Group shot (so Drew will stop yelling at me...)

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Haven't done one of these in awhile and @DrewJD82 mentioned the need recently, so here ya go:

dOCjoFl.jpeg

Top Row L-R: 2023 Ibanez SR305, 2023 Solar A2.4 Canabalismo, 2022 Solar A2.6CAR, 1994 Ibanez RG470, 2019 Jackson Pro Series HT7, 2023 Solar A2.7 Canabalismo
Bottom Row L-R: 1994 Ibanez EX445, 1987 Fernandes BXB-75, 2023 LTD Arrow-1000, 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Muse, 2020 Jackson X Series DLX Soloist, 2019 Solar A2.6S

How does the Solar stuff compare to the Ibby stuff? As far as super shredder for thrash and death metal dudes goes?

How does the Solar stuff compare to the Ibby stuff? As far as super shredder for thrash and death metal dudes goes?
I was a diehard Ibby guy forever. Now, Id take any of my Solars over an equivalent Ibanez. My 94 RG plays like a dream, but I still reach for the Solars first. Partly because I hate middle pickups (didn’t know that when I bought it in ‘94), but the Solars are lighter and better balanced.

Like that “I gotta puke” feeling when the room won’t stop spinning and the half gallon of Vodka you downed isn’t staying down…
Once you puke it's all smooth sailing after that. :rofl

Seriously though, I like your collection. Making me jones for another pointy guitar, I only have one.

Death and metal!

:satan

@Iron1 ; I wish there were fret markers on some of the Solars. I got away from the no markers concept years back and can't seem to get bring myself back round to the concept. Either way; \m/
So, funny thing, with Red Vinter, my guitar player goes nuts cause as I'm teaching him the songs on my Solar during practice, he can't tell where I am on the fretboard quickly/easily, without the fret markers. I'd never really considered that before, but it makes sense.
How's the fit/finish and quality aspects - ever find anything loose, misaligned, etc?

Solar is really intriguing.
So, my two 6 strings and my bass were totally flawless when I got them (granted I bought the silver one used) and I've had 3 other Solars I no longer own that were also flawless. The green 7 arrived like it hadn't gone through final prep. My understanding is the guitars are built in the same factories that Jackson, Ibanez, etc. use, then they're shipped to the Solar HQ in Spain, where a team of luthiers does the final fit/finish stuff, setups, etc. and QC before they get shipped out. The green one showed up like it skipped that stage. I detailed it here.

I know there are a pile of haters on Facebook who skewer Ola and Solar every chance they get, but so far, I've had better luck with their QC than any other company, aside from maybe Ibanez Soundgear basses. Pretty sure Drew can say the same. We also know a guy on another forum who has gone through dozens of Solars (he was buying them direct in the early days then selling them here in the US) and never heard him complain either.

Edit to add: I forgot my bass did need some lube on the tuning keys when I first got it. Took me all of 3 minutes to do and Solar sent me a free tee shirt for the "hassle". 🤣

So, funny thing, with Red Vinter, my guitar player goes nuts cause as I'm teaching him the songs on my Solar during practice, he can't tell where I am on the fretboard quickly/easily, without the fret markers. I'd never really considered that before, but it makes sense.

So, my two 6 strings and my bass were totally flawless when I got them (granted I bought the silver one used) and I've had 3 other Solars I no longer own that were also flawless. The green 7 arrived like it hadn't gone through final prep. My understanding is the guitars are built in the same factories that Jackson, Ibanez, etc. use, then they're shipped to the Solar HQ in Spain, where a team of luthiers does the final fit/finish stuff, setups, etc. and QC before they get shipped out. The green one showed up like it skipped that stage. I detailed it here.

I know there are a pile of haters on Facebook who skewer Ola and Solar every chance they get, but so far, I've had better luck with their QC than any other company, aside from maybe Ibanez Soundgear basses. Pretty sure Drew can say the same. We also know a guy on another forum who has gone through dozens of Solars (he was buying them direct in the early days then selling them here in the US) and never heard him complain either.

Edit to add: I forgot my bass did need some lube on the tuning keys when I first got it. Took me all of 3 minutes to do and Solar sent me a free tee shirt for the "hassle". 🤣
That's my concern too. I can keep up just fine but showing someone else just sucks. Ola is awesome and I do have faith in the brand.

Last edited:
Back