Slaves !!

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all , thank you for clicking :D
But seriously I'm wondering how amp slaving is done in the fractal or is it even possible?
like IRL with actual amps you take the Preamp of a Boogie MKIIc+ (Crunch Berries) and use the power amp of a JCM (2204 or 2203) ?
LIne out of whatever Preamp you want to use and then plugged into the effects return of whatever amp you want to use the power amp section of

Thanks all for your valued input
Much appreciated

Cheers
Mike

Our last big show I ran a 4x12 on each side of the stage. Outs from the helix to the fx return of my 5153 on my side and then to my peavey power amp on the other. Sounded awesome.

I tried the preamp blocks in the helix but didn't like them as much as the amp blocks. Maybe the preamp blocks could be dialed in better but the amp blocks sound killer so I just use them.

Howdy all , thank you for clicking :D
But seriously I'm wondering how amp slaving is done in the fractal or is it even possible?
like IRL with actual amps you take the Preamp of a Boogie MKIIc+ (Crunch Berries) and use the power amp of a JCM (2204 or 2203) ?
LIne out of whatever Preamp you want to use and then plugged into the effects return of whatever amp you want to use the power amp section of

Thanks all for your valued input
Much appreciated

Cheers
Mike
It's not possible with Fractal. Cliff has stated a few times that he isn't willing to separate the preamps and power-amps because it could open up the algorithms to hacking his amp models and his patented amp-modelling technology. It is a shame, because I would love to do exactly what you propose in order to get that MOP tone. Some people get around it by changing the 'slave' amp model to preamp only (by disabling the power-amp modelling) and running this into another amp model with the 'Tube Pre' selected and then utilising that power-amp section. I haven't tried it, so don't know how well it works. I'm considering buying a St. Rock Amperium Live exactly for the ability to do what you are describing.

@Stone
kinky tv land GIF by #Impastor

You can do a good bit of that -inside- the Fractal without needing a pre-amp only out.
The power section is tweakable and it can make a real difference. Have you tried it? Try it!
I do this with different Marshalls today, though I'm not on a Metallica tone quest.

As a Metallica fan, the differences in your right hand technique will be 10X more important than the subtle differences in tone tweaking, once you are in the ballpark. Hetfield is the King among thrashers for a reason... listen to Disposable Heroes!

Like EVH, the his amp tone only gets you part of the way there.

1:19 the riff that never ends! : )

Last edited:
Back