Pushing myself - taking gigs outside my comfort zone

Speaking of 8va, I don’t understand why arrangers sometimes don’t use it. I feel like anything over 3 ledger lines above the staff should always be written 8va.

Look at the difference between the top line and the bottom line here. Also why did you 8va one line and not the other!? :wat

View attachment 28087
it’d be even better if they’d notate it at concert pitch instead of the guitar octave down transposition.

Heck, I’d prefer grand staff at concert pitch for guitar.

I remember in my early days of reading concert pitch being yelled at that I played it an octave lower than written.lol

it’d be even better if they’d notate it at concert pitch instead of the guitar octave down transposition.

Heck, I’d prefer grand staff at concert pitch for guitar.

I remember in my early days of reading concert pitch being yelled at that I played it an octave lower than written.lol

I’ve always liked the idea of guitar music on a grand staff at concert pitch

Wait, they're expecting you to play 16th-triplets (or even seventuplets) at 134BPM?

Yep, there are a few places in the show with stuff like this.

I especially like this one where, after the solo section at the top they say to play a “Wild solo!”

Now that you’ve played that sextuplet run at 134bpm play something even more wild! :rofl

IMG_3957.jpeg

It is to notate whammy moves.
There are two. One is scoop into the note
As in depress bar , strike note, release bar

And the other is strike note, pull up bar a half step, release bar.

Hey Ed, what's the standard way of transcribing Carnatic compositions?

Considering you have multiple options when playing an A-440, how to you determine the fret/string on the fly?
Is it simply a learning process where eventually it becomes second nature?

That’s the hardest part of reading for guitar. You can’t just look at the note, you have to look at the context of the phrase the note is in to determine what position it should be played.

Over time you learn to recognize familiar patterns and “guitarisms” that help to identify these things more quickly

? Scale patterns…how is that an issue?

Not everyone has that kind of speed on tap.

I know college profs who have forgotten more about chord theory than I’ll ever know who would be unable to play that line

This line is giving me trouble. I can’t seem to find a way to make it lay well on the fretboard. Any suggestions?

134bpm and the G and C are sharp

IMG_3958.jpeg

Index finger bar on the 9th fret D-G-B strings. The C# 3rd note is ring finger 11th fret D string and then a pull off to the B note.
Leaves your pinky to play the extra top notes.

????

Last edited:
Index finger bar on the 9th fret D-G-B strings. The C# 3rd note is ring finger 11th fret D string and then a pull off to the B note.
Leaves your pinky to play the extra top notes.

????

That'd be my first idea, too.

However, I'm still wondering about, say, bar 140 of the first example on the previous page. Defenitely nothing I could do. We're talking about this (copied it 4 times, forgive the horrible synth sound):

Back