Soon… EVH-100WH-6L6 with two EVH 2X12’s. Loaded differently (all non-stock)

KingsXJJ

Roadie
1 EVH 2X12 loaded with Creamback 65’s on top.
2 EVH 2X12 loaded with Creamback 75’s on bottom.

Just waiting on the 75’s.

Based on my experience with two identical cabs loaded with CB 65’s and stock G12H anniversary speakers in the same configuration… this will likely nail things up for me. I certainly hope so.

Love, love, love the 65’s singing lead up top with the G12H nailing down a tight thump on the low end and a +3db bump in efficiency compared to the top cab. The high end on the bottom cab also offers some excitement to the mix without harshness due to being low and off-axis.

I ran them every which way to Sunday and this setup sounded best. I think the 75’s will be the final piece. The 65’s and 30 Annv. sound so good together this way. I expect more when the 75’s enter the chat. I’ll update when I have the whole kit and kaboodle.
1F045AD7-0E3A-4536-B0D2-A19CDE43468B.jpeg
m

Last edited:
I finally get why using different drivers in tandem is so attractive. On a different note…

I’d like to hear thoughts about how one might replicate a resonance knob via EQ. Sure, I know where the frequencies might lay depending on amp and tubes. Centered anywhere between 50hz-120hz with a “perceived Q” of X. I also know that resonance on a tube amp is more complicated than that. So… before I dive in and experiment are there any observations or things I should consider? Things like intangibles between the two or volume centric parameters to consider beyond or in addition to Fletcher-Munson related matters? I am looking directly at you @santiall but would love to hear from others as well.

Last edited:
Another use case I am pursuing this for, if it isn’t already obvious, is maintaining some sort of continuity of tone between various volume levels and venues. “Bedroom” versus jam versus studio recording (mic’d) or live or whatever else.

Are these things I am just interested in or has this board pivoted to the Super Bowl? To me, this sounds like an idea many of us might like to wrestle down… whether using modeling, low watt combos or sweet half-stacks. Or anything else.

Gonna use the Source Audio EQ2 and JHS Little Black Box in the loop along with Reverb and Delay.

I finally get why using different drivers in tandem is so attractive. On a different note…

I’d like to hear thoughts about how one might replicate a resonance knob via EQ. Sure, I know where the frequencies might lay depending on amp and tubes. Centered anywhere between 50hz-120hz with a “perceived Q” of X. I also know that resonance on a tube amp is more complicated than that. So… before I dive in and experiment are there any observations or things I should consider? Things like intangibles between the two or volume centric parameters to consider beyond or in addition to Fletcher-Munson related matters? I am looking directly at you @santiall but would love to hear from others as well.
Hi, I'd not bother on Fletcher-Munson curvers or any other technicalities, at the end those are creative controls to allow you to shape the sound you are getting.
As long as you are not distorting the power amp, it is pretty much the same to use the power amp controls (presence/resonance/depth...) than similar controls before the power amplifier. The Presence is usually a shelving control and the resonance may be a bandpass or a shelving depending on the amplifier.
Peavey had a patent on some style of resonance, which was easily bypassed as pretty much the same circuit was in some books, but to avoid dealing with lawyers it was easier to have some sort of inductor like Diezel or a gyrator ("artificial" inductor) in parallel with the presence control.
I'd not worry much, just try ;)

Hi, I'd not bother on Fletcher-Munson curvers or any other technicalities, at the end those are creative controls to allow you to shape the sound you are getting.
As long as you are not distorting the power amp, it is pretty much the same to use the power amp controls (presence/resonance/depth...) than similar controls before the power amplifier. The Presence is usually a shelving control and the resonance may be a bandpass or a shelving depending on the amplifier.
Peavey had a patent on some style of resonance, which was easily bypassed as pretty much the same circuit was in some books, but to avoid dealing with lawyers it was easier to have some sort of inductor like Diezel or a gyrator ("artificial" inductor) in parallel with the presence control.
I'd not worry much, just try ;)
The resonance knob on the EVH 50W 5L6 50 watt and LBX heads works wonderfully as a variable loudness or as simply adding chunk. Since the 100W base EVH head omitted this (I have no reason why) I want to replicate it. It’s super handy when switching environments. cabs or styles. I’d just like to be able to do so as accurately as possible with outboard tools.

I will try! Just waiting on a couple of drivers for the bottom 2x12.

Thanks for the advice and help! I’d like to have a resource like you available to engineer/produce custom heads.
I’d like a 20-30watt head with everything please. With extra sauce.
😉

The resonance knob on the EVH 50W 5L6 50 watt and LBX heads works wonderfully as a variable loudness or as simply adding chunk. Since the 100W base EVH head omitted this (I have no reason why) I want to replicate it. It’s super handy when switching environments. cabs or styles. I’d just like to be able to do so as accurately as possible with outboard tools.

I will try! Just waiting on a couple of drivers for the bottom 2x12.

Thanks for the advice and help! I’d like to have a resource like you available to engineer/produce custom heads.
I’d like a 20-30watt head with everything please. With extra sauce.
😉
I'd think that they simply didn't have enough space on the panel and were thinking whether to have 3 presence controls or a master presence and resonance, who knows. Sometimes product definition discussions can get very silly and what seems obvious keeps being discussed and maybe forgotten...
20-30W head with 'everything', what's everything haha, the problem with smal heads is front panel room to put the controls

I bet that sounds killer! When I had the 50w and 2x12" I was really impressed by how much punch that single 2x12" delivered.

I'd think that they simply didn't have enough space on the panel and were thinking whether to have 3 presence controls or a master presence and resonance, who knows. Sometimes product definition discussions can get very silly and what seems obvious keeps being discussed and maybe forgotten...
20-30W head with 'everything', what's everything haha, the problem with smal heads is front panel room to put the controls
They put three individual resonance controls on the back for each channel on the very similar Stealth and EL-34 heads. Surely one global around back was possible too. Since it was on the “cheap” LBX head too… I don’t think cost was the barrier.

Otherwise, I think the amp is pretty much perfect… Price, tone, looks, features. Except for the missing resonance.

Looks like late Feb or early March on the 75’s… Grrrr. Must hold tight and be strong.

BTW, part of my strategy of having two 2x12’s each loaded with 65’s and 75’s isn’t just get the mixed tone strengths of each… but also the ability to compensate for the lack of resonance control by placing the CB75 cab on bottom when more chunk is needed (high resonance) and the CB65 cab on bottom when less is warranted (low resonance). I can compensate for tge difference on the top end with the amp onboard presence controls. This sounds good in theory; we’ll see how it goes IRL.

They put three individual resonance controls on the back for each channel on the very similar Stealth and EL-34 heads. Surely one global around back was possible too. Since it was on the “cheap” LBX head too… I don’t think cost was the barrier.

Otherwise, I think the amp is pretty much perfect… Price, tone, looks, features. Except for the missing resonance.
yeah, after a few months in the market I'm sure users started to come back to them with "hey, we want resonance controls!", and then internally some people were saying "you see, I told you!" and the others "but controls on the back are ugly!" :rofl

Back