Restringing Guitars

@Lopp

I used Nanowebs for about 4 years... then the Elixir Optiwebs for another 2; they've been great. And now that the Elixir patent has expired... I've moved on to trailing the D'Addario XS for a bit, because I liked the tuning stability of the uncoated NYXLs that I'd tried. I've never broken any of them ever.
Good tips. Those D'Addario strings are pretty expensive. I had tried the coated Cleartone strings, which are cheaper and pretty good. Think I'll give those NYXL strings a try.

If only because they come with a free "D'Addario Pro-Winder - Guitar String Winder, Guitar String Cutter, Guitar Bridge Pin Puller - Ultimate Ergonomic All in One Guitar Tool for Restringing" on Amazon!

Good tips. Those D'Addario strings are pretty expensive.

They are, but if they last 3 - 4 times as long, then the cost works out the same or better as it does for regular strings. Plus ... your time "Not changing strings" is surely worth something to you, right?

For me, they last much much longer, but I appreciate that other guitarists aren't as lame as me.

They are, but if they last 3 - 4 times as long, then the cost works out the same or better as it does for regular strings. Plus ... your time "Not changing strings" is surely worth something to you, right?

For me, they last much much longer, but I appreciate that other guitarists aren't as lame as me.
Yeah. Love "not changing strings." Do they last longer than the Nanowebs? They seem pricier than those.

Yeah. Love "not changing strings." Do they last longer than the Nanowebs? They seem pricier than those.

The D'Addario XS? I'm sorry to report that I'm not sure about their comparative longevity at this stage - I'm only on my second set, and I've not payed enough attention to the passing of time.

Also, I don't know where you're buying them from, but they were more expensive than Elixir on Amazon (CA), which initially put me off; but similarly priced to Elixirs in a local music store.

Last edited:

I've never used them on an electric, but I put them on my acoustic because I rarely play it, they hold up pretty damn well. I think they're the XT's. I strung it up last year and only changed strings recently because I drunkenly snapped a string and felt guilty about not changing them, they still sounded pretty damn good for being a year old and having maybe 8 hours of play on them.

Well now. This is the least hate I've heard for coated strings evarrr. 😄. Surprising. This forum might be a special case, for sure.

I totally get the allure and need for a fresh set of new uncoated strings for recording, though.

I have but once concern about coated strings, though. 🤔 However, I am loathe to repeat it here, lest I instill an unnecessary anxiety in you all.

they still sounded pretty damn good for being a year old and having maybe 8 hours of play on them.

My Jazzmaster doesn't come out of its case much these days, and I was delighted recently to return to it after about 6 months, to find it in tune and sounding exactly the same as when I'd put it away. Now there's an argument for the coated string; for the lesser played guitars, for sure.

I tried NYXLs for the first time after years of using Elixirs (nano and opti). A tech put them on my guitar and I loved the sound of them.
After that I wanted to try D'addario's coated XS strings to see if they sounded like the NYXL - they didn't. :(

That was slightly disappointing...they also went dull way faster than the Elixirs that I'm used to. I have one more set of XS to try, but after that I'll probably go back to the Elixirs if the second try isn't any better.

Wondering if I fell victim to the 'fake strings on Amazon' thing that seems more common these days? I'd rather just go to a music store to buy strings now that there's a place closer to me. I'd like to think that an actual retail store has proper channel to acquire the genuine article?

My Jazzmaster doesn't come out of its case much these days, and I was delighted recently to return to it after about 6 months, to find it in tune and sounding exactly the same as when I'd put it away. Now there's an argument for the coated string; for the lesser played guitars, for sure.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of coated strings and actually, if I record with that acoustic, I have the wear the strings down a bit because they're too bright in a not good way. I think I tried using Elixers when they first came out and nope, just not for me. I'm fine with them on an acoustic, I'm not really digging into the strings and bending a lot and mostly playing chords on that because I suck dog ass on an acoustic.

I tried NYXLs for the first time after years of using Elixirs (nano and opti). A tech put them on my guitar and I loved the sound of them.
After that I wanted to try D'addario's coated XS strings to see if they sounded like the NYXL - they didn't. :(

That was slightly disappointing...they also went dull way faster than the Elixirs that I'm used to. I have one more set of XS to try, but after that I'll probably go back to the Elixirs if the second try isn't any better.

Wondering if I fell victim to the 'fake strings on Amazon' thing that seems more common these days? I'd rather just go to a music store to buy strings now that there's a place closer to me. I'd like to think that an actual retail store has proper channel to acquire the genuine article?

Hahaha yeah they are definitely not the same. Nothing has beat NYXL's for me so far, I absolutely love the sound and feel of those strings.

I change them about once a month on my #1 (LP), more if I have a bunch of gigs or practices. On my #2 (Strat), probably every 2 months.

I don’t mind changing strings and actually enjoy the routine/focus/ritual. And it only takes me 15min or so and is well worth it.

(Although I actually hate brand new strings, prefer them 2-3 days old and worked in a bit. New ones are so bright.)

I use D’Addario Pure Nickel 10-46.

Last edited:
I like changing strings, they're like fresh bedsheets for your fingertips.

I do make myself hold out, though. I always start the final tracking of a new song with fresh strings, by the time I'm done they're well on their way out, so I'll start writing the new one with the old set and once I start hearing the brightness lost in the strings, I need to fight myself to not re-string until it's time to track. That's literally how I forced myself to finish writing that last song I posted. :rofl

On average a pack of strings lasts about 8-10 hours of playing on them for me, once that initial brightness goes away I'll change them. It's surprisingly not-so-subtle how much of a contributing factor that is on a recording, even with the heavier distorted guitars.

And I hate picking up a guitar for the first time in a few months and it's got dead strings, I did that with my SZ a couple weeks ago and even though I'm not using that guitar for anything, changed strings because it just wasn't fun to play. I LOVE everything about new strings, the sound, the feel, it's absolutely worth the 10 minutes it takes to change them. Even less with the Evertune!
LAST thing I ever wanted to think about is @DrewJD82 bedsheets. Lol

Have you tried matches?

Last edited:
Heavy gigging, at least every other month. Now that I'm not gigging I'll go until I just can't stand how dead they sound and then change them

Back