Rival Sons' Scott Holiday on going full Helix

Lysander

Shredder

The interesting bit starts at 20:10.

Basically he switched to a Helix + SS amp + guitar cabs setup after A/B-ing this "flyrig" with his tube amps, and being unable to tell the difference anymore.

Bonus point for using Mooer Shoorms on his Helix floor too. A man of knowledge and true taste.

Last edited:
For a touring band like that it’s a no brainer and a no brainer he’s using a Helix because it’s does the less gain drive tones RS uses better than any other modeler. Also the cabs behind him make a difference. I’ve said all along IR’s are the weakest link.

Last edited:
Line 6 takes a lot of flack around here for the JCM800 and Plexi models, so it's good to know they nailed the Orange Rockerverb to a point where a dedicated user couldn't tell the Helix model apart from the real thing. I think the poweramp+real cab makes a palpable difference too, but that doesn't lessen what they accomplished.

For a touring band like that it’s a no brainer and a no brainer he’s using a Helix because it’s does the less gain drive tones RS uses better than any other modeler. Also the cabs behind him make a difference. I’ve said all along IR’s are the weakest link.
IMHO this is just not true, edge of breakup and crunch sound so much better on the Axe. The Helix is fine and I don't see an issue using it if that's your budget or like the form factor but saying it's the best one at low gain is just wrong.

IMHO this is just not true, edge of breakup and crunch sound so much better on the Axe. The Helix is fine and I don't see an issue using it if that's your budget or like the form factor but saying it's the best one at low gain is just wrong.
Nothing is wrong when it’s subjective matters like tone preferences. Also to say Helix is a budget purchase compared to other choices is flat out laughable because that is by no means subjective.

Not sure. Not really less gain to my ears. He's a fuzz freak and a great majourity of his tones are Fuzz-centric.

Not sure. Not really less gain to my ears. He's a fuzz freak and a great majourity of his tones are Fuzz-centric.
True… more specifically I meant it’s low gain and he obviously hits that tone with pedals depending on the part. I think the Helix works better at that than other units I’ve tried.

IMHO this is just not true, edge of breakup and crunch sound so much better on the Axe.
I "live" in the edge of breakup/crunch zone, and I sold my FM9 because I didn't think it sounded better than the Helix (nor was it worse), and I significantly preferred the HX drives and the overall workflow of the the Helix.

What has this taught any of us?

Very little, other than all of this is entirely subjective and that we should all form our own opinions based on practical experience and not YouTube! ;)

The Helix is fine and I don't see an issue using it if that's your budget

For me, "budget" is entirely irrelevant - YMMV of course, but I don't use the Helix because it is "cheaper" than the Fractal offerings.

TGP holdover? I thought the Fractal people stopped with the backhanded "budget" references. I've owned an FM9 and I prefer Helix LT. Is that because I am too poor to buy an FM9?

200.gif

^^ .... nothing like a bit of damning praise followed up by a slap across the face with a wet fish ;)

Ben

Back