SSD slowness over time - I learned my lesson - re-charging memory cells

dean701

Roadie
SSD slowness over time - I learned my lesson

Some of my SSD drives are starting to feel the effects of capacitive charge loss. They are just a capactive technology after all.
Have you had parts of your SSD drives seem unbearingly slow?
Back years ago with the inception of SSD drives, I was all in after noticing the speed benefits with transfers and load times. However, as we know, these drives are based on capacitive charge and I'm now starting to feel the impacts of this especially for those drives with databases that seldom get re-written or even accessed.

I went to backup a 5 year old 1TB SSD and it took over 42 hours. This drive was now very slow. Over time, the capacitors lose their charge and become difficult to read, relying on error correction mechanisms to determine the data. This is painstaking slow for data retrieval. The backup did finally complete successfully but it did make me more aware of the up keep for SSDs and the need for programs like Spinrite and Hard Drive Sentinel which have the capability of reading and re-writing the data to help recharge the drive blocks/cell memory.
For spots on the drives that are/were written to more frequently the speed was still pretty good for but for those regions where files are seldomly accessed I could get very slow read figures.

I ran HD Sentinel in surface read only mode and wow, the figures were mostly awful, hitting speeds as low as 0.3MB/s

1709041389535.png

After running HDSentinel via its r/w/r option, which is advertised as a non-destructive re-write, (It reads data from the disk at every memory cell location, re-writes the same data, and then re-reads it for verification.) I then performed a 2nd surface read and the numbers were so much better.

1709047192106.png

1709047217421.png

Finally, I ran the full backup again to compare completion times and it finished in about 4 hours as opposed to the original 42+ hours.
Now I just have to stay on top of things. Unfortunately I have about 20 SSDs to track.

I'm not going to get into the finer details of SSD build topologies or terms like 3D nand, tlc, mlc, ECC, DIF, cell bit depth or trash the names of certain manufacturers. The technology will hopefully evolve to a point where stability and longevity meet performance but it's certainly a case of me jumping in way too quickly and not knowing the capacitance factors

I wrote this simply for awareness as I found very little on this site that spoke to the subject and as many of us are now dependent on SSD drives and their speed I thought it would be useful to some. It was an eye opening experience for me to say the least. Some don't believe that this happens to SSD drives and/or think that by having drives simply powered up all of the time is enough. This is a real world example that shows otherwise as this particular drive is an internal secondary drive and was powered up continuously for the past 4+ years.

Last edited:
This is really interesting. I haven't dug too deep into the SSD technology. I know it is much faster and one of my laptops has an SSD in it. I had never heard of this issue or those programs but the way you explained it makes perfect sense to me.

My biggest grievance is that I have quite a few SSD drives that I used as backup drives. They sit around in drawers until i use them for another backup or restore. How long will they stay healthy or even readable? What a PITA that is to keep track of.

Fairy dust. Bad PC! :cool:
Not sure what you meant by your comment. Regardless, it's a real thing. I joined a few IT forums when I searched for the issue and that's where I got the recommendation of HD Sentinel.
I tried the struggling drive on four different PCs to the same result. It's very unfortunate but very real. In the end, at least for this particular drive, the re-writes of the data completely and dramatically restored the speed of the drive.

Last edited:
I have some pretty old 2.5" SSDs from Intel, Vertex etc that still work perfectly fine. While I have moved to 1/2 TB M.2 drives (mostly Samsung 980 Pro and 970 EVO models), I have some 2.5" 1 TB Samsung 850/840 EVO drives that show no signs of slowing down despite being used mainly as long-term storage.

SSDs are not built equal though so it's very possible some other drive models might degrade over time.

Very interesting. I'm gonna checkout that HD Sentinel thing today. I think one or two of my drives have slowed down over time too.

How does this all relate to the OS level TRIM commands that are meant to help with SSD longevity and performance?

I have some pretty old 2.5" SSDs from Intel, Vertex etc that still work perfectly fine. While I have moved to 1/2 TB M.2 drives (mostly Samsung 980 Pro and 970 EVO models), I have some 2.5" 1 TB Samsung 850/840 EVO drives that show no signs of slowing down despite being used mainly as long-term storage.

SSDs are not built equal though so it's very possible some other drive models might degrade over time.
It is dependent. Data center class drives sometimes have built in charging capabilities that allow them to last longer. Most consumer grade drives don't have it. Out of my 20 ssd drives I only have issues with a few so far. Due to the memory cell topology and design, the portions of the drives that are frequently written to are fine. It's the parts that don't that slow down. I have one where only certain parts have lost charge. That was fixed by Sentinel.
The only way to know is the check cell by cell. You might not even know until you test. The only reason I learned more about it was because of one backup that I was working on.

I have an m.2 wd 850sn that is already experiencing it.

Not here to debate or argue with anyone really, just to raise awareness.
Level1techs.com and superuser.com are great resources

Last edited:
Very interesting. I'm gonna checkout that HD Sentinel thing today. I think one or two of my drives have slowed down over time too.

How does this all relate to the OS level TRIM commands that are meant to help with SSD longevity and performance?
as far as I can explain it, the TRIM command is more for file system validation. It confirms which blocks are available for new data on the SSD.
This cell by cell check is more from the drive recovery inspection perspective where deep inspection is done on each cell of the hard drive regardless of the data that is on it.
When doing the read/write/re-write process, it looks at the data on each cell, erases it, re-writes it to help re-charge the cell memory and then does a re-read of that location.
When I did my original backup of the drive, it was still completely readable but the backup took 42+ hours. Despite the backup being successful, something wasn't right. The second backup took just over 3 hours in comparison after the drive maintenance occurred.
I have no affiliation with Hard Drive Sentinel, I'm sure there are other hard drive recovery tools out there that are perhaps better but it did work for me.

Last edited:
fyi - I heard about another tool called Diskfresh. It is capable of doing the read/write/read on a mounted OS drive. I ran it on my m.2 C drive.

Before:
1709705558831.png

Last edited:
Back