So, someone has to post it here...Jackson American Series

I could be wrong, but I believe theres a minimum percentage of production that has to take place inside the States to have "made in the USA".

Which is why I'm suspicious of these because they appear to be described as "built in America".

Like Swiss watches. A certain amount of production of parts from raw materials has to happen inside of Switzerland to have the "Swiss Made" Moniker
California just changed their rules on what constitutes "Made In the USA", too.

Ah yeah, the Original "pro" series. Also there was Jackson Stars or something. I don't think those had ebony boards (could be wrong), but the MJ ones look like they're spec for spec to the USA select.

Its weird though, there's still a USA Kelly and a couple others.
The Japanese market guitars and the original "Pros" had ebony. Honestly, I don't know what they're doing here. :rofl

California just changed their rules on what constitutes "Made In the USA", too.
This, or a more recent update?

The Japanese market guitars and the original "Pros" had ebony. Honestly, I don't know what they're doing here. :rofl

Fair enough, were there lower range MIJ Japanese series with Rosewood?

I know right? Maybe there's a new Soloist coming out this year, or as you say, itll become a custom order again.

My purely speculative guess is make an American line fit in with the current economic downturn. There does need to be something in between an Asian 1000-2000 dollar instrument and a 4200 dollar custom shop guitar. This seems to fill that gap.

My purely speculative guess is make an American line fit in with the current economic downturn. There does need to be something in between an Asian 1000-2000 dollar instrument and a 4200 dollar custom shop guitar. This seems to fill that gap.
Well..

Here's a mad thing.

In the UK they're the same price.

But this is probably why we don't view japanese guitars in the same way they're viewed in the states, at least not in terms of Japanese lines of US Companies.

Things like ESP and Ibanez are a bit different, but say Fender Japan and Fender USA. They're all Imports to us in Europe.

I'm not saying that a US made Soloist (USA select) doesn't have a certain standing compared to the MJ series, but there's not the gap in perception between the 2 that there'd be stateside.

In Europe, at least, if These are the same price, I know which I'd go for.

Last edited:
Well..

Here's a mad thing.

In the UK they're the same price.

But this is probably why we don't view japanese guitars in the same way they're viewed in the states, at least not in terms of Japanese lines of US Companies.

Things like ESP and Ibanez are a bit different, but say Fender Japan and Fender USA. They're all Imports to us in Europe.

I'm not say that a US made Soloist (USA select) doesn't have standing a certain standing compared to the MJ series, but there's not the gap in perception between the 2 that there'd be stateside.

In Europe, at least, if These are the same price, I know which I'd go for.
Yea I see the MJ2 now, only seems to be one color option and it’s actually 100 bucks more than the new American one. All the MIC stuff is roughly 1000 dollars cheaper. I wonder how that Gotoh trem compares.

Yea I see the MJ2 now, only seems to be one color option and it’s actually 100 bucks more than the new American one. All the MIC stuff is roughly 1000 dollars cheaper. I wonder how that Gotoh trem compares.
Compared to the Floyd 1000 series or an OFR/Schaller?

Last edited:
The Floyd 1500 that comes on the new jackson.
Gotoh 1996T is comparable to the German made Floyd.

the original Edge trems were Gotoh and still are. The EBMM trem on the original EVH and later Axis up to about 5-10 years ago were 1996Ts (1988T for the EVH), and Suhr actually switched from the OFR to the Gotoh about 10 years ago (Google about that one, there's a few posts about it).

Now to be Fair, Suhr Offer both now, but I would take a Gotoh over an OFR, never mind whatever isnt an OFR in the American series.

The 1996T is a premium bit of kit.

Gotoh 1996T is comparable to the German made Floyd.

the original Edge trems were Gotoh and still are. The EBMM trem on the original EVH and later Axis up to about 5-10 years ago were 1996Ts (1988T for the EVH), and Suhr actually switched from the OFR to the Gotoh about 10 years ago (Google about that one, there's a few posts about it).

Now to be Fair, Suhr Offer both now, but I would take a Gotoh over an OFR, never mind whatever isnt an OFR in the American series.

The 1996T is a premium bit of kit.
Yeah, I agree. The OFR carries a certain cache, but the Gotoh is superior to the Floyd 1500. I'm sure they used the 1500 to keep the price down, but they solve two of the 3 biggest complaints about the Korean Floyds - the screws are garbage so they're all stainless on the 1500 and it has the pop-in arm because their screw-in receiver sucked.

The 3rd is the fine tuners are stiffer, but some 3-in-1 usually fixes that.

This, or a more recent update?

Fair enough, were there lower range MIJ Japanese series with Rosewood?

I know right? Maybe there's a new Soloist coming out this year, or as you say, itll become a custom order again.
Yes, there were plenty with rosewood, and they eventually stopped selling the ones with ebony outside of Japan (although there may have still been some in Europe/SE Asia/Australia) because they were cutting into US sales.

Yeah, I agree. The OFR carries a certain cache, but the Gotoh is superior to the Floyd 1500. I'm sure they used the 1500 to keep the price down, but they solve two of the 3 biggest complaints about the Korean Floyds - the screws are garbage so they're all stainless on the 1500 and it has the pop-in arm because their screw-in receiver sucked.

The 3rd is the fine tuners are stiffer, but some 3-in-1 usually fixes that.

Again, UK prices, but this is loony.

£30 difference between the 1000 series and OFR?

Fair enough this difference may not be reflected in the OEM/wholesale cost of a manufacturer buying In parts. You would hope at that level, the 1000 would be considerably cheaper than the OFR, and hopefully the 1500 would also be cheaper, but if not and you look at the retail price of the Gotoh or Lockmeister, presuming that the difference in cost of those 2 compared to the OFR is represented down at the OEM/wholesale level, then they could have saved more money putting a German or Japanese unit on.

Hot take: The OFR is Sean Connery.

He's the original Bond but not necessarily the best anymore 😉

Last edited:
The Lockmiester is MORE than an OFR in the US, and that's the Pro 1000 series they're selling to people who can't live without a LoPro. The irony there is that, materials-wise, the LoPro is *cheaper* to make. The 1000/1500 standard series trems can ONLY be bought OEM.

I would bet they're paying $50-60 each for the 1500s. That's hard to beat, even with Gotoh OEM pricing.

The Lockmiester is MORE than an OFR in the US, and that's the Pro 1000 series they're selling to people who can't live without a LoPro. The irony there is that, materials-wise, the LoPro is *cheaper* to make.
I would bet they're paying $50-60 each for the 1500s. That's hard to beat, even with Gotoh OEM pricing.
Mad,

different Markets, eh?

Just got the guitar tonite and played it about a half hour. First impressions:
Nothing wrong with this trem so far. Seems to hold tuning and function smoothly for now.
Pickups are well balanced. You don’t feel like you’re dropping huge volume going to the singles.
Neck is REALLY thin. Like, Jem thin. Definitely built for the shredders.
I think these are 9s on it but coupled with the thin neck I feel like I’m playing a banjo after putting my Knaggs down. First order of business is a set of heavier strings.
Action came super low. No buzzing, but very low. Again, shredders.
Kind of reminded me of a mix of my old Kramer and my jackson. It’s really nice playing a sharkfin inlay jackson again. It takes me back.

Guitar doesn’t have that solid weight to it. It’s light. Like Jem light. Great for a 3 set night but if you want to feel a beefy guitar, it doesn’t have that kind of mass to it.

Back