Show me your #1 and tell me why

The Liz Taylor soft focus shot. :grin

20231204_114117.jpg

well the cruiser is very balanced imo.

Does it do funky cleans well enough? Don't need super authentic Nile Rodgers, but a tad more quack than from the Fender Noiseless gen 2 (which I'm using right now on the guitar in question) would be great.

People were smart and wise enough to ruin and bastardize vintage Strats in the 80's and 90's, so let's memorialize that nonsense.

:facepalm

:rofl

Sorry. Not sorry. :beer

Go tell EJ he bastardized his ‘54 Strats with med/jumbo frets and a 12” radius. :rofl

FWIW, I personally wouldn’t fuck with any pre-70’s Strat as far as modding goes. 70’s? Eh…I wouldn’t do it to a mint 70’s Strat, but a player grade one that I’m going to re-radius and shit anyway? Fuck yeah. I think the only thing favorable about 70’s Strats at this point is the age, because it certainly wasn’t the specs then or now!

Ugh, 70s Fender was a terrible time and the depths of how bad the CBS sale ultimately was. Things got better in the 80s though. (y)

1701723934061.png

Go tell EJ he bastardized his ‘54 Strats with med/jumbo frets and a 12” radius. :rofl

FWIW, I personally wouldn’t fuck with any pre-70’s Strat as far as modding goes. 70’s? Eh…I wouldn’t do it to a mint 70’s Strat, but a player grade one that I’m going to re-radius and shit anyway? Fuck yeah. I think the only thing favorable about 70’s Strats at this point is the age, because it certainly wasn’t the specs then or now!

I know you know that I honestly don't give a fuck what people do with their guitars.
I just thought it was a funny reply, and more than a little accurate and true. :beer

Between Floyds and Kahlers routed onto Les
Paul Customs, and Strats being hacked to pieces to accommodate a trendy movement,
to Marshalls being turned into non-Marshall sounding Free Da Mans there was a lot
of nonsense from a traditional perspective. A lot of nonsense. Some of it genius nonsense.

Fuck, if not for Eddie----there would not have been any of that stuff to see the light of day.

Thank goodness for Eddie, though----he single-handedly helped ruin so many great instruments
and amps! :LOL:

Revolution is never pretty, and there are always casualties along the way.

Can I add that Leo Fender and George Fullerton also thought that G & L Guitars and their
designs and parts were superior to anything Fender ever produced.

Even geniuses can be wrong. Really wrong! :hmm

Can I add that Leo Fender and George Fullerton also thought that G & L Guitars and their
designs and parts were superior to anything Fender ever produced.

Even geniuses can be wrong. Really wrong! :hmm

Leo didn't play guitar -- how the hell would he know what was better or worse? :crazy

Confession: I owned a White Gibson Les Paul Custom with a Kahler on it in the 80s.
I bought one of the a Fender Contemporary Strat with the locking trem and HSS
Config when they first came out.

And those guitars posted in this thread are cool AF. I just never thought I would see a CS
Fender like that. I'd also probably sneeze and have a testicle fall off if I saw the pricetag. :LOL:

Does it do funky cleans well enough? Don't need super authentic Nile Rodgers, but a tad more quack than from the Fender Noiseless gen 2 (which I'm using right now on the guitar in question) would be great.
It definitely quacks enough. This particular guitar just has a 3-way so no in between sounds, but the middle position does get that nice, funky twang you'd expect. I had another strat set up with cruisers and a 5-way and the 2 and 4 positions do quack really well. Less glassy than true singles, but in some ways I prefer that.

I had another strat set up with cruisers and a 5-way and the 2 and 4 positions do quack really well.

I actually never use the inbetween positions (well, I do, but mainly between neck and bridge). I rather want the pickup to quack a little on its own. Doesn't need to be too authentic - and as you, I sometimes even prefer less glassy shine or whatever, especially once there's any kind of dirt involved.

Back