Sidekick HX Stomp - When did this happen??

I just sold my Stomp.
losing robin williams GIF

I hadn't heard of this before - a simple 2 switch add-on for HX Stomp with suitable form-factor and LED rings. (Though I doubt they change colors, and I don't understand what the copy means where it says, "red and blue LED light ring indicators ensure that you always know which mode you're in".) Significant price premium over a Moskey dual switch or whatever, but very cool - I'm considering picking one up:

Reminds me of the similar 3rd-party footswitch extension available for the FM3.

I have one of those. Mine is named different though. It's called an FS-7

I have one of those. Mine is named different though. It's called an FS-7
It took me a while to realize this was a joke. Yeah, the Boss FS7, or even a simple Moskey Dual Switch (or equivalent) for ~$25 will do the trick.

I don't like the FS-7. Weird feeling Boss switches and vertical alignment are not my thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a simple 2 switch add-on for HX Stomp with suitable form-factor and LED rings.

It's a rip-off of the highest magnitude. Any 2-button footswitch with LEDs will do just as well.
In addition, as these are latched switches, you will likely have to set them up as EXP pedals (switches for the Stomp really only work well in case they're momentary), which is possible but a) complicating the process, plus b) it's bugridden. I can't tell you why that is, in identical patches, the one latched switch I have connected sometimes just doesn't work. Even worse, it sometimes stops to work completely out of the blue (and no, it's not related to wonky hardware, I checked with multiple switches).

Now, you can of course as well connect them as plain switches, but as the Stomp's external switch modes don't have a feature such as "active sensing" (that's what it's usually called in keyboard land), as in checking whether the switch is on or off, that will only lead to huge confusion as in turning your switch/LED assignments upside down in case you switch patches at the wrong moment.
Example: You'd control, say, a simple drive block via switch 4. This will be working fine. You will as well be able to setthe bypass status in a way it's mirrored on the switch (on = LED on, off = LED off). Now let's say you save that patch with the drive switched on (hence the footswitch will be in "on" mode, too). Now select another patch and let's say you're using the switch to control a drive again. The last thing you might do when using this patch would be to switch the drive off. Now you may go back to your previous patch - which was saved with the drive on. But the footswitch will remain in its off-position (obviously, as it's a latch type). And the stomp will also *not* check the position of that switch. Bummer.

Hence, your only option would be to use it as an EXP. But then - well, see first paragraph.

And yes, all that is a pity because I'd actually *love* to have two external latching switches with active sensing because that'd also mean their settings would be valid globally (which, the way I'm using the Stomp, would make a lot of sense).

It's a rip-off of the highest magnitude. Any 2-button footswitch with LEDs will do just as well.
In addition, as these are latched switches, you will likely have to set them up as EXP pedals (switches for the Stomp really only work well in case they're momentary), which is possible but a) complicating the process, plus b) it's bugridden. I can't tell you why that is, in identical patches, the one latched switch I have connected sometimes just doesn't work. Even worse, it sometimes stops to work completely out of the blue (and no, it's not related to wonky hardware, I checked with multiple switches).

Now, you can of course as well connect them as plain switches, but as the Stomp's external switch modes don't have a feature such as "active sensing" (that's what it's usually called in keyboard land), as in checking whether the switch is on or off, that will only lead to huge confusion as in turning your switch/LED assignments upside down in case you switch patches at the wrong moment.
Example: You'd control, say, a simple drive block via switch 4. This will be working fine. You will as well be able to setthe bypass status in a way it's mirrored on the switch (on = LED on, off = LED off). Now let's say you save that patch with the drive switched on (hence the footswitch will be in "on" mode, too). Now select another patch and let's say you're using the switch to control a drive again. The last thing you might do when using this patch would be to switch the drive off. Now you may go back to your previous patch - which was saved with the drive on. But the footswitch will remain in its off-position (obviously, as it's a latch type). And the stomp will also *not* check the position of that switch. Bummer.

Hence, your only option would be to use it as an EXP. But then - well, see first paragraph.

And yes, all that is a pity because I'd actually *love* to have two external latching switches with active sensing because that'd also mean their settings would be valid globally (which, the way I'm using the Stomp, would make a lot of sense).
Good feedback - thanks. I'd already pretty well talked myself out of this. I started to think that I'd do better selling my Stomp and throwing that additional $75 toward acquiring an XL. Then I remembered that I like how small the OG Stomp is - for instance, when I want it velcro'd in the back of a combo or whatever. I think what I really need, as usual, is a good MIDI footcontroller for my HX Stomp. For that matter, I wouldn't mind having a better footcontroller for my QC.

On that note:

Last edited:
I mean 95k for someone straight out of Tech School holding an MCSE was a bit high but I wasn't gonna b*tch.
Jesus, Dude. I came out of college with a BSEE, and was thrilled to get my first "real job" at ~$30K.

97e6a86d-8ca1-45af-b945-6d9d2cca711b_text.gif

Back