Or would it be sacrilegious :grin

Attachments

• IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    747.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    537.8 KB · Views: 79
SG with a Floyd seems like a bad combination. Or a good one, if you factor in increased tuning stability of having a locking nut? Tonal change would concern me if nothing else. I LOVE the finish on this \m/

I've been interested in the FRX since it was released. In the threads I've read on various forums, owners have reported they really didn't sense a tonal change, which surprised the hell out of me. I would install the bridge first, without the lock nut, because the bridge installation is perfectly reversible. Just put it in and listen to the tone. If it's still sounding good, make those two little screw holes in the headstock and go to town!

Best of luck!

Reactions: Axe
I’d say go for it!

It’s not like it’s some priceless irreplaceable antique specimen that you’re desecrating.

It’s your guitar and you should do whatever makes it work for you.

Experimentation is fun

There's a story behind this SG. I think I've had the FRX longer than the SG. Just sitting it the box.

I sold the SG on the other place early last year and Fedex managed to snap it not at the neck head stock joint where Gibsons alway snap. They managed to snap the head stock despite it being in it's case and packaged (Double boxed) exactly as the vendor I purchased it from shipped it to me...

I reimbursed the buyer and paid to have it shipped back to me. That's what a Fedex rep told me to do,"have it shipped back to me".. That is another story..

Anyhow, I'm lucky to have a friend who is an excellent Luthier. Certified by Gibson and just about every other major builder. He had a shop in the local Sam Ash for yrs. He works on my stuff out of his house now. He repaired the break, put a new headstock laminate, had a booger of a time getting the Pelham Blue paint from Gibson and after months I got her back.

You cannot tell by looking at it that it had been damaged, and I think it actually sounds better now. I had him drop a new wiring harness and SD pups in it while he had it. But now, I can't sell it. Well, I could but I'm not wired that way. I'd have to give full disclosure to any potential buyer , so that renders this instrument worth considerably less than what I paid for it and what I had sold it for.. Still has the stickers on it. That's how mint it was when I sold it... And that's the story that made this SG a candidate for the FRX :(

Last edited:
I've been interested in the FRX since it was released. In the threads I've read on various forums, owners have reported they really didn't sense a tonal change, which surprised the hell out of me. I would install the bridge first, without the lock nut, because the bridge installation is perfectly reversible. Just put it in and listen to the tone. If it's still sounding good, make those two little screw holes in the headstock and go to town!

Best of luck!

The SG has locking tuners. I'm not going to drill the headstock to install the lock nut.

The only reason not too would be complications with the nut fit. It is a reversible mod but I would not recommend deepening the nut slot.

The install is a bit tedious but not bad.. It's not like a floating FR.. Those I've been dealing with for as long as they have been around.. This is a different animal and just not for me. There is a catch between diving and pulling back that just bugged the shit out of me. I set it to dive only and just didn't care for that either.. Just not my cup o tea I guess..

Now on to my next bad idea.. Getting back on the drums after 30+ yrs :rimshot

Back