Show me your #1 and tell me why

Is the neck on the Govan the standard Charvel neck?
It's similar in shape to the MIM Charvels' speed neck profile, but this one is thicker at about 0.80" (most MIM charvels I've encountered are around 0.76-0.77"ish). The DK24 on the left is the same as the GG, about 0.80". I cherry-picked them at Wildwood and Sweetwater. Plus the GG has slightly taller fretwire than Charvels.

Between Floyds and Kahlers routed onto Les Paul Customs,

:barf:barf:barf:barf:barf:barf

I bet that Silverburst with the Kahler is still on Reverb.

Fuck, if not for Eddie----there would not have been any of that stuff to see the light of day.

Thank goodness for Eddie, though----he single-handedly helped ruin so many great instruments
and amps! :LOL:

Revolution is never pretty, and there are always casualties along the way.

Even Ed himself admitted he ruined that Explorer- never sounded right after he took that big chunk out of it!

Another take on no 1
IMG_1419.jpeg

:barf:barf:barf:barf:barf:barf

I bet that Silverburst with the Kahler is still on Reverb.

Even Ed himself admitted he ruined that Explorer- never sounded right after he took that big chunk out of it!

I think it is insane that EVH/Fender put that Shark guitar out when Ed hated it.

Why not do an Explorer/Destroyer style? The inevitable lawsuit from Gibson would be an hoot!

Cagematch! :LOL:

Probably the closest to my #1. It seems to get the most playtime and I've used it on countless recordings over the last 10+ yrs.

My ST300C

240392736_10157725662966511_7782950324753417317_n.jpg

The last two weeks it’s been the Orville.
IMG_3243.jpeg

I’ve been in love with the sound of this one since I put the Aldrich in the bridge, but the tiny frets have kept is as a “I love the way it sounds, don’t really dig how it plays” guitar until last week when I dropped it down a step and put 10-52’s on it. I didn’t adjust a single thing with the setup and it just plays GREAT, despite the tiny frets. I’m still going to have it re-fretted at some point.

I can hit pinch harmonics from across the room just looking at it and it just has this sound that none of my other guitars do. The Aldrich is high output but doesn’t slam an amp so hard it over saturates, it’s that perfect balance of “Here’s some juice for sustain but not enough to turn everything into a wall of bees” The neck pickup is stock and not balanced with the bridge at all, it’s like going from 1988 on the bridge to 1957 on the neck and I don’t mind it. The in-between position, I dunno if I screwed up wiring the pickup in (likely), but it almost sounds like there’s a wah pedal or phaser in the middle position.

There’s definitely something loose or broken in the bridge volume pot, I have to whack it a couple times to get the full output, but I’m scared to change anything because I love the way this sounds so damn much! :rofl

IMG_7110.jpeg

It’s been my #1 pretty much since I got it. Not too light, not too heavy, perfectly shaped neck with a satin finish, ebony fretboard, great sounding pickups, locking tuners, etc. there’s not one thing I don’t like about this guitar.

The only thing it was missing was SS frets, (it’s a 2020 model), so I had it refretted with SS frets.

:chef

This actually made me laugh out loud.

I have to give credit to a former bass player for that; I was singing in a band and it was the first time I was in a band with someone who owned a LP Custom with EMG’s and I’d just go nuts on it before and after practice, living out all my Wylde fantasies. We were writing a tune with a pinch harmonic in the riff and the guitarist kept missing it and was getting frustrated. Like good New England boys do, the bass player offered him support by saying “What’s your fucking problem? Drew can hit that from across the room” :rofl

Actually, that same guitar player owns the twin sister to that Orville. After I got mine last year I was raving about it, one popped up local to him and he snagged it.

1702662833304.jpeg

Not sure if I put this in here already or not. But this is my main guitar; MIJ Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom, from 1991. I've replaced the bridge with a Tonepro's locking bridge, and the tuners I've replaced with GOTOH's. The pickups are a pair of Duncan Distortions.

Numbers 2 and 1 respectively. They both play and sound amazing. Bridge is blocked and has a D-Tuna on the Charvel, also push-pull coil tap on the volume. Bridge is floating on the Ibanez. Hopefully not too much dog slobber on them :p

Hmm, photo is a bit blurry and the lighting sucks. Lol. Sounds like describing my brain today...

:D
img0000.jpg

Numbers 2 and 1 respectively. They both play and sound amazing. Bridge is blocked and has a D-Tuna on the Charvel, also push-pull coil tap on the volume. Bridge is floating on the Ibanez. Hopefully not too much dog slobber on them :p

Hmm, photo is a bit blurry and the lighting sucks. Lol. Sounds like describing my brain today...

:DView attachment 15807
That Ibanez with the maple neck is :chef.

That Ibanez with the maple neck is :chef.
Thanks! It is an incredible guitar for the money. I swapped the Tonezone out for a Dreamcatcher. TZ was a bit muddy for my liking, even in an ash body. The neck is really highly figured, and has the oil finished back - silky smooth.

Back