Restringing Guitars

la szum

Goatlord
To change strings or not to change strings, that is the question. :idk

I think the odds are less than 50/50 that I actually restring 2 of my guitars tonight.

I do have them out on the couch---and literally in my face---so if I sit down on my
ass and watch TV they will be taunting me, chiding me to follow through.

Will I? We'll find out. :lol

So are you "Wait until the guitar is almost unplayable before you change strings" person,
or a "I do what is right in a timely fashion, because why would I do it any differently" type
of person?

I either wait until the overtones from the high strings are unbearable, or until one breaks. Unless it's a fresh set, then just that string gets replaced. But that's quite rare. I HATE changing strings!!

Last edited:
If you have locking tuners, it makes it less of a chore? 🤷‍♂️

In any case.... why not just do 1 of the 2 tonight and then put your feet up and do the other one tomorrow?

I tend to get a fairly strong "yuk" reaction every time this comes up on a guitar-related forum, but I don't like changing strings either so I use coated strings and don't have to change for 3 months or more. Extra cost is easily factored out.

I know most of you guys will already hate coated strings, but just sayin' 😄

(also, I have SS frets, so it solves the "eating through nickel" issue too)

If I ever give up on coated, then I'm going the Mark Speer (Khruangbin) route!

Last edited:
If you have locking tuners, it makes it less of a chore? 🤷‍♂️

In any case.... why not just do 1 of the 2 tonight and then put your feet up and do the other one tomorrow?
Eh, once you have everything out, may as well do both. Plus, if you're like me, once you get started, it's easy to keep the momentum and just get-er-done.

I tend to get a fairly strong "yuk" reaction every time this comes up on a guitar-related forum, but I don't like changing strings either so I use coated strings and don't have to change for 3 months or more. Extra cost is easily factored out.

I must pick hard, because coated strings lose their coating too quick for me. Then they sound weird.

Only downside with plastic coating is that the strings are noticeably thicker...

and YELLOW. This is my number one right now:

jellodog-number-1-guitar.png

She's a beauty though, and totally WORTH IT.

Me: "change strings frequently because I'm terrified of breaking one during a show"

I hate changing strings, but there's nothing worse than breaking one in the middle of a show.

Do you use 9 gauge? Just wondering, because I never break strings. I use 10-46.

You too must do much more RAWK than me. Or perhaps you have infinitely more funk in your trunk.

Last edited:

Please tell us they are not Neon Green, Yellow, or Pink. :hmm

:LOL:

I like changing strings, they're like fresh bedsheets for your fingertips.

I do make myself hold out, though. I always start the final tracking of a new song with fresh strings, by the time I'm done they're well on their way out, so I'll start writing the new one with the old set and once I start hearing the brightness lost in the strings, I need to fight myself to not re-string until it's time to track. That's literally how I forced myself to finish writing that last song I posted. :rofl

On average a pack of strings lasts about 8-10 hours of playing on them for me, once that initial brightness goes away I'll change them. It's surprisingly not-so-subtle how much of a contributing factor that is on a recording, even with the heavier distorted guitars.

And I hate picking up a guitar for the first time in a few months and it's got dead strings, I did that with my SZ a couple weeks ago and even though I'm not using that guitar for anything, changed strings because it just wasn't fun to play. I LOVE everything about new strings, the sound, the feel, it's absolutely worth the 10 minutes it takes to change them. Even less with the Evertune!

Yu
Me: "change strings frequently because I'm terrified of breaking one during a show"

I hate changing strings, but there's nothing worse than breaking one in the middle of a show.

When I was gigging on the regular a weekly change was essential. Still broke strings,
and that was why I always had another guitar tuned and ready to go.

Now I am a lazy, semi-retired, not-so-pro musician. Hence, me kicking the can down
the road on string changes.
:whistle

I didn't really pay attention to the Elixir coated strings until I got an ESP E-II that came stock with Nanowebs. Was pretty impressed. Now, they are the only strings I use. So nice to spend less time changing strings.

@Lopp

I used Nanowebs for about 4 years... then the Elixir Optiwebs for another 2; they've been great. And now that the Elixir patent has expired... I've moved on to trailing the D'Addario XS for a bit, because I liked the tuning stability of the uncoated NYXLs that I'd tried. I've never broken any of them ever.

When I was gigging, I’d change them often for the obvious reasons. These days I play em till one breaks or the tone becomes such that I don’t care for it. Strange because I have locking tuners on all of them which makes changing them quick and painless, except for my Ibanez which is a much more involved process…

Back