So I managed to brick one of my Spider Valves last night..

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
At least in the DSP sense. I was messing around in Spider Valve edit and closed it out then launched it again and it told me I didn't have a compatible firmware or something so I thought I'd fire up Monkey and re-do the infusion 2.0 update and the process crashed at the "ready to update" portion.

Spent a good hour re-installing stuff and trying different USB ports, installing various builds from file and such and finally gave up. I mean I only use it as a 2x12 tube powered amp for my Helix and it still works good for that so it's no big loss but it still sticks in my craw that I couldn't fix it. I may grab a new DSP board for it when they are actually sourceable some day (full compass carries them but are out of stock) but for now I am stuck using a bricked SV MKII.

I still can't overstate how perfect these things are as tube powered amps for modelers.

Dang man. Sounds like you’ve covered the bases already, but might still be worth trying on a completely different computer if you have access to one. With all of Windows’ forced updates, it becomes harder and harder to know when issues are with hardware or some recently-created incompatibility.

Dang man. Sounds like you’ve covered the bases already, but might still be worth trying on a completely different computer if you have access to one. With all of Windows’ forced updates, it becomes harder and harder to know when issues are with hardware or some recently-created incompatibility.

Yeah good idea. It's worth a shot. I have a few PC's and laptops in the house that are candidates.

Yeah good idea. It's worth a shot. I have a few PC's and laptops in the house that are candidates.
Use a different USB cable too. It’s not all that uncommon for their contacts to get worn, dirty or oxidized just enough to make them sorta work until it counts.

Use a different USB cable too. It’s not all that uncommon for their contacts to get worn, dirty or oxidized just enough to make them sorta work until it counts.

That part I am stuck with because it's one of those USB>MIDI thingamajigs I have to use. The SV's did not have USB. I did also try using my FBV MKII Shortboard which deos have USB and actually how Line 6 advises you update the firmware but that failed too. I did not try a different USB cable with that though.

Back