Small Full Range Monitor

jay mitchell

Roadie
Rather than continue OT in the Fender hiss-reduction thread, I decided to start a new one to reply to GZ.
Were these the “bookshelf” ones?
While I don't recall using that term, the speaker is in that size range.

I built a few prototypes more than six years ago and have used them steadily ever since.
At present, I have no plans to offer them for retail sale.
20231110_144319.jpg

Last edited:
Coaxial definitely helps me to enjoy the sound it delivers. I remember back in the day you mentioned your custom built monitor and I was hoping your involvement with Atomics CLR would have lead to a version of what you made for your own use. I‘m guessing the market is too niche to inspire a manufacturer to buy the rights and guidance to mass produce it though.

I remember back in the day you mentioned your custom built monitor and I was hoping your involvement with Atomics CLR would have lead to a version of what you made for your own use.
It's actually the opposite: my company has been manufacturing speakers of my design for more than 35 years, all of them coincident. When I bought my first modeler in 2006, there was no question what I would play it through: an active floor wedge of ours with an 8" woofer and 1" exit HF driver, both sections loaded by short horns. I had also prototyped a 12" version using the identical format but decided not to market it. That prototype became the CLR a few years later.
I‘m guessing the market is too niche to inspire a manufacturer to buy the rights and guidance to mass produce it though.
I wouldn't be interested; I don't consult for other speaker companies these days. FWIW, we're currently manufacturing 40 pieces of the same design as above (with a passive xover in a non-wedge enclosure) for a contractor to install in a large facility here in Texas. I've just received an order for powered wedges as well. We can manufacture speakers in significant quantities, so that's not a barrier. My customer base consists entirely of systems integrators and audio contractors. I'm not set up for, nor am I interested in, selling to retail buyers.

Last edited:
Rather than continue OT in the Fender hiss-reduction thread, I deecided to start a new one to reply to GZ.

While I don't recall using that term, the speaker is in that size range.

I built a few prototypes more than six years ago and have used them steadily ever since.
At present, I have no plans to offer them for retail sale.
View attachment 13566
Do I see a 'Mitchell Donut' - or is that just a very small woofer?

I've just received an order for powered wedges as well.
Is it possible for someone to piggyback on top of one of those orders for a set of two? Or how many have to be ordered for a run? And importantly the price factor if doable? If you want to respond I can also take your response via pm if this is information you don’t want to share publicly.

Last edited:
Back