Song Structure For Plush

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all So being a Noob and all i was wondering if anyone knows the Song structure of Plush

like what parts of the song are -->

Intro
Verse
Pre Chorus?
Chorus
Bridge (if there is one)

Thanks all for the Input

As many times as I’ve heard that song I’d have to sit down and listen to it to list that out. Hahaha I remember back in high school when we were playing this, our drummer couldn’t remember the structure and our bass player explained it as “This isn’t the end of the song yet, this is where you go “loodoodoo” on the toms and we come back in for another verse”, that was about 25 years ago and we still bust his balls about “loodoodoo”

Easiest way is to listen to it and map it out. I'd say it has a pre-verse, a verse, and a chorus. Nothing I would call a pre-chorus or bridge in it at all? I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Plush is an interesting song because it doesn't seem to have a traditional chorus, which seems to create this tension that goes a bit unresolved until the bridge.

Here's how I would chart it:

Intro (4x)
-- +2 beats for drum fill
Verse (2x) "And I feel that time's a wasted go..."
Pre-chorus (2x) "And I feel it"
Chorus (4x) "Where ya going..."
Intro (2x)
-- +2 beats for drum fill
Verse (2x) "And I feel...
Pre-chorus (2x) "And I feel it"
Chorus (4x) "Where ya going..."
Bridge (4x) "When the dogs..."
-- last 2 beats stretch out
Intro (4x)
-- +2 beats silence
Chorus (4x)
Bridge (4x)
-- last 2 beats stretch out
Intro (4x)
-- hold last note

So how I did that is just break the song up into sections pretty much by riff, and note how many times that riff repeats. I don't really think about it in terms of bars or measures.

Also note there's a lot of times there are a couple extra beats or held beats.

Double also, if you're learning the song, really try to get the right chords which sounds a million times better than the way most noobs play it.

Double also, if you're learning the song, really try to get the right chords which sounds a million times better than the way most noobs play it.
Thank you for that breakdown :chef
Yes Def playing it with the Right Chords, in which Im having a hard time especially when switching to E flat Major 7 :crazy
thing i love about dean is his chord and progressions they sound so amazing the way he structured them
also very melodic and haunting in a sense

Yes Def playing it with the Right Chords, in which Im having a hard time especially when switching to E flat Major 7 :crazy
thing i love about dean is his chord and progressions they sound so amazing the way he structured them
Before I learned the song I never played the C shape as a barre up the neck. So that was initially tricky and songs like Under the Bridge were hard too. This is a great way to learn that. Just practice hitting the chord and getting back to F over and over. Clean at first then speed up. It’s a great exercise! The major 7 is easier than the full chord for me as there’s one less note to fret.

I was just saying recently that Dean was one of the last rock guitar players who knew his sh*t and used “real” chords. In popular rock music, I don’t know of anyone else who was doing more than the basic cowboy/barre chords, but Dean was out there tearin‘ it up.
Before I learned the song I never played the C shape as a barre up the neck. So that was initially tricky and songs like Under the Bridge were hard too. This is a great way to learn that. Just practice hitting the chord and getting back to F over and over. Clean at first then speed up. It’s a great exercise! The major 7 is easier than the full chord for me as there’s one less note to fret.

Hahahahah I‘ve had periods where I’d trash talk RHCP quite a bit, mostly in my teens. A girlfriend asked me to learn “Under The Bridge” and I was more than happy to oblige until I actually went to learn it. I just couldn’t figure it out back then and my trash talking turned into “I can’t stand that band, but holy sh*t, I couldn’t believe how much of a b*tch it was to play Under The Bridge, I didn’t even get past the intro”

Fast forward to this time last year, I was joining a cover band and it was on the setlist, I actually got nervous, despite 25 years passing since my last attempt, but I got it this time around. It was always the hammer-on/pull-off part of the intro I had to ensure my fingers were placed in the exact right spot to nail correctly. Then the little Hendrix stuff in the verses, that was actually a b*tch to pull off with that PRS but with my Strats it’s a hell of a lot easier. Funny, I’m playing through my FM9 into a 2x12 in this, but you hear the acoustic sound of the guitar over both my TV and the amp in this vid. (Audio kicks in shortly after I start, old phone was jacked up)

I was just saying recently that Dean was one of the last rock guitar players who knew his sh*t and used “real” chords. In popular rock music, I don’t know of anyone else who was doing more than the basic cowboy/barre chords, but Dean was out there tearin‘ it up.

Hahahahah I‘ve had periods where I’d trash talk RHCP quite a bit, mostly in my teens. A girlfriend asked me to learn “Under The Bridge” and I was more than happy to oblige until I actually went to learn it. I just couldn’t figure it out back then and my trash talking turned into “I can’t stand that band, but holy sh*t, I couldn’t believe how much of a b*tch it was to play Under The Bridge, I didn’t even get past the intro”

Fast forward to this time last year, I was joining a cover band and it was on the setlist, I actually got nervous, despite 25 years passing since my last attempt, but I got it this time around. It was always the hammer-on/pull-off part of the intro I had to ensure my fingers were placed in the exact right spot to nail correctly. Then the little Hendrix stuff in the verses, that was actually a b*tch to pull off with that PRS but with my Strats it’s a hell of a lot easier. Funny, I’m playing through my FM9 into a 2x12 in this, but you hear the acoustic sound of the guitar over both my TV and the amp in this vid. (Audio kicks in shortly after I start, old phone was jacked up)

Yeah and the worst part with the song is there's nowhere to hide in the intro. If you mess up it's ALL on you.

I'd really like to join in with a cover band at some point, not sure what instrument, but it would be fun. Unfortunately with three kids all in sports/activities and full time job and house duties, there's just no time. That's why I quit gigging 15 years ago.

Damn !! the Drew'ster sure can play

fantastic Drew
thanks for sharing that
(y)

Man, I grew to loathe that song. Every time the other guitar player breaks into that cool intro I yawn.

I can't say that about a lot of songs, but that one is just a mid-tempo snooze fest for me. Not
chill enough to be down-tempo, not up-tempo enough to be an ass-kicker. The 90s did that
mid-tempo "WTF do you wanna be when you grow up?" song better than any decade.

Must have been the Cocaine/Heroine combination. :LOL:

It seldom went over well when we played it out either. Didn't stop us from playing it. :idk

It is a great lesson in using Jazzy/Steely Dan style chord voicings in rock. I think that is
where that clean-ish Vox Dean runs shines. That chime really allows those chords to be
articulated in a way gain can schmear. I'd build a dual amp setup for any STP. :banana

As many times as I’ve heard that song I’d have to sit down and listen to it to list that out. Hahaha I remember back in high school when we were playing this, our drummer couldn’t remember the structure and our bass player explained it as “This isn’t the end of the song yet, this is where you go “loodoodoo” on the toms and we come back in for another verse”, that was about 25 years ago and we still bust his balls about “loodoodoo”

Haha! We have our own "Ba-duh-duhns" and "Pooh-Chi-Cha-Cha-Poohs" :LOL:

Music is the universal language. :headbang

Man, I grew to loathe that song. Every time the other guitar player breaks into that cool intro I yawn.

I can't say that about a lot of songs, but that one is just a mid-tempo snooze fest for me. Not
chill enough to be down-tempo, not up-tempo enough to be an ass-kicker. The 90s did that
mid-tempo "WTF do you wanna be when you grow up?" song better than any decade.

Must have been the Cocaine/Heroine combination. :LOL:

It seldom went over well when we played it out either. Didn't stop us from playing it. :idk

It is a great lesson in using Jazzy/Steely Dan style chord voicings in rock. I think that is
where that clean-ish Vox Dean runs shines. That chime really allows those chords to be
articulated in a way gain can schmear. I'd build a dual amp setup for any STP. :banana
RIP and all that; but some weird slithery dude alternating between yelling in a megaphone and copying every grunge by numbers frontman cliche on that first album was more than enough for me at the time. Great voice but a total rip on everything that was a bazillion times cooler around him on the frontman side of things. When they dug back into earlier rock for Purple was when I got it.

Sweet! Frusciante is one of the rare Strat players who doesn't fall into the pit of Strat cliches.

And yeah, pinky work-out anyone!!!

RIP and all that; but some weird slithery dude alternating between yelling in a megaphone and copying every grunge by numbers frontman cliche on that first album was more than enough for me at the time. Great voice but a total rip on everything that was a bazillion times cooler around him on the frontman side of things. When they dug back into earlier rock for Purple was when I got it.

I love it all. I wore Core out. I was a record store employee in college, so I was screaming to all my
friends about it. Post-Grunge Grunge! :LOL:

But yeah.... Scott didn't have a ton of input/influence on Core. The Bowie-isms came into
play on Purple and Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop. He dropped the baritone stylings
for the most part, too. Kind of never returned to that Vedder-like style on Core. And I honestly
missed some of the heaviness on Core---Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing, Dead and Bloated.
They never went that hard again in the same way. :idk

I appreciate and respect your opinion, though. :beer

Yes Def playing it with the Right Chords, in which Im having a hard time especially when switching to E flat Major 7
I barre the 3rd fret, and let the tip of my 1st finger mute the low E, pinky on Eb, ring on G. Don't know if that helps, but it allows me to strum the muted strings to get all those harmonics w/o letting that low E sound.

If you saw the Chilis on Mothers Milk or BSSM tours; that was the :chef

Yup. Lollapalooza 1992. It was like going to a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and not
knowing it at the time. What a lineup!

Tool and RATM were on a side-stage, as I recall. Tool, you are not good enough. :LOL:

I love it all. I wore Core out. I was a record store employee in college, so I was screaming to all my
friends about it. Post-Grunge Grunge! :LOL:

But yeah.... Scott didn't have a ton of input/influence on Core. The Bowie-isms came into
play on Purple and Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop. He dropped the baritone stylings
for the most part, too. Kind of never returned to that Vedder-like style on Core. And I honestly
missed some of the heaviness on Core---Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing, Dead and Bloated.
They never went that hard again in the same way. :idk

I appreciate and respect your opinion, though. :beer
I would rather just listen to Louder than Love and Badmotorfinger over really all of those bands in that same era. But I get liking really all of it. Even Nirvana :bag

Plush is good for those chord voicings, but I'm with @la szum in that it's crickets live. We dropped it, but did Sex Type Thing and Unglued. They both rocked! We saved Plush and Creep for the acoustic/dinner music trio we had later on.

Back