Retro rack build - Synergy / TC Electronic / Mesa 2: Ninety

Desertdweller

Roadie
I've been on board with the Synergy systems for a couple years now and find them just incredible. Since Mesa doesn't appear to be ready to follow-up the Triaxis with a newer model, I did the thing - I made a rack rig with the IICP and the DRECT into a 2:Ninety power amp.

Back in the 2000s I played live with a Triaxis, G Force, and 2:Ninety, so this rack build was a bit of a homecoming. I used a Gator 14" 6 space rack, and the 2:Ninety fit perfectly in there, as long as I used right angle connections on the back so I can close the back lid. Since the Syn 2 doesn't have the ability to send relays like the Triaxis, I added D'Addario right angle latching plugs so I can keep Deep and Modern on all the time, or press the little red buttons on them to turn one or both off if I wish. I never have had a need for half drive, and I basically do the 90s Petrucci thing where I just keep Deep and Modern on all the time.

I selected the G-Force over the Axe FX 2 as the rack effects unit not because it's better, but because it's home. I used it for 12 years from 1999 to 2010 in hundreds of live shows and rehearsals, so going back to it just felt so good.

So yeah, this is a pretty slick little retro rack build. Here's some shots of it in my music room and a video clip. In the video clip I used the killer feature of the G-Force, using the pitch modifier LFO to kick in delay and reverb when I play lead and then it goes stark dry with just the gate when I I switch to rhythm.

rack65.jpg
1000005796.jpg
Rack back.jpg
Rack side.jpg

Video:
I am running a Maxon 808 as a boost out front for the DRECT module.

Last edited:
I was also gigging a Triaxis/2:90 around that same period. I loved that rig to death. Literally. The 2:90 combusted in front of me and my friend’s cat while rocking out in his basement one afternoon. Never got it working again, sold it for parts.

I’d love a mono simul 90 honestly. I wonder if Mesa will ever reimagine the triaxis. I’d suffer through another rack to live that reality.

I was also gigging a Triaxis/2:90 around that same period. I loved that rig to death. Literally. The 2:90 combusted in front of me and my friend’s cat while rocking out in his basement one afternoon. Never got it working again, sold it for parts.

I’d love a mono simul 90 honestly. I wonder if Mesa will ever reimagine the triaxis. I’d suffer through another rack to live that reality.
They did make that! The simul satellite, i believe originally meant to partner with a Mark IV.

They did make that! The simul satellite, i believe originally meant to partner with a Mark IV.
Eh I’m not a fan of mesas combos. Maybe the chassis can be lifted and thrown in one of their rack mount kits though. That could be cool.

I tried chasing a simul satellite back when I had my Studio Preamp but they were unobtanium then. Probably even more so now.

Back