REVV amps opinions

I really want to get away from the same old Marshall/mesa/5150’s and get into some of these newer companies but I just never hear anything that’s gonna make me do that
Try this

1694886393024.png

Never even seen a Revv in the wild. But have played the HX models and came right back to the Badonk while hoards of folks online sung their praise :rolleyes:

Preferences are one thing, but if you can't get an absolutely AWESOME recording out of a Revv, you have much much much bigger problems.
We are not saying they sound awful
They sound fine but maybe just a bit pedestrian compared to other amps in the same class
For useful features though they are very competitive and I don’t see many brands bringing things like gates and Ir loaders to the table
Until Revv did it

I’ve had a Generator 120mk2 last summer. It is a great sounding amp with lots of options. Again, as pointed out, it is a very polished tone. I really like the purple channel. The onboard two notes and noise gate are great.

They have some great customer support if you ever have any issues. Mine had an issue and kept blowing tubes. It was sent back and returned to me in a couple of weeks.

Nothing bad to say about it.

I’ve had a Generator 120mk2 last summer. It is a great sounding amp with lots of options. Again, as pointed out, it is a recorded ready tone or as some say polished. I really like the purple channel.

Nothing bad to say about it.
How would you compare it to say something like a Bogner Red
Could you get similar tone with the bright fat cut switches on
Obviously different feel but was purple capable of getting in the ballpark for guy drop D AIC , Shinedown stuff

How would you compare it to say something like a Bogner Red
Could you get similar tone with the bright fat cut switches on
Obviously different feel but was purple capable of getting in the ballpark for guy drop D AIC , Shinedown stuff

There is no comparison.
I had the 20th Bogner el-34 and that amp was awesome. Just a chewiness that the Revv doesn’t have.

However, for the stuff you want to play though, the Revv will have no problem sounding great doing that. It’s kind of its own thing.

How close would you say the Fractal modelling is to the Revv from your memory ?
The Fractal models to me almost seem thin like they are missing some low mid , scooped sounding and to me have a weird feel
Tight but not percussive , Still kind of a boomy low end
It's been about 4 years so my memory won't be great not have a played the fractal models because I didn't like the real amp lol

It just doesn't have the rawness of "classic" amps

I think it is very, very telling that no one seems to own or use a Revv after owning or using a Revv.
I think that seems to be par for the course with all these boutique builders , even the Wizards that are supposed to the most amazing tones , I see them flipped more that any others , maybe buyers remorse at the price tag or threat of divorce 🤔

I find most guys usually end up back at a Marshall or Mesa it’s funny

i went and watched these two demos while reading this thread and it reminded me why i never pulled the trigger, to put it nicely no thank you lol

i went and watched these two demos while reading this thread and it reminded me why i never pulled the trigger, to put it nicely no thank you lol

ya I am not a fan of those tones or at least the way they are dialled in , the just have a huge hyped lows ,and hollow metallic midrange , they sound like a distortion pedal to me

I had a Revv Generator 120MkIII, but found it to be very "sterile" sounding. Had a huge array of options and features, but lacked "personality" to my ears. I don't use any pedals in front of the amp other than a wah, and rely on the amp's own preamp for gain - might be a great option for those who use ODs and such up front to color the tone? As always, YMMV! Rock on!

very "sterile" sounding

That's how I would describe the Engl I had a while back. Great sounding modern metal tone but very uninspiring to play. And 100% - KSR needs better demo videos. Someone yesterday mentioned Shawn Tubbs. Tim Pierce would be another good choice. He had a blast with the new Lynx.

It's funny that some people spend a lot of time trying to get rid of the "warts and all" of old school amps, then another group complains when modern amps don't have those aspects.

I used to think I wanted amps with all the bells and whistles but the more I learn the more I find that something that does a couple of things really well ends up working better than something that tries to be everything for everyone.

Back