REVV amps opinions

For a while there, the Revv Red was my go to amp model on the Helix. But to be honest, lately I've been steering clear of amp modelling. I don't think I would buy a Revv given the amps I currently have in my posession. On the used market you can get a Dual Rectifier for £1600, which is significantly cheaper than a new Revv, and will just smash the tits off it. Then you've got the plethora of 5150 variants out there, JCM800 clones, etc etc.

Ultimately.... new amps are a tough sell at the prices they're asking for nowadays. Every fucker thinks they can charge Friedman prices, and I'm just really bored of seeing it now.

I really want to get away from the same old Marshall/mesa/5150’s and get into some of these newer companies but I just never hear anything that’s gonna make me do that

I've never heard a good high-gain tone that I can't at least partially map back to 5150, Recto, Mesa Mark or JCM800.

I've never heard a good high-gain tone that I can't at least partially map back to 5150, Recto, Mesa Mark or JCM800.

Yep. I think it’s boredom that makes us look at other amps, when the truth is there are only so many ways to build a circuit and these foundational amps already nailed it.

I’ve been interested in the Generator before, but could never pull the trigger for fear it would be similar to my experience with the Triple Crown. Lots of channels, modes, switches etc. (none of which sound bad) but totally lacking that something in character and personality.

I think the more options you pile on to those circuits, the more you lose from the core character of them.

My friend has a generator 100. It's pretty cool amp, and he likes it. That said he's had a number of problems with his. He was without the amp for almost 6 months too shortly after getting it because it had to go back to canada for a relay switching problem (it had been with a local authorized tech for quite some time before they determined they couldn't fix it). Not sure why at the point Revv didn't just send him a replacement

I think they sound good but also feel like they lack a little bit of their own character

I think the more options you pile on to those circuits, the more you lose from the core character of them.
Often the only difference between those amps with tons of switchable features and those that don't have them is that the manufacturer figured out the "best" component values, and didn't put them on a switch for you to pick.

The problem with amps that do have all those switches is that you usually find that you like one specific way to set them up, then never touch them again.

It's probably really hard to differentiate an amp from the competition these days.

Those blindfold challenges have proven that people (relatively famous people) cannot even
pick their own guitars out of a group of 5 or 6 similar guitars. :idk

a good chunk of my favorite tones are SS amps, theres a few like skid row's Rivera tones id have to put in there, but for all practical purposes i agree theres really not much you need other than those four.

Can't speak for the actual amp, but the Helix versions are pretty darn good.
Sorry, that's probably not helpful.:rofl

I owned a Generator MKII and did not like it. Very polished tone that didn't move the needle for me. Any other boutique amps you've considered?

Maybe the MKIII is better?

The D20, I owned, was a very good pedal platform, but then again, your drive pedals are shaping the tone. Well made, IMHO.

These quotes, along with the fact that I also like the Revv models in HX, and I’m currently running a couple of dirt pedals into the clean channel of my amp, are starting to make me think that I actually like that “generic” and polished amp tone, that doesn’t really sound like anything in particular.

🤔

These quotes, along with the fact that I also like the Revv models in HX, and I’m currently running a couple of dirt pedals into the clean channel of my amp, are starting to make me think that I actually like that “generic” and polished amp tone, that doesn’t really sound like anything in particular.

🤔

i can understand this. "neutral" i think is a friendlier term than "generic" which kind of gives off a negative vibe

🤔
It all goes out the window anyways when you change cab models, put a different boost in front, tweak the eq. There are useful tones with all the models in helix, just depends on the context of the song you're working on.

I really want to get away from the same old Marshall/mesa/5150’s and get into some of these newer companies but I just never hear anything that’s gonna make me do that
Guys like us before the surge of new amplifier outfits,
-can smell what their cooking from the menu.

That coupled with the current bloodbath upon resale after fee’s/shipping & frustrations etc,
-ain’t worth the troubles.

Makes ya’ grateful for what ya have.
The best part off buying new amps
is the feeling of relief after selling them.

Why would anyone buy a pair of shoes,
knowing they likely won’t fit,
-just for the comfort of taking them off??

THAT Racer.. is the #1 side effect of
gear acquisition syndrome..
How much will you save on the emotional tax
this time’round??

Cheers dude!!

It's probably really hard to differentiate an amp from the competition these days.

Agreed. I doubt there is much ground left uncovered for anything we’d consider a traditionally usable sound. The only thing you can use to differentiate your amp might be a unique feature set or branding.

i can understand this. "neutral" i think is a friendlier term than "generic" which kind of gives off a negative vibe

You know, I never really thought about this, but the more I do, the more it makes sense for my amp history. My favorite amps over time have been:

1. Various Riveras
2. Various Peaveys
3. Various H&Ks
3. Traynor YCS50
4. Tech 21 Trademark 60

I also never got into modeling to have "an exact replica of that amp", it's always been about the convenience, and having different sounds and effects in one box.

So I guess "my tone" is a "neutral tone" :eek: :rofl

Agreed. I doubt there is much ground left uncovered for anything we’d consider a traditionally usable sound. The only thing you can use to differentiate your amp might be a unique feature set or branding.
Yup, the cool "features" on the KSR Orion I picked up that are unique include the internal load that still uses the power section, negative feedback knob, Hi/Lo input.

Most definitely. I'll still get excited by new "modded" Marshall, Recto and 5150 variants, but my lesson with the vast Fractal library of models and cabs is that I will ultimately dial in whatever I choose to sound a certain way.

Back