Should I upgrade my audio interface?

Should I upgrade my audio interface?

• Scarlett 2i2 is fine save your money

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • There are considerably better interfaces, what are you waiting on?

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I’m a degenerate, so I only vote yes because it involves buying new gear

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
I wouldn't buy an UA Apollo. While they are good, they are getting extremely long in the tooth now and you pay a lot for the built-in processing.
If you want best possible in a simple package there's this little fella: :)

New guitar/amp/modeler or interface :unsure: :idk

:ROFLMAO:

New guitar/amp/modeler or interface :unsure: :idk

evil-smile-jack-nicholson.gif

OK, brothers… My limited experience is probably useless here… However, I do use the axefx3 as my interface.

Sounds great, plug n play on Apple, but it’s limited… No microphone pre’s or anything like that. But I don’t sing and I don’t mic cabinets.

Difficult to mix/separate where you sending a signal i.e. headphone speakers whatever… I do have work arounds.

However, I don’t plan to change anything until I need more, which is not now.

Actually, just get 2 new guitars.

Pick up a Suhr Strat Shape with specs you think you'd like, and a Tom Anderson Bent/Drop top, and then have a battle which one stays. From a dealer that allows at least 14 day no questions asked returns. Take a few days off work. WIN/WIN.

I mean what's $7-$10K between friends?

Last edited:
If you don't use the instrument input often (or have a dedicated DI for the input) and if you don't necessarily need lower latencies, I don't see any reason to switch as long as it's running stable.
There's professional recordings made with way less worthy op amps and converters, and before you notice a difference anyway, you'd have to have excellent monitors in a treated room or top notch headphones. And even in that case, the Scarlett might still do fine.

Get an RME Babyface. They're solid. Or an Antelope Discrete 4, if you only need 4 ins simultaneously.

It usually comes down to drivers or number of inputs/facilities. As a massively distant third place, some will claim there are differences in sound quality, but they are nearly non-existent in most cases

Most interfaces share the same driver, so no matter how much marketing drivel, you really aren't gaining there (unless you go RME)

So really, most of the time I wouldn't bother unless you are out of inputs or need way better driver performance

what monitors are you using?

what mic pre’s do you have?

what about room treatment?

I think at a certain point it’s totally worth upgrading your interface. The cheap entry level stuff is really good these days and certainly won’t hold anyone back, but that’s not to say that higher end stuff isn’t good. As with many things, you can spend several times more for a small improvement.

Honestly though; there’s probably more fun and more beneficial ways for you to spend money than upgrading your interface (monitors, room treatment, mics, guitars, preamps etc). If you’re determined, just go with a Lynx Hilo or Prism Lyra and never worry about it again :)

OK, brothers… My limited experience is probably useless here… However, I do use the axefx3 as my interface.

Sounds great, plug n play on Apple, but it’s limited… No microphone pre’s or anything like that. But I don’t sing and I don’t mic cabinets.

Difficult to mix/separate where you sending a signal i.e. headphone speakers whatever… I do have work arounds.

However, I don’t plan to change anything until I need more, which is not now.
Yeah these sort of issues are common on pretty much all modelers when used as audio interfaces. There's also no quick access to control e.g different digital levels and have to do all that via Axe-Edit or using a DAW. I'd love to use the Axe-Fx 3 as my audio interface but for everyday use it's just more convenient to use a dedicated one.

I really wish Fractal had not dropped a bunch of useful dedicated buttons from the front panel. Easy access to Global and I/O settings were useful on the Axe-Fx 2. They have just provided no replacement for those considering you can't configure the Home view under display button click features or have more options on the big wheel click.

I sometimes use a JBL MPatch 2 with my Fractal stuff when using as an interface. It helps have independent control over headphones and monitors.

Not sure TBH. It’s a little over two years old.
I‘m asking because only the 3rd gen 2i2 has dedicated drivers for macOS. The first two generations run class compliant, which means they are using the generic audio device driver of macOS. Unfortunately class compliant audio interfaces usually don‘t perform as efficiently and fast (latency) than interfaces with dedicated drivers.

So if you are running a class compliant interface I would actually recommend to buy one with dedicated drivers. Good drivers are the key to great audio performance, that‘s why I recommended the RME Babyface Pro FS. RME are known for offering some of the (if not the) best drivers, and they support their interfaces for a looong time. Buy nice or buy twice ;)

Last edited:
Back