Relic a Guitar on Purpose?

See, it this were the eighties we would just assume that cocaine was involved and call it good.

No lie, I use to make cribbage boards when I'd get really grinding.

I hadn't thought about that in ages. My wife - then GF - and I would play
the game all the time when frosted so the boards got immediate use. :giggle:

Aged Gibson 2.jpg

No relic guitars for me, ever. I don't care how it was done. I sure as heck am not paying more for it. I would pay more for the new looking guitar.

They feel so much more natural and comfortable to me than shiny new guitars.

The best by far are the ones that have naturally aged from me personally playing them so long, but fake aging can still feel better than shiny new

Fair enough but it takes a long time to do well so costing more is not a surprise .
Yep, I totally get that it takes more labor and that is why they cost more. I just don't like the end result and would rather have the new looking guitar. That way it's story is mine.

I also understand if they are trying to create a replica of a famous guitar. I am not a buyer for that either. That guitar belonged to someone famous and has it's own story. If I want to connect with that player, I will learn their songs and connect through the music.

I have never really understood the whole relic guitar thing or desired to own one. I can make a new guitar play like I want it to and if the fretboard needs the edges rolled a bit, I can do that too. I know some tricks to get the same sound and feel without the extra wear being manually added. I have had to work for everything I own and I like to take good care of my stuff and keep it looking as new as possible for as long as possible. I am sure that is the main reason I have never liked a relic guitar.

You're a glass half empty kind of guy, eh? :giggle:

I'd pay more to get jeans that are already broken in and comfortable.
I am actually someone that looks on the positive side of things. I am very appreciative for all of the things I have. I look for the good in all musicians I meet and not run them down for any shortcomings they may have. I have met many musicians that can only seem to focus on what a person can't do compared to them instead of looking at the good in what the person is able to do.

I just don't understand paying new, or more, prices for things that are "worn in." To me, that is taking advantage of a customer.

Difference between a pair of worn jeans and a relic’d guitar- I don’t have to worry about my balls falling out from behind the pickguard of a relic’d guitar.

If you're running around nekkid playing a relic'd strat I would suggest keeping the back cover installed over the trem springs for safety. Just a guess...

Back