So, When are You MFrs Ready to Give Up?

texhex

Roadie
Only a matter of time Boys...

Glad I have all my albums to fall back on. Shit, I'm still listening to the same 5 songs from 30 years ago...

Yeah the lyrics are nonsense, but good grief!
I’m kinda sweet on the lyrics :sneaky:

“It turns out I really shouldn't eat that bat,
And Twitter ain't a legitimate passtime?,”

And the refrain is as good if not better than most bro’ Country out there. In fact I’d say the song as a whole is at least on a par with most current Country songs I hear piped-in while shopping at my local fresh food market.

Art maybe it ain’t. But serviceable product it most certainly is.

Star Wars Doom GIF

Oddly the mixes are hi-mid, trebly shit in the Rock section.

I would have figured that would be the first thing it got correct.

Because there are already tools that can do the frequency analysis and get the mix pretty darn close.

Although, those tools aren't free.

I’m kinda sweet on the lyrics :sneaky:

“It turns out I really shouldn't eat that bat,
And Twitter ain't a legitimate passtime?,”
I liked the bit about liquor store opening hours on Monday.

Art maybe it ain’t. But serviceable product it most certainly is.
That's honestly what I'm afraid of.

Producing pop music looks something like this atm:
  1. Hire a Swedish songwriter to write the song. Why are the Swedes so good at this? I have no idea!
  2. Get some session musicians to play it all.
  3. Get some studio engineers and producers to shape it into a complete product.
  4. Give it to some pretty looking person to sing. Singing talent not a necessity, auto-tune will fix it. They just need to have some stage charisma.
I am sure there's people out there salivating at the thought of cutting all that down to this:
  1. Record executive Donald Knows-What-Sells tells his intern to come up with a song to finish fiscal quarter 2 with a bang.
  2. Intern goes to work typing prompts to these services until something serviceable comes out.
  3. It gets sent to some studio engineers to polish the quality. This is the only real cost.
  4. Give it to an AI generated celebrity on Tiktok to sing.

At the end of the day I write music because I need to and enjoy it in some way. No amount of AI can ever take that away from me. Money is not my main motivator with music, and especially lately -- that factor is way down the list. I've used AI art for thumbnails in posting music links but a voice in my head still questions it, because I truly enjoy creating art myself in Illustrator, Photoshop and through other means. But on another level the tech fascinates me. So I've chosen convenience over the personal challenge of creating something on my own. It all comes down to time or even laziness. I'd rather be spending more time on music than drawing art in most cases. That's the reality unfortunately but I think going forward I need to make a more valiant effort in tamping down the use of AI art. Even though none of this seems stoppable on the whole, I think it makes a positive difference on a personal, emotional level to refrain.

I look forward to celebrating the text prompt editors that create these songs. “He really knows how to generate the most moving songs”

I liked the bit about liquor store opening hours on Monday.

Could work in a lot of genres, particularly country and rap.

Couple word swaps and we platinum

“Wake up, wake up
The liquor store is opennnnnnnnn,
Get up, get up,
I got 5 on some rummmmmmmm”

I’ve been happily losing money making music ever since I was 14 and got my first job. Even when I was making decent money and got close to it being a career, I couldn’t take the idea of it seriously enough so when it came to an abrupt end, I didn’t give a fuck about the financial side of things.

By the time anyone hears anything I write/record, I’ve already gotten the reasons why I do it, out of it.

I’m not sure this is going to hurt that many musicians, I mean, there are wonderful sounding sample libraries out there, but orchestras still get hired for soundtrack or band work. Is someone going to rely on AI to get exactly what they want when they can call a studio musician they’ve worked with for years that’ll not only get what they want but probably add to it because they have that working relationship? Think of what Tim Pierce did with Goo Goo Dolls “Iris” when he just showed up to play a mandolin part.

On many of the sites for generating AI Music they advertise "royalty-free music" for videos (Mubert, Splash Pro, Media.io, Beatoven etc.) due to copyright strikes and claims on existing tunes.

Just about any and every chord progression has been done before and new songs often get legal claims against them.

Can an AI Bot be sued?

If not, it’s safer – and easier – for many “content creators” to use them, IMHO.

So they will.

Who are going to use these tools and why? Who is buying or hearing the product produced?

Musicians and music lovers may not be quite the same "market" as Content Creators using tunes.

On many of the sites for generating AI Music they advertise "royalty-free music" for videos (Mubert, Splash Pro, Media.io, Beatoven etc.) due to copyright strikes and claims on existing tunes.

Just about any and every chord progression has been done before and new songs often get legal claims against them.

Can an AI Bot be sued?

If not, it’s safer – and easier – for many “content creators” to use them, IMHO.

So they will.

Who are going to use these tools and why? Who is buying or hearing the product produced?

Musicians and music lovers may not be quite the same "market" as Content Creators using tunes.
The person using the AI bot material can be sued.

Back