s**t that changed your musical direction

In my early twenties the band I was in were hugely influenced by Tool. We were all about the the odd time sigs and big delayed clean sections. Then one day after reading an article in Guitar World about Opeth’s latest releases Deliverance and Damnation, I decided to check out Deliverance. Holy shit, my mind was blown. Then I went back an album to Blackwater Park.

I didn’t think I could be blown away anymore but low and behold it happened. I was completely blown away by the brutal heaviness, folky cleans and the fact that they were doing this all in pretty much standard tuning. It was definitely then that I learned that the riff is what makes the song heavy not tuning down 4-5 steps.

I played it for my singer and although he could appreciate it, he wasn’t quite floored by it like I was. A couple months later we saw Opeth live at the first Sounds of the Underground tour and then it all clicked for him. After that everything we wrote was a mix of Tool and Opeth. I remember at one of our earlier shows, guy doing the booking for the bar dubbed us Progressive Philosophy Metal. We loved and we completely took it and ran with it.

You guys seem to be very young

None of these existed when my older sister came with this cassette:

View attachment 1191
And we listened to it in a player/recorder that was exactly like this one:
View attachment 1192
That did set the compass in the right direction. After that, I never wanted to listen again the Boney M records of my uncle.

And few years later...
View attachment 1195

For a chap as old as me, those two albums were released Christmas '72 and then the following Easter '73 MiJ was first. DSotM was the album that replaced MiJ on the turntable.

Going from a kid to now a 45 year old, I guess in some kind of chronological order, these are the bands that made me turn a corner and change my playing.

U2
Def Leppard
Cure
Police
Stryper
Faith No More
Tourniquet
Metallica
Life of Agony
Sepultura
Pantera
Pumpkins/Pearl Jam/STP
Primus
XTC
Blondie
Pixies
Souixie/Magazine/Wire/Buzzcocks
Helmet
RATM
Megadeth
Slayer
Quicksand
Rival Schools
Hum
Failure
Far
Tool
Deftones
Meshuggah
Gojira
Ghost

+ a shit-tone of random 90’s Australian college/uni bands and hip hop from the 80’s to late 90’s.

I’m pretty much a mix of all of that.

Going from a kid to now a 45 year old, I guess in some kind of chronological order, these are the bands that made me turn a corner and change my playing.

U2
Def Leppard
Cure
Police
Stryper
Faith No More
Tourniquet
Metallica
Life of Agony
Sepultura
Pantera
Pumpkins/Pearl Jam/STP
Primus
XTC
Blondie
Pixies
Helmet
RATM
Megadeth
Slayer
Quicksand
Rival Schools
Hum
Failure
Far
Tool
Deftones
Meshuggah
Gojira
Ghost

+ a s**t-tone of random 90’s Australian college/uni bands and hip hop from the 80’s to late 90’s.

Out of these 31 there are 19 that I've only heard the name but not the music, and 14 that not even the name is familiar 😅

I'll be 57 this December. I guess I've never been much of a radio listener

DSOTM- first CD I bought, the same day I bought my Technics stereo with CD player! That was a big milestone too. :grin

I wondered why the beginning of the DSOTM tape had a long blank at the beginning. I thought it was defective. Several years later, when I first listened it on on a Stereo HI-Fi player and I heard these heartbeats before the scream ... that was a revelation! And all the nuances that I could not hear on that portable cassette 🤯

Last edited:
Out of these 31 there are 19 that I've only heard the name but not the music, and 14 that not even the name is familiar 😅

I'll be 57 this December. I guess I've never been much of a radio listener

Actually, the majority of those bands you wouldn’t hear on regular FM radio, satellite for sure but not the mainstream radio. The only band I didn’t recognize was Rival Schools.

U2
Def Leppard
Cure
Police
Stryper
Faith No More
Tourniquet
Metallica
Life of Agony
Sepultura
Pantera
Pumpkins/Pearl Jam/STP
Primus
XTC
Blondie
Pixies
Helmet
RATM
Megadeth
Slayer
Quicksand
Rival Schools
Hum
Failure
Far
Tool
Deftones
Meshuggah
Gojira
Ghost

+ a s**t-tone of random 90’s Australian college/uni bands and hip hop from the 80’s to late 90’s.

You’re the first person outside of my best friend who I’ve seen mention Hum and Far at the same time. Just Saturday night I downloaded Far’s cover of “Pony” because there are times in life when that song is perfect.

642A0ACB-9744-4D52-996E-E106BD030351.jpg

Actually, the majority of those bands you wouldn’t hear on regular FM radio, satellite for sure but not the mainstream radio. The only band I didn’t recognize was Rival Schools.

You’re the first person outside of my best friend who I’ve seen mention Hum and Far at the same time. Just Saturday night I downloaded Far’s cover of “Pony” because there are times in life when that song is perfect.

View attachment 1384

Love that band. I gave Water and Solutions and absolute thrashing back in the day, killer album!

Back