Power amp shootout for my Helix LT (sorry no audio or video)

I'm contemplating a PRS MT15 for this very purpose. Probably won't have the oomph of my 5153 50 6L6, but saves my back some wear and tear on load in and load out. theoretically...

So over the last few weeks I have been trying 3 different amps (one of them much longer than 2 weeks) to find the best candidate for running into the return or power amp in for the hybrid rig I use for gigs and rehearsals, and there is a clear winner even though it's not the one I wanted to win LOL.

The amps I tested at gigs and rehearsals are

Newly acquired Katana MKII head through either a 2x12 of V30's or a 4x12 of V30's and G12T-75's in 100w mode
Newly acquired Marshall DSL40c combo through those same cabs and by itself with stock speaker or V30.
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 MKII by itself (2x V30's) and also into the V30 2x12 with all 4 speakers going

Spider Valve was a clear winner.

Clarity, thump, dynamics, you name it the thing just smoked the other 2. By itself with it's stock V30's it just plain rocked and all it did adding another 2x12 of V30's was add more thump and chunk. I didnt bother running it into the 4x12 because that's just not something I'd run at a gig. Believe it or not the Katana was the runner up in this use case. I may switch between the two for gigs because the Katana is definitely a good amp for this application. The DSL40c (gonna sound crazy I know) only really shined with Marshall type amp blocks. One thing I will say is that it made the 2204 Mod amp block sound and feel way better than it ever has through anything else. However I have really become attached to the Mark and Recto amps in Helix LT now that I am the only guitarist in every band I am in. Just so much fatter and carries the band better with just the 1 guitar, running those through the DSL40c took away the fatness even when cranking the resonance knob. Big surprise again the 6L6 loaded amp sounded way better for the Mesa amp blocks than the Marshall or Katana.

I intend to do the same testing with my newly acquired Headrush MX5 but I bought that mostly for one bass player friend to go direct. I have dubbed around with it a little into the Katana but nothing else yet.

I dont think there's any special sauce about the Spider Valve that makes it so good for this application so I may try to find a 6L6 powered head sometime soon for running the Helix LT to the return or power amp in. I really think it's just matching the typical power tube compliment of the modeled amps because the EL34 powered Marshall performed better than the Spider Valve with Marshall amp blocks and vice versa for Mesa stuff. I know Mesa stuff can run EL34's too but TBH I have never had one that sounded as good with EL34's as it did with 6L6's or 5881's. Might hunt for one of those Mesa rack power amps like the 2/90 or similar.

Bottom line is when I play I am grinning ear to ear it sounds and feels so good. At the risk of sounding selfish, I think I also enjoy being the only guitar player in a band a lot more than being in a 2 guitar band. I feel much freer and more in control of the overall sound of the band.

Try a Mesa 2:90 sometime....crazy good sounding power amp. Probably the best sounding one I've ever owned. And it's only 35 lbs.

Don’t sleep on the TC BAM200. It’s advertised as a bass amp, but it’s perfect for guitar modelers. It’s under $200, and when you set the Bass and Treble knobs to 10 o’clock and the mid knob to 3 o’clock, it’s completely flat. You’re getting a Duncan Powerstage for $160. It’s amazing for the price and it’s tiny.

We had a long thread about it over at TGP a while back:

Don’t sleep on the TC BAM200. It’s advertised as a bass amp, but it’s perfect for guitar modelers. It’s under $200, and when you set the Bass and Treble knobs to 10 o’clock and the mid knob to 3 o’clock, it’s completely flat. You’re getting a Duncan Powerstage for $160. It’s amazing for the price and it’s tiny.

We had a long thread about it over at TGP a while back:

I've been following that thread for ages and have considered the BAM200 a number of times. But multiple BAM200 owners are experiencing overheating and failures now... which puts me off.

Great price, but there's still a cost / con in the longevity of the device?

I've been following that thread for ages and have considered the BAM200 a number of times. But multiple BAM200 owners are experiencing overheating and failures now... which puts me off.

Great price, but there's still a cost / con in the longevity of the device?
It's possible. I've owned two and had no problems. To my understanding, it's the same type of ICE board that's used in the PS170 models, you can review and buy the power amp board by itself through ICE Power (link) and build out a cheap power amp yourself as well.

There is a small vent on the top as well, and it's possible some people are covering it and it's causing the overheat, but IDK. Mine works fine so YMMV for sure.

It's possible. I've owned two and had no problems. To my understanding, it's the same type of ICE board that's used in the PS170 models, you can review and buy the power amp board by itself through ICE Power (link) and build out a cheap power amp yourself as well.

There is a small vent on the top as well, and it's possible some people are covering it and it's causing the overheat, but IDK. Mine works fine so YMMV for sure.

I may be wrong about this, but IIRC from the time that I looked into it: I think the board is TC Electronic's own design and when I've viewed gut shots, it doesn't look like the other B&O ICEpower boards that I've seen. Not trying to be negative or argue with you - just not sure if that's really the case and only trying to get to the bottom of things.

I may be wrong about this, but IIRC from the time that I looked into it: I think the board is TC Electronic's own design and when I've viewed gut shots, it doesn't look like the other B&O ICEpower boards that I've seen. Not trying to be negative or argue with you - just not sure if that's really the case and only trying to get to the bottom of things.
You may be right, I haven't opened mine up, but I remembered reading about it online.

You may be right, I haven't opened mine up, but I remembered reading about it online.

No worries. Again, not wanting to be argumentative - only offering respectful discussion.

I don't own either unit, but I became a little obsessed with these things last year (BAM200 and various flavours of Powerstage / ICEpower) to the point of looking into buying an ICEpower module myself and putting one together.

One of the reasons that the SD170 is so chunky and tall is that the ICEpower 50ASX2BTL is so tall, whilst the BAM200, much more less so.

I'm glad that you're enjoying your BAM200 anyway; and it's great to hear that you've had no issues. I may still take the plunge one day.

I'm also wondering if the BAM200 it's any better than my lower-powered H&K StompMan that I'm using to power my FM3 🤔. The StompMan is _very_ flat when used in neutral mode.

I do suffer from power amp envy though. haha.

BAM200 and SD170 guts shot attached. Second photo is @Boudoir Guitar 's from a TGP thread. He can probably comment more usefully!

Attachments

• bam200_guts.jpg
    bam200_guts.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 22
  • sd170_guts_icepower.jpeg
    sd170_guts_icepower.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back