering in a stereo setup do you need 2 amps and 2 paths ? I do use 2 ("FRFR" PA Monitors) for L&R
and if using a single amp which is Mono is there really any benefit to having delay and modulation in stereo

Thanks all for your valued input
I my experience stereo, when playing on your own in the room, sounds fantastic, however, when I play stereo in a full band setting it ain't worth the enormous trouble & cost it is.

Add to that, if the FOH PA isn't operating in stereo what's the point AND the listener must be in the middle of the venue to hear the stereo field if it is being run in stereo.

Put your headphones on and blow your brains out playing stereo to get it out of your system as again, it ain't worth your time and effort for live playing. :beer :beer :beer :beer

2 pa speakers in stereo sound glorious :chef

But you could also do a cab for one side and pa for the other.

And you only need one path, just make sure all fx's after the amp are set to stereo

I'm not sure if it's true stereo or dual mono, but I usually use a pedal with a second out and add a dummy load on the second input. Cheap way to get that stereo sound.

stan marsh snow GIF by South Park

Regarding the original question--no, imo you don't need two amps to get a worthwhile stereo sound--a lot of reverbs/delays/mod effects will give you a nice stereo sound from a single amp. Whether one amp or two and/or stereo is right for a given application is another question.

Last edited:
No need for two amps, just use stereo effects post amp. :). Unless you want blend amps of course.

This is weird to say, but for most of the enjoyment of stereo effects it actually doesn’t matter much what the second amp is. If you’ve only got one amp as your main tone, the other amp just serves to fill out the sound, and a little eq will make you happy.

Regarding the argument against playing stereo live, it really depends. If you’re gigging in a regular bar scene where you’re at different venues, sharing gigs with other bands, etc. you will probably wind up getting sick of the extra setup, tweaking, and tear down. However, there are plenty of us who don’t do that scene (anymore). And the audience never hears what you’re hearing, so just set up for your enjoyment and the cohesiveness of the band.

Stereo for stage monitoring and mono for the FOH is my preference.

Stereo for me means one amp and post amp stereo effects, basically delays and reverbs.

I my experience stereo, when playing on your own in the room, sounds fantastic, however, when I play stereo in a full band setting it ain't worth the enormous trouble & cost it is.

Add to that, if the FOH PA isn't operating in stereo what's the point AND the listener must be in the middle of the venue to hear the stereo field if it is being run in stereo.

Put your headphones on and blow your brains out playing stereo to get it out of your system as again, it ain't worth your time and effort for live playing. :beer :beer :beer :beer
True and for me Im only in my room, & does sound amazing

I always run one output into my "FRFR" and the other to the pa. Gives me the stereo vibes without the headaches. I like it way better than mono.

Back