Step 1 of GAS…. “Research”

KingsXJJ

Roadie
Dear lord help me… I decided to “look into” the Neural Quad Cortex… For science of course.

OH NOES!!!

Animated GIF

I researched too and decided hell no. That said, for a strict live scenario were I usually stick to a couple sounds, some delay and a couple other effects it would do just great, and I could capture my fave amp(s) for it.
I love the idea, but they're quite not there yet.

Well at least tell us your current findings in your research. There's not much meat here to discuss, otherwise.

Is the QC a go? Are you tempted? What are you attracted to? What turns you off or gives you pause?
Great response.
1. Not sure yet if it’s a go or no-go
2. Yes, I’m tempted… by all gear that kicks. Very curious about the power and possibilities
3. I’m attracted to stout processing power and the idea of captures. This unit could pay for itself if it can deliver my amp collection and I could sell even half of them.
4. No turn offs but I suppose what gives me pause is whether Neural can deliver on maximizing the platform. If they can… Wow.

I’ve had an AxeFX-III. Great unit but big and with a UI that was a pain for me. I would like a smaller unit with the same or more processing power and a great touch UI. I think Neural is making progress. After waiting months for a FM-3 update while watching multiple AxeFX3 and Neural updates I sold that unit too. I want a flagship with legs. Since I passed on the big hullabaloo discussions over TGP, I may be out of the loop on some outstanding issues. The secondary function of the foot switches as parameter change pots is brilliant IMO.

At least make sure you are buying it (if you do) for what it is today and not what was “promised.”

@Whizzinby I think has a list of promises/claims that haven’t seen the light of day yet.

For me - the captures weren’t a big draw as I don’t have an amp collection. The modeling was good, but lacking in variety. Effects were okay but lacking in quantity. I loved the form factor and touch screen interface. I wanted to use it on the road (hotel room practice) but it has a loud buzz problem when only connected to guitar and headphones. (That noise goes away when I ALSO have it connected to Macbook or powered speaker or amp, so it’s not a huge show stopper, but was certainly inconvenient). File management (and finding / organizing captures) currently SUCKS. (Cue the whack-a-mole gif).

At least make sure you are buying it (if you do) for what it is today and not what was “promised.”

@Whizzinby I think has a list of promises/claims that haven’t seen the light of day yet.

For me - the captures weren’t a big draw as I don’t have an amp collection. The modeling was good, but lacking in variety. Effects were okay but lacking in quantity. I loved the form factor and touch screen interface. I wanted to use it on the road (hotel room practice) but it has a loud buzz problem when only connected to guitar and headphones. (That noise goes away when I ALSO have it connected to Macbook or powered speaker or amp, so it’s not a huge show stopper, but was certainly inconvenient). File management (and finding / organizing captures) currently SUCKS. (Cue the whack-a-mole gif).
I don’t know what was promised so that hasn’t really been a factor. IMO, if they continue to add amps and effects while curating a growing number of captured amps, including mine, it could be worth investing in.

I’m impressed with the hardware and form factor already. If they can continue to mature it… bonus. I’m a relatively simple guy with my tones. I’ve been playing long enough to know what I can work with on my end and what I prefer not to. But as far as high-end stuff is concerned I want solid amp modeling that’s adjustable to a degree. I don’t want to have to go deep like cap value changes, etc. but I do want to adjust bias, resonance, presence, power amp liveliness and compression and perhaps tube swaps… things along those lines.

If a unit can offer that with an excellent UI that allows me to easily “play around” with adding effects and flavor beyond the basic delays and reverbs. Well that would be nice. I have too many amp and too many pedals that I love dearly. Simplifying at this point in my life would be sweet.

I’ll look for @Whizzinby list. unless he’d be so kind to link to it.

Ha, @Whizzinby reminds me of the Twilight Zone…
“Next Stop…Willoughby”

Last edited:
Other thing to consider about the seemingly small form factor is that some people find the footswitch button spacing a bit tight. They are spaced closer than the footswitches on the Helix, for example.

@KingsXJJ The QC still seems to be selling as fast as they can make them, so I guess you can always try it out and still manage to sell it, if it doesn't suit you. I'm a big proponent of "just try stuff".

@KingsXJJ It's easy and fun to make snarky comments about the QC (and I enjoy that too). But fun aside, on the whole I feel that people have been open-minded and willing to debate the QC and competitiors on TGF so far.

I _did_ read some of the debates elsewhere and formed my opinion that the QC and NDSP are not for me at this time, but I remain interested in all gear as you are. I'm a geek for it.

This is a (mainly guitar) gear forum for discussing gear. Discuss away!

Bottom line how is the amp modeling and capture?

Modeling In line with Fractal? Captures in line with Kemper?
or better?

Great response.
1. Not sure yet if it’s a go or no-go
2. Yes, I’m tempted… by all gear that kicks. Very curious about the power and possibilities
3. I’m attracted to stout processing power and the idea of captures. This unit could pay for itself if it can deliver my amp collection and I could sell even half of them.
4. No turn offs but I suppose what gives me pause is whether Neural can deliver on maximizing the platform. If they can… Wow.

I’ve had an AxeFX-III. Great unit but big and with a UI that was a pain for me. I would like a smaller unit with the same or more processing power and a great touch UI. I think Neural is making progress. After waiting months for a FM-3 update while watching multiple AxeFX3 and Neural updates I sold that unit too. I want a flagship with legs. Since I passed on the big hullabaloo discussions over TGP, I may be out of the loop on some outstanding issues. The secondary function of the foot switches as parameter change pots is brilliant IMO.
It’s very much a YMMV situation. It has its issues but they’re not issues everyone is going to care about. Flipside, it has its strengths some of which are legitimately unique. I love mine, full stop.

I say move on to phase 1b of GAS: confirming the return policy. Make sure you have nothing to lose. The only way to really know, is to get one in your own hands for a while.

Back