Rival Sons' Scott Holiday on going full Helix

^^ .... nothing like a bit of damning praise followed up by a slap across the face with a wet fish ;)

Ben
Help Me Im Poor Kristen Wiig GIF

100%. Once you add the cab back into the equation you reach the point of no meaningful difference in the room.
*Unless you are using Helix Marshall tones.

I’m getting to the point where I agree though. About a month back I did some “in the room” testing with my SFDR, 1959, and Mark III against the closest corresponding Helix models. I wanted to see whether I could realistically approach the tones I use from those physical amps with the Helix through a BAM200 and into my go-to guitar cab. I generally just go direct at gigs these days but flirt with the idea of splitting the signal out to a guitar cab on stage for personal monitoring.

Anyway, got SCARY close with Hx deluxe reverb against my SFDR. If I had taken the BAM into the deluxe’s cab it may not have been possible to pick up the difference tonally. The Hx Mark IV sounded great but for sure is a bit different than my Mark III through the same cab, I think because of the Hx Mark IV is using a slightly unusual switch/pull knob configuration that makes it a little odd. Still felt like an amp though. I couldn’t get anything dialed in that got close to my 1959 though, but Hx doesn’t really get the job done there so it’s a tough task from the start.

Taking a modeler into a guitar cab is for sure getting better results now than ever before. It’s pretty incredible.

I dont think this Forum is Helix is better or Fractal is better, we all like what we use no matter what we prefer
It’s one of the things I really like about this forum. I see people apply effort to keep conversations constructive. We talk A LOT about how best to make things work, and there’s a general focus on USEFULNESS.

People trying to bring the tribalism here should promptly fuck all the way off.

Weird how this forum seems to slowly becoming the Line 6 forum 3.0. :rofl
Well since the poor outnumber the rich and the Helix is obviously the poor man’s Fractal and outsells other modelers, it would be safe to assume talk about the Helix is going to infiltrate this “safe space”. It’ll be ok though…. just think warm thoughts about the new “game changer” firmware coming. :p

Last edited:
I've only had the Helix for a month, been a tube amp guy for 30+ yrs with a few random ss thrown in there... I've yet to try the HX in a live band setting with external cabs though. For recording I think it kills so far. I find it hard to imagine there is another option out there that 'sounds' better. I'm not surprised more and more noted players are using it live. Dialing in your tone doesn't change, once you get something that works doesn't matter if it's fractal, helix, pignose, whatever -- you just know you like it.

I've only had the Helix for a month, been a tube amp guy for 30+ yrs with a few random ss thrown in there... I've yet to try the HX in a live band setting with external cabs though. For recording I think it kills so far. I find it hard to imagine there is another option out there that 'sounds' better. I'm not surprised more and more noted players are using it live. Dialing in your tone doesn't change, once you get something that works doesn't matter if it's fractal, helix, pignose, whatever -- you just know you like it.
Congrats on your new Helix!

I've only had the Helix for a month

Sweet baby Jebus! Hope you can recover!

money-wallet.gif

Congrats :LOL: Helix is an amazing piece of gear.

So is Fractal, btw, though i don't know if anyone here ever argued otherwise. I went through pretty much all modelling platforms before landing on HX myself, and this had less to do with sound quality issues than workflow and usability. I hated editing patches on my FM3, but boooy, did that thing sound incredible...

Back